DIY Wedding Forum

Glue?

Ladies, Which glue did you find worked best for your DIY Invites/STDs? I am thinking I want to glue white cardstock onto colored cardstock but want to make sure that the glue keeps them together! Also if you care to, please share your DIY invites with me?!  Thanks!

Re: Glue?

• You'll have better luck with a tape runner than glue. Much less mess, secure hold, and no drying time. Check out the scrapbooking section of the craft store; this is my favorite kind.

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I would NOT recommend glue dots, which is what I used for the DIY invites for my first wedding. They're a massive pain in the ass. 

• KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    You'll have better luck with a tape runner than glue. Much less mess, secure hold, and no drying time. Check out the scrapbooking section of the craft store; this is my favorite kind.
    Yup, this! And you'll need more of them (or refills) than you think. But still totally worth it.
  • You'll have better luck with a tape runner than glue. Much less mess, secure hold, and no drying time. Check out the scrapbooking section of the craft store; this is my favorite kind.

Yep, this stuff works great.

• ^Agree with the tape runner! Or I used these and they worked as well!image

• Another vote for tape runners!  Super easy to use, and you don't have to worry about the little tabbies like with the mounting squares.

BUT - buy everything you can get your hands on.  You'll need more than you think.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I did mounting squares. Less mess than glue dots and require a less steady hand than a tape runner.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I did mounting squares. Less mess than glue dots and require a less steady hand than a tape runner.

I don't find tape runners to require a steady hand at all... just two quick zips across the back of whatever I'm taping. It doesn't need to be straight; you won't see it.

I use mounting squares for scrapbooking sometimes and they do work well, but for anything in large quantities the little backing papers are a nightmare to clean up.

I don't find tape runners to require a steady hand at all... just two quick zips across the back of whatever I'm taping. It doesn't need to be straight; you won't see it. I use mounting squares for scrapbooking sometimes and they do work well, but for anything in large quantities the little backing papers are a nightmare to clean up.
    It requires a steady hand if you're doing your DIY in the car. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~

I don't find tape runners to require a steady hand at all... just two quick zips across the back of whatever I'm taping. It doesn't need to be straight; you won't see it.

I use mounting squares for scrapbooking sometimes and they do work well, but for anything in large quantities the little backing papers are a nightmare to clean up.

Lol! Touché.

I don't find tape runners to require a steady hand at all... just two quick zips across the back of whatever I'm taping. It doesn't need to be straight; you won't see it. I use mounting squares for scrapbooking sometimes and they do work well, but for anything in large quantities the little backing papers are a nightmare to clean up.
    Lol! Touché.
    I did a lot of my DIY at work or while we were traveling. While I do use tape for a lot of my projects, I found it much easier using the mounting squares when I didn't want to lug a lot of stuff around with me. Like, I could apply the mounting squares to what I needed and not remove the backing strips meaning I didn't have to have the thing I was mounting TO with me. I'm working on my scrap book now and it was much easier to just bring the stack of 400 pictures and a box of mounting squares with me than bring all the pages and the pictures and the mounting squares. I just took a couple of lunch hours to sort the pictures and apply the mounting squares then put them onto the pages when I got home. Yes, I'm an odd duck sometimes.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• After going through a couple of the disposable tape runners I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Advanced-Glider-4-Inch-36-Yard/dp/B00409NNYM (with a michaels coupon) and wish I had it from the start!

• I am leaning toward the Scotch advanced glider as well. I keep hearing positive reviews. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I wonder how many rolls I would got through to make 100 invitations?
  • Check out Yes! Paste. It's cheap, dries quickly, and doesn't wrinkle paper. I've not used it for invites, but it's irreplaceable for bookmaking and collage work.
  • @sparklingjewelee I literally just got the advanced glider yesterday and started using it... FWIW, it comes with two rolls of adhesive and they are huge. I think you would only need to buy the glider and use the two rolls it came with, depending on how much gluing you're doing for each invite.

Also, I don't know if I'm a complete idiot or not but it took FI and I about 15 minutes to figure out how to load the thing. So there's that. But once I got going it was so easy... I had initially bought two because my mom wanted to help but it's going so quickly and easily I might just return it and save the $$.
  • @kikilamp Good to know! Thank you. Mine has been in my Amazon cart for a few days, so maybe I'll finally pull the trigger. :)  I had extra rolls in my cart too, but since you said they're huge I think I'll start out with just the glider and the included ones.

I was also wondering whether to buy two so we could both work at the same time, but maybe I'll just have him assemble and I'll glue or vice versa. I'll figure it out!

Thanks again for the information. :)

• I am leaning toward the Scotch advanced glider as well. I keep hearing positive reviews. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I wonder how many rolls I would got through to make 100 invitations?
    I probably used at least 3 of the disposable tapes before getting smart and getting this.   Once I bought the glider I used only the tape that came with it (two large rolls and didn't use up all of the second).  Honestly, I think it ends up being cheaper then all the disposables you'd go through.  I made about 100 invites.  Keep your eyes out for 40% or even sometimes a 50% off at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore etc.  Def worth it!
  • haleyk620haleyk620 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2015
    I just DIY'ed table numbers using scrapbook paper and cardstock.I used Zots (similar to mounting squares) to hold everything together and it seemed to work well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2015

Ditto this!  I did not make my own STDs (didn't have them) or my own invitations.  However, my mom and I did make my graduation invitations, tons of cards (b-day, thank you, congratulations, etc.) and both my sisters made their own invitations.

Tape like that makes it SO much easier than glue.  It's also flat so no worries about glue being thicker in one area.

I disagree about glue dots.  They can be a bit of a pain, but the easiest way to do them is just leave the glue dot on the roll and then place the piece of paper or ribbon or whatever onto the dot and lift it off the roll that way and then stick it on to the rest of the invitation.

For paper to paper, I think the tape is best. However, I have found that if you're adding ribbon or something to an invitation, glue dots work better than the tape.  Also, if you're doing anything really skinny like twine, or a really narrow strip of paper, glue dots are best because the tape is a certain width. Glue dots come in really tiny sizes.  Also, they can always be cut in half (although that is a bit of a pain.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards