Wedding Party

Choosing a maid if honor

We're not sure how big our wedding party will be but I know I'm going to have 2 of my best friends in the wedding party. I just don't know how I'm going to choose which one will be the maid of honor. I've have ups and downs with both of them and have been close with both and still are today. We've all been friends since elementary school so we've known each other for 16 years. One is right now more preoccupied with her boyfriend but she does that when she gets a new boyfriend. This is hard but I do have some time before we even tell people who's in our wedding party. I've also been thinking about having my future sister in law in my wedding party because she's close with my fiance and we practicality lived at her house before we got our own place.

Re: Choosing a maid if honor

•  

We're not sure how big our wedding party will be but I know I'm going to have 2 of my best friends in the wedding party. I just don't know how I'm going to choose which one will be the maid of honor. I've have ups and downs with both of them and have been close with both and still are today. We've all been friends since elementary school so we've known each other for 16 years. One is right now more preoccupied with her boyfriend but she does that when she gets a new boyfriend. This is hard but I do have some time before we even tell people who's in our wedding party. I've also been thinking about having my future sister in law in my wedding party because she's close with my fiance and we practicality lived at her house before we got our own place.

So is your question who you should have as your MOH?  You don't have to agonize over who that one person will be - if there isn't a clear cut answer (mine was my sister, no questions asked), you can have two.  Or none, and just have bridesmaids.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Pick both or neither. It doesn't have to be just one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Definitely wait until 6-9 months before your wedding to pick a wedding party.
    As time goes on you could feel closer or less close to any of these women.

When it comes to choosing a MOH, just choose whomever you feel closest to, even if it's the friend preoccupied with her boyfriend. The MOH's only duty is to stand beside you at your wedding ceremony / perhaps hold a bouquet / sign something, so it's very unlikely that she'll be preoccupied with her boyfriend during that.

You can also have more than one MOH if you can't decide. You also don't need to name a MOH if you honestly can't choose.
    And if you feel close to your FSIL, sure, ask her. Or she can stand on your FI's side too.
  • MOH is an honor. So which do you want to honor more? Maybe one who has gone through a rough time, or who was there for you when you needed her?

If the answer is both, then have two MOHs. If you want to ask FSIL, ask her. Or your FI can ask her to be on his side.

Anniversary

• I had both my sisters as MOH, and one bridesmaid.

• edited March 2015
    I was in this EXACT same predicament (sp.?) not too long ago. We had to push our wedding back so it doesn't really matter now. One is now planning her own wedding and asked if she could just step down and be a bridesmaid and I am totally fine with that and have no hard feelings. But I had two of my cousins who are basically like sisters to me. We grew up together. So when it came time to choose my MOH I was torn. Everyone told me to just go ahead and choose them both and have them walk on each side of the Best Man. There is no wedding law that says you cannot have 2 MOHs. However, I had 4 other girls besides them. If you have 3 girls total the other may feel left out. Hope this helps! 
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

I was in this EXACT same predicament (sp.?) not too long ago. We had to push our wedding back so it doesn't really matter now. One is now planning her own wedding and asked if she could just step down and be a bridesmaid and I am totally fine with that and have no hard feelings. But I had two of my cousins who are basically like sisters to me. We grew up together. So when it came time to choose my MOH I was torn. Everyone told me to just go ahead and choose them both and have them walk on each side of the Best Man. There is no wedding law that says you cannot have 2 MOHs. However, I had 4 other girls besides them. If you have 3 girls total the other may feel left out. Hope this helps! 

Why on earth would she need to step down from being the MOH and be "just" a bridesmaid instead? 
  • If you can't decide who to have as a MOH, then either ask both or neither.
    I personally am just having 3 bridemaids and no MOH because the 3 girls I've asked mean the same to me and I couldn't pick 1 above the other.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards