Wedding Party

BM Robes

Have you purchased robes for your BMs, and if so where did you get them from?
This will be a gift to them, but not the only gift (planning on doing something more personal too).
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BM Robes

• No. Do they all even like robes? I'd skip these altogether. 
  • No. Do they all even like robes? I'd skip these altogether. 

Agreed. I have three robes from wedding parties. I wear the same one I've worn for the last 10 years. Unless you know for sure if your bridesmaids want/use robes, save the money. I know it makes a cute photo op but it's a waste.

• anrforanr said:

Have you purchased robes for your BMs, and if so where did you get them from?

This will be a gift to them, but not the only gift (planning on doing something more personal too).
    JIC.

• Would not recommend, unless you know they all fucking LOVE robes. And even then, I'd get them robes to their taste (The friend that's always cold gets a long, snuggly warm robe, the friend that loves Old Hollywood gets a silk floor length robe, the friend that's practically a nudist gets the barely there barely covers her ass robe, etc)

Anniversary
  • I've seen photos lately on Pinterest and elsewhere where the BMs and Bride are in robes but still have, like, normal clothes on underneath. So you'll see their jeans underneath the robe. I think this is the way to get around the whole not being comfortable photographed in a robe thing but somehow it looks even more awkward. 

Skip the robes. Please.
  • redoryx said:

I've seen photos lately on Pinterest and elsewhere where the BMs and Bride are in robes but still have, like, normal clothes on underneath. So you'll see their jeans underneath the robe. I think this is the way to get around the whole not being comfortable photographed in a robe thing but somehow it looks even more awkward. 

Skip the robes. Please.
    Yup.  It is even more evident as to why the robes were purchased...for a "cute" picture.

• If I could censor one thing on Pinterest , it would be BM robes. WHY? Because omg cute pics? Because omg everyone I know did this at their wedding? So basic.

No. Pictures in full make up + updo and a robe are not cute. Think about this objectively for about 30 seconds. Just say no.
    *********************************************************************************

• I wish this robe trend would DIAF. 

Listen, I love robes. I wear them around my house all the time. I have one that I bought at Target and I wear it every single morning. But I don't want someone to buy me a robe, and I don't want to wear one while getting ready for a wedding, and I certainly don't want to be photographed in one. 
    This. I love robes and I own about 7 different ones. One was a gift from FI. One was a gift from my mom from several years ago. The rest I bought myself. I've been given robes by other people and it's weird and not the type of robe I like to wear so they end up at Goodwill. If I was given a cutesy matching robe-- especially one that said Bridesmaid-- that thing would be at Goodwill before I was even done opening it. 
  • No, I did not buy robes for my BMs. I had adult women in my WP, who would not have wanted to wear matching robes.

If you do insist on doing this, stop pretending this is a gift for them. This is a wedding prop. A BM robe is no more a gift than a BM bouquet.

• I don't see the "cuteness" or "cleverness," let alone "propriety," of robes as wedding party gifts. (Never mind "uniqueness" or "originality.")
  • Agree with everyone else. If I was given one, I would be gracious about it and be thankful. But I would never wear it, would not be getting ready in it, and would not allow anyone to photograph me in it

Side note: I would not allow anyone to photograph me "getting ready." If I'm in the wedding party, you get me for after ceremony pics when we're all dressed up. That's it. If you want cutesy photos of everyone "getting ready" in a state of undress, I'll gladly step aside and get ready somewhere else. Sorry but shit like this makes me very uncomfortable and I don't get the appeal.

Formerly martha1818

• Agree with everyone else. If I was given one, I would be gracious about it and be thankful. But I would never wear it, would not be getting ready in it, and would not allow anyone to photograph me in it

Side note: I would not allow anyone to photograph me "getting ready." If I'm in the wedding party, you get me for after ceremony pics when we're all dressed up. That's it. If you want cutesy photos of everyone "getting ready" in a state of undress, I'll gladly step aside and get ready somewhere else. Sorry but shit like this makes me very uncomfortable and I don't get the appeal.

This.

A wedding day isn't the Victoria's Secret runway show.  There's no need for photos of people standing around in their underwear.

I don't think I'd mind being given a robe as part of my BM gift, as long as I was not going to be required to wear said robe during "getting ready" photos.  Yeah, no.  Not happening.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited March 2015
    I wouldn't mind a robe, but I like robes. Especially for different seasons. Lightweight cotton ones for getting ready in the mornings are perfect for the summer, while plush ones are great for the same in the winter :) I personally really like plum pretty sugar cotton robes for a light one and I have a super plush one from Ulta that I adore :)

What I wouldn't like: itchy, uncomfortable or poor quality robes. Robes that have any sort of indication that it was for a bridesmaid gift (i.e it says bridesmaid, or has YOUR wedding date on it, or team bride etc) or if it was monogrammed. Robes that literally match everyone else's.

I wouldn't go this route unless you know your bridesmaids well enough to know that they'll actually like/use a robe.

• It's a nice thought, but it would be quite the coincidence if all four women were in the market for cheap matchy matchy robes.

You're spending enough already, just save the money or put it towards shopping for them like it's their birthday.

Anniversary

• Thanks for the honest opinions everyone. I really do think all my BM's would like the robes, but maybe I will just drop it and put the money elsewhere.
    Side note - I was not thinking this for the picture aspect, it's honestly something I think they would enjoy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• anrforanr said:

Thanks for the honest opinions everyone. I really do think all my BM's would like the robes, but maybe I will just drop it and put the money elsewhere.

Side note - I was not thinking this for the picture aspect, it's honestly something I think they would enjoy.
    Some people might, but it's hard to know. As I said in an earlier post, I love robes. I hate silky robes. Hate them. I'm really particular about length, fabric, and sometimes color. 

So if you know for a fact that ALL your BMs like -- and would truly wear-- robes, and that they ALL would like the length, color, and fabric you're thinking of getting, then ok. Just a heads up, though, most of those Etsy sites with the cute matchy robes use really low quality materials so they would not be comfortable. 

I think in general it's easier to just get them individual gifts that match their hobbies and interests. 
  • anrforanr said:

anrforanr said:Thanks for the honest opinions everyone. I really do think all my BM's would like the robes, but maybe I will just drop it and put the money elsewhere.

A good rule of thumb is, "If itwould make a good birthday gift, it would make a good BM gift." If you think that applies here, then go for it, but I would NOT get matching robes, because that is too impersonal.
  • I got robes for my 6 BM's & myself from Wedding Prep Gals! They have tons of colors available and are really good quality. 

I agree with other posters if you don't think this is a gift that fits their personality it might be nice to get them something else. Mine were all thrilled with the robes (I made gift bags with personal goodies also) so it was a perfect gift and I know they use them. I know none of them have received a robe in another wedding so I didn't need to worry about that. 
  • Lusitano8 said:

I got robes for my 6 BM's & myself from Wedding Prep Gals! They have tons of colors available and are really good quality. 

I agree with other posters if you don't think this is a gift that fits their personality it might be nice to get them something else. Mine were all thrilled with the robes (I made gift bags with personal goodies also) so it was a perfect gift and I know they use them. I know none of them have received a robe in another wedding so I didn't need to worry about that. 
    I'm not pointing this out knock anything Lusitano8 posted, I'm just making an observation:

Go through the photo gallery on that site and pay attention to the facial expressions, body language, and posing of all the BMs in those robes.  It's pretty evident that many of the BMs in those photos are not happy about being photographed in those robes; Many of them have strained smiles, they have uncomfortable body language, and you can tell some of the group shots have been posed to "hide" their legs.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Lusitano8 said:

I got robes for my 6 BM's & myself from Wedding Prep Gals! They have tons of colors available and are really good quality. 

I'm not pointing this out knock anything Lusitano8 posted, I'm just making an observation:

Go through the photo gallery on that site and pay attention to the facial expressions, body language, and posing of all the BMs in those robes.  It's pretty evident that many of the BMs in those photos are not happy about being photographed in those robes; Many of them have strained smiles, they have uncomfortable body language, and you can tell some of the group shots have been posed to "hide" their legs.
    Ewww, that photo gallery was cringe worthy. The overweight women look particularly uncomfortable as they try to hide their bodies in those awful robes.

Anniversary

• Lusitano8 said:

Ewww, that photo gallery was cringe worthy. The overweight women look particularly uncomfortable as they try to hide their bodies in those awful robes.
    WTF is with the one where they're opening their robes to the bride?! Backing away now...

Formerly martha1818

• Lusitano8 said:

WTF is with the one where they're opening their robes to the bride?! Backing away now...
    Omg, that gallery was horrible.  And people always wear heels when they're getting ready in robes. *eye roll* 

• Except most of them were obviously throwing on the robes over whatever they were ACTUALLY wearing to get ready.  Then just put the stupid robe on for the one or two pictures.  Yep, truly awful.

• Lusitano8 said:

Or the one where they are cupping each other's asses? WTF
  • Lusitano8 said:

Oh my goodness!  No way in anything would I agree to that photo!  

Or the cupping each other's butts one. 

OH HEY, I now have two new photos to add to the Wedding Pictures Snark thread on Snarky Brides!
  • redoryx said:

Lusitano8 said:

Or the one where they are cupping each other's asses? WTF
    I don't know who I'm more embarrassed for... the bride who thinks that's cute, the BMs who were forced to participate, or the photographer who executed it. What are you doing with your life, photographer? 
  • I think the photographer must be walking around in a robe and heels when not photographing weddings.

I don't know about you but I totally wear heels and a bathrobe at the same time...
  • Yeah...totally not wanting to do the robes for the photo aspect...espeically since most of those photos are super weird, and I don't want anyone seeing photos of me in a bathrobe. I really just thought it would be a good gift. Re-thinking it now though. Thanks Knotties!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards