Wedding Party

Subscription services as bridesmaid gifts?

I read this idea in TK magazine, and I just wanted to run it by y'all. What if I got my bridesmaids subscription services for their gifts? Now, hear me out--obviously I'd give them small, personalized, "as if I shopped for their birthday" gifts the day of my wedding, but I think it'd be nice to have a gift waiting for them at home, too, and then it is literally a gift that keeps on giving.

I'm thinking ArtSnacks for my hella artistically talented MOH, Darby Smart for my DIY-loving bridesmaid, Just the Right Book! for my bookworm bridesmaid, BarkBox for my bridesmaid who spoils her dog,* and Julep for my bridesmaid who always has impeccable nails.

So, what do you ladies think? Other facts I feel it is important to know: I'd do yearly subscriptions and all those I just listed are around the same price per month. 

*If it's weird that the gift is more for her dog than for her, Just the Right Book! would work for this bridesmaid as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Subscription services as bridesmaid gifts?

• I think its a good idea.

My dog gets barkbox and loves it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • At first I thought you were talking about subscriptions to magazines. But then I realized these girls would actually be getting monthly deliveries of cool stuff that fits their hobbies, so that is just awesome. I would be beyond ecstatic to get a gift like that. If you think it's stuff they'd like and use, do it! 

ETA: and I would not do the BarkBox thing, 1) because it's more for the dog so what's she gonna do with it? She can't use it, she can just watch her dog use the stuff, and 2) because some dog owners already have TONS of toys and dog stuff and do not need more on a monthly basis. We have an over-flowing toy basket, far too many bags of treats, multiple collars and leashes, etc, and getting more each month would be a nightmare lol 
    Thanks for the input. If her Facebook is any indication, she does give him a lot of treats and such, and she even got my crafty bridesmaid to crochet him a scarf and it's the damned cutest thing ever and I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I think this would be nice!
  • I like this idea.
  • At first I thought you were talking about subscriptions to magazines. But then I realized these girls would actually be getting monthly deliveries of cool stuff that fits their hobbies, so that is just awesome. I would be beyond ecstatic to get a gift like that. If you think it's stuff they'd like and use, do it! 

ETA: and I would not do the BarkBox thing, 1) because it's more for the dog so what's she gonna do with it? She can't use it, she can just watch her dog use the stuff, and 2) because some dog owners already have TONS of toys and dog stuff and do not need more on a monthly basis. We have an over-flowing toy basket, far too many bags of treats, multiple collars and leashes, etc, and getting more each month would be a nightmare lol 
    Thanks for the input. If her Facebook is any indication, she does give him a lot of treats and such, and she even got my crafty bridesmaid to crochet him a scarf and it's the damned cutest thing ever and I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
    Elaborating on this, I got one bark box for 2 dogs and I had to cancel it after 6 months because I just got SO MANY TREATS there was no way I'd use them all. I'm not a "treat everyday for going to the bathroom" owner, so maybe those use up the treats month to month, but it was getting a bit overflowing. One positive thing is that I could donate the toys that my dogs didn't like and the unused treats to the shelter. 

Elaborating on this, I got one bark box for 2 dogs and I had to cancel it after 6 months because I just got SO MANY TREATS there was no way I'd use them all. I'm not a "treat everyday for going to the bathroom" owner, so maybe those use up the treats month to month, but it was getting a bit overflowing. One positive thing is that I could donate the toys that my dogs didn't like and the unused treats to the shelter. 
    Yeah, some of those doggy subscription boxes also have cat versions, and considering my cat prefers boxes to any toy we've ever given him and it took us six months to go through a bag of treats for him, I've put myself in my bridesmaid's shoes and decided that would just be so much waste. Bookmarking the treat and toy donation to shelter idea, though.

• I absolutely adore this idea, as long as you think (which is sounds like you do!) that your BP will actually use whatever subscription that you get them.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm totally stealing this idea. My MOH and one of my bridesmaids are both huge makeup junkies. I get Ipsy and love it, I think I'll get them some kind of makeup sample subscription for their gifts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'd like it as a gift!  My friend recently got me a subscription to birch box as a birthday gift and I love it!   I plan on continuing my subscription once it is up.   
  • This is seriously a genius idea

YOU GO, GLEN COCO.

Yeah, some of those doggy subscription boxes also have cat versions, and considering my cat prefers boxes to any toy we've ever given him and it took us six months to go through a bag of treats for him, I've put myself in my bridesmaid's shoes and decided that would just be so much waste. Bookmarking the treat and toy donation to shelter idea, though.
    This makes me wonder if one could gift such a subscription directly TO a shelter? Or perhaps it would be better to just arrange for grocery delivery of pet food to the shelter. I kind of want to do this now. The Humane Society branch where we got our cat will sometimes post requests through FB so I know they run low on food/litter/whatever occasionally.
  • If I were your bridesmaid and I got this as my gift, I WOULD. LOVE. IT. Yes! I would so do it. 
  • My best friend is in medical school rotations working in a hospital and she is there sometimes 14-24 hour shifts with barely any food. So I got her the subscription for NatureBox healthy snacks. So definitely do it!

• I love the idea! Other options: year subscription to Amazon Prime, beer or wine of the month clubs... Damn I wish I had thought of this.

Anniversary

This makes me wonder if one could gift such a subscription directly TO a shelter? Or perhaps it would be better to just arrange for grocery delivery of pet food to the shelter. I kind of want to do this now. The Humane Society branch where we got our cat will sometimes post requests through FB so I know they run low on food/litter/whatever occasionally.
    I know that with Barkbox if you had a friend sign up you got one box free or could choose to donate your box (when I was there it went to pets that were re-homed because their humans were deployed). I don't remember if you could just flat out donate one, although they were an awesome company and I bet you could always ask!

I know that with Barkbox if you had a friend sign up you got one box free or could choose to donate your box (when I was there it went to pets that were re-homed because their humans were deployed). I don't remember if you could just flat out donate one, although they were an awesome company and I bet you could always ask!
    Cool, thank you!
  • This is a great idea, but I'm mostly just commenting in hopes that a photo will be posted of the dog in a scarf, because that would totally make my day :)
  • kikilamp said:

This is a great idea, but I'm mostly just commenting in hopes that a photo will be posted of the dog in a scarf, because that would totally make my day :)

Fine, I got this from Buzzfeed, but when I promise, I deliver.

• I also love this idea and am planning on doing this for my bridesmaids as well. 

What do you all think would be a good way to present this kind of gift to your bridesmaids since there wouldn't be anything tangible to gift? Would it be appropriate to write a heartfelt note/card and include information about the subscription maybe on a separate sheet of paper?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    How about putting a nice card and the subscription information in good envelopes? You could add seals and ties for extra touches.
  • I also love this idea and am planning on doing this for my bridesmaids as well. 

What do you all think would be a good way to present this kind of gift to your bridesmaids since there wouldn't be anything tangible to gift? Would it be appropriate to write a heartfelt note/card and include information about the subscription maybe on a separate sheet of paper?
    Or you can gift them the 'first installment' of their subscription; a bottle of wine to go with the Wine of the Month subscription, a nice hardcover thrift store book for the Book of the Month subscription.  Or you can do something that 'Goes With' their gift; a bottle opener for the Wine of the Month, a fuzzy couch blanket for the Book of the Month.
  • edited March 2015
    adk19 said:

I also love this idea and am planning on doing this for my bridesmaids as well. 

Or you can gift them the 'first installment' of their subscription; a bottle of wine to go with the Wine of the Month subscription, a nice hardcover thrift store book for the Book of the Month subscription.  Or you can do something that 'Goes With' their gift; a bottle opener for the Wine of the Month, a fuzzy couch blanket for the Book of the Month.

I was thinking a little gift plus a card, but I really like adk19's idea!

• adk19 said:

I love this idea. Three of my bridesmaids are flying in from out of the country so it definitely needs to be something that doesn't take up much space and weight in their suitcases. But I wanted to gift them more than just a card so this is perfect.
  • adk19 said:

I would love getting a subscription (whether a box of something or a magazine like one of the PPs thought it was).  I also like this idea of how to give it to them.  Can I be your bridesmaid?
  • I think this is a great idea too! Especially since you are planning on getting each person something that they would personally enjoy. We are doing beer of the month for the groomsmen because they are all big into craft beers, and I have been considering some sort of subscription for some of the girls too. It's the gift that keeps on giving :)
  • Not going to lie, totally stealing this idea for my MOH. She loves video games and is a self-professed nerd, so I'm going to buy her three months worth of a subscription box called Nerd Block - each box comes with assorted video game collectibles like T-shirts, plush dolls, etc. I asked her boyfriend ahead of time if he thought that she would like this, and he was sure she'll be thrilled! So I think for her physical gift, I'll give her something small, like a video game character keychain or some such, with a card that further explains the subscription box and how many months I ordered for her. She'll love it, I can't wait to give it to her!
  • I'm doing wine of the month for one of my BMs, too! At the wedding I'm giving her a wine stopper, because I thought it would be a pain in the butt for her to fly back with a bottle of wine or wine glasses, but I love the subscription service idea!  One of my other BMs is a total foodie, so I might get her a subscription to one of those services that drops off fresh ingredients and a recipe.  I'm giving most of them physical gifts, but some of them are getting subscriptions instead.  Honestly, I'd prefer a subscription to a necklace or something!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards