Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Not offering late night snack?

goblue111315goblue111315 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited March 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
We have our reception hall from 6P-1A.  We're planning on dinner at 7:00, with dancing starting afterward through the rest of the night.  We're doing a BBQ reception (pulled chicken, brisket, mac and cheese, etc.), so the meal will be hearty.  FI and I both come from partying families, so we imagine the dancing and drinking will last all night.  Our reception is in a hotel, which has a bar and restaurant open until 2:00 AM.  We would love to serve a late-night snack (like pizzas or a nacho bar), but not sure that it's in the budget.  Is it rude to just hope that if people need more food later in the night, they can fend for themselves and go to the restaurant and get something, or order pizza to their rooms?  Or is this something we should make room for in the budget?  We'd have to use the on-site catering, which is more expensive than ordering food from outside.  Thanks!

ETA: I know guests should not be opening their wallets at our wedding (and they won't be)!  But since a late-night snack is "extra," I'm wondering if it's okay to let people go get food on their own if they want to, rather than us providing it?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not offering late night snack?

• Options
    Late night snacks are not required. As long as you serve a full meal (plus I assume you're serving dessert of some kind), you're fine.

If this is really bugging you and you want to offer something, what about something less expensive? Like chips and salsa or chex mix? What about having cookies or something as favors? That way people can save them for their late night snack if they want one. If its not in the budget don't worry about it.

But definitely don't suggest that people go to the restaurant if they're hungry. It'll make you look like a cheap host. Just let them figure it out.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Honestly, I've never seen a late night snack at a wedding. If it's not in the budget, it's not in the budget. 

I like the idea of offering a party mix or edible favors to have a little something, but people will find the restaurant if they're hungry again at the end of the night. 
  • Options
    I have never been to a wedding that had late night snacks.  But then again I have never been to a wedding that lasts 7 hours.

Late night snacks are not required and it is not rude to not offer them.  I think something simple like chex mix, nuts and/or pop corn like PP have suggested would be the easiest and most budget friendly option if you really want to have some food available later in the night.

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  Most weddings I've been to do something like bring in Little Caesar's $5 pizzas for munching on (cheap, and not-so-sober people love it).  Since we can't bring food in and the pizza is more expensive at the venue, we were a little worried.  They do offer chips and salsa/guacamole though, so we'll probably just go with that and let people figure something else out on their own if they're starving! (Favors are probably also being cut...argh, budgets!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest doing some sort of snack or something, especially if there is going to be a lot of drinking involved.Doesn't have to be expensive though!
  • Options
    What are you doing for your cocktail hour? Could you may work something out that coincides with that? Like, if you're doing a cheese and cracker display, it's easy (and cheap enough) to have some extra crackers and bread for a "late night snack" (maybe even some sliced tomatoes or such for a cheap pseudo bruschetta).
  • Options
    Maybe it would be possible to leave some of the food from the main course out throughout the evening so if someone gets hungry for some Mac and cheese at midnight they could grab a bowl?
  • Options
    BrandNewJ said:

Maybe it would be possible to leave some of the food from the main course out throughout the evening so if someone gets hungry for some Mac and cheese at midnight they could grab a bowl?

^^ That's what we did.  Our buffet meal was ham & turkey, buns, salads, veggies, and fruit.  Everything that could be left out (per food safety guidelines) was.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options

What are you doing for your cocktail hour? Could you may work something out that coincides with that? Like, if you're doing a cheese and cracker display, it's easy (and cheap enough) to have some extra crackers and bread for a "late night snack" (maybe even some sliced tomatoes or such for a cheap pseudo bruschetta).

We are doing cheese, crackers, fruit, and veggies for cocktail hour.  I'm sure we could do that again for late night!  Good idea, especially when I'm trying to think of the heartiest food for the cheapest prices!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

BrandNewJ said:

^^ That's what we did.  Our buffet meal was ham & turkey, buns, salads, veggies, and fruit.  Everything that could be left out (per food safety guidelines) was.
    That's a good idea...I'll ask the venue.  Or even store it and put it out again later in the evening?  That would definitely be hearty and filling later in the night!  Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Are most of your guests staying at the hotel? If so, I'd do welcome bags that had a bunch of snacks in them. You can get stuff on sale and do the bags pretty cheaply. I know I love binging on chips and candy when I get back to the hotel room. :-)
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I did passed late night snacks--mini breakfast items and mini root beer floats.  Mini chicken and waffles, mini eggs bene, country ham biscuits, etc. and they were a huge hit.  Instead of buying a trinket-y favor, I went this route.  I'm definitely glad I did.  Guests started hunting down servers for more of the things they liked, especially the mini floats.
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

Are most of your guests staying at the hotel? If so, I'd do welcome bags that had a bunch of snacks in them. You can get stuff on sale and do the bags pretty cheaply. I know I love binging on chips and candy when I get back to the hotel room. :-)

I don't think most are staying, but some will!  We definitely plan to do welcome bags for those that are.  Costco here we come for treats!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I did passed late night snacks--mini breakfast items and mini root beer floats.  Mini chicken and waffles, mini eggs bene, country ham biscuits, etc. and they were a huge hit.  Instead of buying a trinket-y favor, I went this route.  I'm definitely glad I did.  Guests started hunting down servers for more of the things they liked, especially the mini floats.

This sounds so good... I wish it was in the budget!  I would kill some mini eggs bene at midnight...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards