Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Traveling with Dress

edited March 2015 in Nevada-Las Vegas
For OOT brides, how will you get your dress to Vegas? My original plan was to use the Captain's closet on the plane. But now that I have the dress in my possession, I'm thinking of maybe overnight shipping it (picking up the day I arrive in Vegas). I've heard of the "paying for another seat" thing, but I've already purchased our flights.

Re: Traveling with Dress

• Options
    I'm shipping mine to Fit for a Bride... I didn't want to worry with it in the airport... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What exactly is Fit for a Bride? If you don't mind me asking.
  • Options
    I'm planning to just carry mine on the plane. I hope I don't have any trouble!
  • Options
    I will be travelling from Spain to the UK, and from there to LV, taking the dress with me & hoping for the best, hopefully there will be room in the closet on board.
  • Options
    I'm taking mine on the flight in a thick garment bag and hoping to hang it up in some closet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Fit for a Bride is a company that will receive the dress and steam it for you.  They used to offer delivery to the hotel (which is what I'm getting), but I don't think they do that anymore.  Another company that does that is Creative Bridal.  I think that is who my wedding coordinator originally recommended, but I decided to go with Fit for a Bride.  Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Last I heard, Debi (Fit for a Bride) will still deliver to some hotels for a fee, but the problematic hotels they'll no longer deliver to.  Contact info at http://www.vegasgroom.com/Fit-For-A-Bride_25.html

My wife did the extra seat route since her dress was fairly large and would not have easily fit in an overhead, and it was Southwest so no first class closet to ask for the use of.  We thought about shipping it but it would have made her nervous and the cost to ship and insure by air was more than the airplane seat so that made the decision for us.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    I'm just carrying mine on as my "personal item" and laying it across the top of the overhead compartment once all the baggage is up there. That's what our airline does as it's a single-cabin flight with no closets. 

But my dress is mostly tulle and won't show wrinkles, so I'm pretty laissez-faire about the whole thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@caesarsbride15 My airline has first class but I was told they will not allow me to hang my dress in their closet. I don't want to bank on having my dress lay flat over top of other carry on luggage.

I have purchased a carry-on garment bag and tried it out to see if my dress would fit folded up. Thankfully it does and I plan on taking it out the garment bag as soon as I get to the hotel and running a hot shower for the steam to unwrinkle the dress. My dress is mostly lace with some tulle so I'm not very concerned about it being wrinkly.

I don't trust my dress going into checked luggage.

After being together for over 11 years and being engaged for over 3 years, we finally got hitched!
  • Options
    lauradean89lauradean89 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I'm either going to put mine in a box designed for flying and let someone professional pack it or I'm going to put it in a carry on waterproof suitcase and let someone professional like the shop I've bought it from pack it. This is theory. If it doesn't fit that way it will be a garment bag. I don't care about extra costs it's coming in the cabin with ME.
    My sister got married in Mauritius and put hers in the hold that is one seriously brave lady. Luckily it made it to her destination in one piece!

I was planning on getting mine professionally pressed once I arrive in Las Vegas along with the grooms attire.
  • Options
    JixxtJixxt member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I am carrying it on with me in a hardcase mini suitcase. It is going to stay in there for the whole SYD-LA-LV flight, and I'll only take it out once I reach LV - then get it steamed etc :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Even in the garment bag, my dress is very big. I don't want the hassle of carrying it in the airport. I think I'm going to ship it overnight, picking up the day I arrive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards