Chit Chat
Options

I am so torn about this!

So some of my friends from HS started this company/app thing called Slingr. Yay for them for being creative and relatively successful in something that they enjoy.

However, what is Slingr you ask? It's a app that allows you to "check in" on FB and your friends can buy you food and drink, which is then routed to the restaurant/bar and voila! Food and drinks served to you purchased by your friends.

I find this so. tacky.

I mean, really you're begging your friends to buy you food and drinks. I would NEVER do that if I'm out with a friend. I get that the concept is just "hey if you want to buy me a drink then you can do that even from across the world!" And that's cool. But I DON'T think that it's cool that it's posted straight up on their FB wall. You're basically standing up in a bar and saying "WHO WANTS TO BUY ME A DRINK!" Like seriously guys? Ugh.

I can't be the only one to dislike this idea? Would you use it? What do you think of it? Good idea or yucky?

Re: I am so torn about this!

• Options
    I kind of like it I have friends who on new years etc I would love to buy a drink for but are scattered around the country and world so unable to so it would be lovely to be able to do this. Also be useful if one was to forget money it could be sorted out electronically . think its very icky if it turns into a go fund me and people start begging for freebies from their friends.
  • Options
    MobKaz said:

So.....I am out with friends enjoying food and beverages, decide I want someone else to "comp" the cost, so I use the app to beg from "friends" I chose NOT to include on my fun night out.  This app makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Yea basically.

They try to "advertise" it as a way to partake in the fun with friends who you can't physically be with (like I said, across the country or across the world).

I mean, it's not like they post "GIMME FOOD GIMME FOOD!" The check ins are just simple like "Fernando S has checked in at [place] with Slingr! Click here to buy me a drink!"
  • Options
    I get where they're coming from and I have been known to purchase drinks for friends halfway across the world via the more old fashioned way (saw they checked into a place on Facebook --> called that place and gave them my credit card and told them to bring my friend a drink - awesome!) so for that purpose an app like that could be really great, buuuuut as PPs have noted I see this turning into a huge pile of tacky really quickly. 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options
    I agree - I think this is a really weird idea. I have no problem buying my friends dinner / drinks, but I'd prefer doing it when we can actually enjoy each other's company. I'd never use the app to buy something for someone else, and I would feel super greedy or tacky using it when I go out to eat soliciting my friends for money. 
  • Options
    As long it just posts to your newsfeed and whoever can see it sees it, that's fine. They have the choice to buy you a drink if they're cool like that.

But it posting directly to someone's wall is disgusting.

image   image   image

• Options
    Could be awesome, will probably be used for sucking mostly.

I can't imagine this sort of app would be popular?

Anniversary
  • Options
    So how would the restaurant even know who to serve the drink/food to? Do they have to yell, "hey is there a Mike Jones here". 

• Options

So how would the restaurant even know who to serve the drink/food to? Do they have to yell, "hey is there a Mike Jones here". 

Oh actually, that's a good point. I've seen pictures of the food/drink item and the receipt (usually it prints something like "Mai Tai Note: "Have a great night Fernando!" From: Anna" with the Slingr logo on the bottom (so there are only select local restaurants that use the service right now, since it has to re-route through the server to get to the restaurant), but I'm not sure how it knows what table or whatever to send it to. Hrm...
  • Options

Oh actually, that's a good point. I've seen pictures of the food/drink item and the receipt (usually it prints something like "Mai Tai Note: "Have a great night Fernando!" From: Anna" with the Slingr logo on the bottom (so there are only select local restaurants that use the service right now, since it has to re-route through the server to get to the restaurant), but I'm not sure how it knows what table or whatever to send it to. Hrm...
    I wondered about that too, because it actually seems like a nice thing to do in my situation where most of my friends live on a different continent, and I always miss their birthdays.  I could see if the app sent the bar/restaurant the Facebook profile picture of the patron, but sometimes those just don't make much sense.  Like, my dad's pic at the moment is one of my sister and me, so are they looking for two young women named David now?  I really see this being a logistical nightmare.  I don't know much about where all of you come from, but you can forget about this working on a Friday or Saturday night anywhere that I've lived.  There are just way too many customers for staff to be walking around staring everyone in the face until they find the recipient of said food and drink.

I really feel as though this has the potential to turn in to Go Fund Me for nights out though.
  • Options

I wondered about that too, because it actually seems like a nice thing to do in my situation where most of my friends live on a different continent, and I always miss their birthdays.  I could see if the app sent the bar/restaurant the Facebook profile picture of the patron, but sometimes those just don't make much sense.  Like, my dad's pic at the moment is one of my sister and me, so are they looking for two young women named David now?  I really see this being a logistical nightmare.  I don't know much about where all of you come from, but you can forget about this working on a Friday or Saturday night anywhere that I've lived.  There are just way too many customers for staff to be walking around staring everyone in the face until they find the recipient of said food and drink.

I really feel as though this has the potential to turn in to Go Fund Me for nights out though.
    Becky Bride has "checked in" at Restaurant/Bar XX for her bachelorette party.  Becky did not invite you but would like to make you an honorary guest by showing you where she is so you can "Slingr" her.  It's the next best thing to being there!

• Options
    Yeah, I'm also really torn on this. I feel like yes, this is an awesome way to treat friends who may not be within treating distance normally. I have a LOT of friends who are not on the same continent as me, let alone in the same town. I know that them not inviting me to whatever outing/party/get-together isn't a slight on me, it's just them not expecting me to be able to be there. And they know the same of me. So this would be a very awesome thing for us.

BUT it will definitely get abused, and I can see it being added to the long list of FB annoyances that already includes the GFM, and the "OMG you guys are all so mean for not supporting my new home business selling soap/candles/makeup/photoshoots/life insurance". This could be really, really bad. Especially if it posts to a friend's timeline instead of your own.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards