Chit Chat
Options

Got the puppy!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! We moved into our new place yesterday, so I'm on mobile. We also took Franklin home! His favorite activities include chewing the green blanket, attacking the wild pink unicorn, and going behind the toilet. He knows his name and he's getting potty training! We took him to the park today, and he's terrified of other dogs. Advice?

Re: Got the puppy!!!!!!!!

• Options
    OMG HE'S SO CUTE. PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY

Anniversary
  • Options
    aww, what a cutie!!! As for the dogpark thing, the one my sister goes to can be pretty intense, and while her dog is SUPER SOCIAL AND LOVES FUNFUNFUN, *I* was intimidated by it. If that's what your puppy's up against, he may just need to warm up to others first (on walks, on a leash, in a calmer setting) before jumping into the park.

Seriously, though, SO CUTE!!!
  • Options
    rcher912 said:

aww, what a cutie!!! As for the dogpark thing, the one my sister goes to can be pretty intense, and while her dog is SUPER SOCIAL AND LOVES FUNFUNFUN, *I* was intimidated by it. If that's what your puppy's up against, he may just need to warm up to others first (on walks, on a leash, in a calmer setting) before jumping into the park.

Seriously, though, SO CUTE!!!
    Oh okey! That's what we were thinking!
    He's currently trying to sleep but me and Fi won't stop messing with him :)
  • Options
    I'm so jealous.  I really want a dog.  He's super cute!!

• Options
    Aww! He's just a big ball of fluff and adorableness!  

• Options
    He's sooo cute! 

As far as socialization goes, PP was right about leash walks in calmer environments. I'd also suggest taking him to training classes at Petsmart or somewhere similar. It's a great opportunity for him to learn how to socialize in a controlled environment. :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Oh my god I want to smoosh that face. Then I will hug him and pet him and call him George.

• Options
    Congrats; he's adorable!  Also, I love your hair.
  • Options
    Too cute!  
  • Options
    Ahhh adorable! Too precious.

I would try to slowly get him used ot the dog park and other dogs. Go there a few times a week but for a short time and let him get used to the place. He will probably warm up to it eventually. However, if he doesn't seem to like it after a month or so and just really hate s being there, don't force him. The stress of a dog park can be too much for some dogs. One of mine won't even get in the car without throwing up because her anxiety is so bad.

• Options
    This puppy is too adorable for words.  That fluffball made my day!
  • Options
    SO CUTE I can't stand it! Congrats!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

He's adorable!

In regards to the dog park - I know ours has an age limitation - no dogs under 4 months. He may just be too young to go, and he feels really uncomfortable and intimidated because he's little and he's surrounded by a bunch of larger more energetic dogs. I dunno. It took our pup a few trips to the dog park for her to get comfortable. Our park tends to see more puppies/quiet dogs early on weekend mornings so that's when we try to go because the energy there suits our dog more than the high-energy play that occurs later.

If you're trying to socialize him there may be more puppy-focused programs in your area you can take him too. He'd probably feel more comfortable surrounded by dogs his own age/size than in a dog park where you have a mix.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies! Yeah, I think it was too much too soon. We were just so excited to go do dog stuff!
    @labro, I'm looking into puppy groups now! :)

He's such a funny boy. He swats at stuff with his paws like a little kitty. This morning he was being a crazy little turkey. Woke Fi up at five to potty and wouldn't go back to sleep so he woke me up at six. He tried to 'share' his bone with me and bit my arm and then cried the whole time I was in the shower, and tried to jump in! Then he licked the water off my legs, haha!

PS, can you guys still see the picture? I can't!
  • Options
    How precious! I love the fluff!
  • Options
    He's ADORABLE!

Re: being scared, I think it's normal for puppies to be nervous around a lot of dogs at first, and I echo PPs suggestions of puppy classes and one-on-one leash training at first. Get him super comfortable with you and your FI; once he trusts you two he'll have a much easier time feeling confident in newer situations. Apparently at that age puppies need a lot of encouragement and confidence building.

ALSO did I mention that he's fucking adorable? What kind of poochie is he?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    He is PRECIOUS. 

He may just need some warming up time. He's probably used to being around his littermates, who are all similarly sized, and being around dogs who are much bigger than he is may just be freaking him out a little. Give him time to get used to life and he'll be fine. 

Also I love your hair. I wish I could have cool colors in my hair. :(
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Is he fully vaccinated? If not, he shouldn't be anywhere near a dog park.

He's adorable!!

Anniversary

• Options

He is PRECIOUS. 

He may just need some warming up time. He's probably used to being around his littermates, who are all similarly sized, and being around dogs who are much bigger than he is may just be freaking him out a little. Give him time to get used to life and he'll be fine. 

Also I love your hair. I wish I could have cool colors in my hair. :(
    I've had some variance of pink since I was 12. There's no turning back now!
  • Options

Is he fully vaccinated? If not, he shouldn't be anywhere near a dog park.

He's adorable!!

Ahhhhh. Not fully. I totally forgot that was a rule. ._. 
  • Options
    So cute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards