Not Engaged Yet
Options

Proposal stories, please!

Good morning everyone! I don't usually start conversations but I am bored at work and I love hearing proposal stories (I am a hopeful romatic) so share yours with me! Did you help pick out the ring? Did you know it was coming? Was he acting strange around the time it happened?

If you are NEY, how would you want to be proposed to? Do you want a say in the ring?

I am a pretty simple gal so I wouldn't want anything over the top, nor do I want an audience but that's just me. I go back and forth on whether I would want to help with the ring but I think I will have a say anyway since he asked my opinion a couple years ago. (We still aren't engaged yet because, long story short, at the time he was looking for a ring he was working FT and sadly was laid off. He has been doing contracts off and on since). I have said a couple things but mostly stayed out of it when he was looking and gave my opinion only when he asked. Anyway, tell me your stories or fantasies! Happy Thursday!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 

Re: Proposal stories, please!

• Options
    Wow @cu97tiger that is so awesome he had so many of your close people there. That takes a lot of planning!
  • Options
    @swazzle What a great story and a beautiful ring! I am sorry about your grandfather. I have no grandparents left and haven't for several years. I would give my right arm to see them again. I was engaged over a decade ago and he broke it off due to cold feet, thank god since I realized later he was not the man of my dreams, just a friend. Anyway, I remember my grandmother saying "Don't worry, I was a late bride too (my grandmother is a strict Italian catholic), I didn't marry until I was 27. Now every year since I turned 27 I think about how disappointed she must be that I am still unwed with no children. I know it's silly but we had such a great relationship and I wonder what she would be saying to me now :)
  • Options
    @Loves2dream - I'm sure she would tell you that it's better to wait and make the right choice than to rush into it because of your age! 

• Options
    I'm NEY but I have told my bf that I wanna help pick my ring and not to propose to me in front of people. I really cherish the time we have alone together and I have social anxiety and I hate the spotlight so I want a private, quiet proposal. He agrees about the proposal part but not the me helping with the ring part. He wants it to be a total surprise I guess lol
  • Options

I love the stories!! Makes me think of my sister's engagement. She spent the night at my house all the time and her BF was in Iraq at the time. She usually gets up before me, grabs some cash and goes to Caribou for us in the morning. So she gets back and I am still sleeping and then suddenly she bursts in my room and tells me "Jason proposed, Jason proposed!!" I was like "Yea right, Ang" (they had been dating like 6 years, he was away for the Army and in general just sort of slow at these things so I didn't believe her). She was like no really! He proposed and is getting me a ring when he got home. I realized when I pulled the blanket from my face and saw her face that she was telling the truth! So we yelled and screamed and then grabbed our coffee and drove straight to my parent's house 6 miles away.

So he gets back from Iraq and my sister started looking at rings and wanted a pear shape. Jason was saving his money and they were looking for a long time. So one day she is in the shower, yes the shower, and he comes in and asks "So, you wanted a pear shape diamond?" and she says yes and he was like "Like this?" and shows her a ring. And, in Angela fashion, says "Yea, where did you get that?" He said "I bought it." and she was like, "Oh, why?" She has no clue this ring is for her and thought maybe he borrowed it to show her (?) so Jason has to actually explain that he bought her a damn ring! It is a funny story in my family because this is the same sister who had no idea that star fish and sea horses were real until she went to an aquarium in DC with her BF. She isn't dumb by any means, just a little bit in the clouds at times. It was hilarious! I still laugh about it.

• Options
    My FI threw me a surprise birthday party last summer (my birthday is Christmas Eve) because I've only had a couple parties in my life thanks to the holiday birthday. He did a big elaborate thing at the party in front of my friends, pretending the ring fell out of a pinata he was making me hit.

It was pretty embarrassing, truthfully. I'm not into being the centre of attention. But it was a nice thought and he did take care to only invite my best friends, so...yeah. I'm not mad about it or anything but the big "show" thing was not really something I needed or wanted.

We'd bought the ring a couple months earlier. Picked it out together online, it came in, I tried it on, and he hid it until he could get his big elaborate plan together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh I just loooove reading these stories!! As someone currently wishing and hoping, it is really nice to hear about other peoples' experiences. I tear up so much every time!
  • Options
    I'm on mobile so I'm giving the short version.

It is our tradition since we moved to BC to go skiing on our anniversary. So for our 9th (Dec 2013) we drove out to Sun Peaks to ski for two days. Due to our work schedules, we couldn't actually ski that day so we went snowshoeing instead. I totally knew it was about to happen but the moment itself was still a surprise! We were in the middle of the snowy forest at sunset when he asked me to turn around in a slightly weird tone. Poor guy. I'd been having fun and chattering away and he'd been holding the ring trying to find a good spot for at least five minutes and couldn't get me to shut up. We didn't announce it until our mini vacation was over which was fun.

H designed my ring so I did have input. We each had specifics we liked in rings I tried on so he combined them all in a custom ring. I love it so much. Picture 1 from right after he proposed, picture 2 from our wedding.

I knew it was coming since it was basically assumed between us it was happening on that trip. Plus I saw him slip the box into his ski jacket so.. yeah. He was acting super nervous but that didn't shock me. Poor guy knew 10000% I was saying yes but was so stressed about what to say and when to do it. He ended up forgetting his planned speech but the fact it was from the heart in the moment was even better.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards