Second Weddings

unhappy family members sabatoge?

Has anyone had a close family member try to sabotage your new relationship? FI and have been together almost 6 months. Only those closest to me are have been introduced which are my best friend and my brother. I had not told my mother because she is batsh*t crazy....like the movie "mommy dearest". She is fine as long as she thought I was still single....but I mentioned that I was dating someone to gauge her reaction. She was fine....but now she called me trying to cause problems saying that FI is still married,, which he is not and has not been in 13 years! I saw the divorce decree...I was hoping she would be more supportive...guess it was wishful thinking...woosah.....kinda sad because all girls want their mothers to be supportive...but HELL she didn't go to my brothers wedding and she threatened not to come to my first one although she came and behaved.....
Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary

Re: unhappy family members sabatoge?

• I have not been in this position, but wanted to say I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. The best thing to do is to keep your wedding planning to yourself. If you want to invite her and it's time to send out invites, send one to her. If she declines, it will suck, but at least you know where she stands. If she does come, then great! If she misbehaves at your wedding, people will not blame you and it will reflect poorly only on her. 

• Thanks Jells ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Sorry you're dealing with this negativity and drama! Nobody has tried to sabotage our relationship, but many of his friends were pains in the ass initially for all the wrong reasons. They were salty and standoffish because he was spending less time with them, which mostly wasn't because of me, but because his hours at work doubled. They're much younger than him, for the most part, and very involved in the "going to the bar almost every night" lifestyle, so they pretty readily drop friends who stop being available for going to the bar all the time. 
  • I have not been in this position, but wanted to say I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. The best thing to do is to keep your wedding planning to yourself. If you want to invite her and it's time to send out invites, send one to her. If she declines, it will suck, but at least you know where she stands. If she does come, then great! If she misbehaves at your wedding, people will not blame you and it will reflect poorly only on her. 

This.  Exactly this.  Especially that I'm sorry you're facing such a difficult issue.  Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards