Not Engaged Yet

Howdy! Need a distraction..

LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited March 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
Hey ladies!! It's been a while and I am sorry that I took a hiatus, but work got super busy this year and I had to step back. I will try to get back into the swing of things around here but please forgive me if it takes a bit.

I need you ladies for a distraction. I'm sorry that this might come off a bit odd, but I don't know where else to turn to. BF and I just got back from a ten day vacation. We went to Disney and Universal. While there, I had a few "moments". I tried not to let it get to me that BF hadn't proposed yet, and I tried to convince myself that it wasn't going to happen and to just enjoy the vacation and the time spent together. One night he knew that it was getting to me, and he made a comment of "the weekend's not over yet, it's coming just relax" (said extremely sincere, although that is hard to communicate via written text). 

Fast forward to the lat night of the trip we did this event called the dessert party. You get unlimited desserts and a perfect view of the Castle for the fireworks. We were seated next to a couple on their honeymoon and they kept talking about how the Groom proposed there a year earlier. After we left the party BF told me that he knew I was bumming and that it was coming soon and once it does he will explain what happened. He also expressed that he was "kicking himself in the ass" for not proposing at the party. We talked and I put it all aside and we had a great end to the vacation. 

Sunday when we got home, we unpacked and got everything put away, and started to go through the mail. He got three envelops from the same company, and they didn't have a company name in the return address, just the street address. Except for one, which in the window where his name was, was also the logo of our local jewelry store. He also got a bigger envelop and while opening it said "What is this? Some type of life insurance from FL?! Ohhhhh......".

So there is a ring, and I need to stop thinking about it immediately! I don't want to obsess. I know there were people who had the ring for a year and didn't propose so I don't want to get my hopes up thinking it's going to be soon. I'm losing my mind trying to stay distracted and I need some help. I also know that I have no right to ask this of you ladies since I am not on here much any more but I know you all know how I feel and this is a great community to lean on. GAH! TIA
friends tv show funy

Re: Howdy! Need a distraction..

• @caseface5 That's really exciting that he mentioned during the vacation that it's coming soon! I remember when DH told me that, it sent me into crazy person world and then I joined TK lol. Just hang out here more often and we will keep you occupied I hope. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though that this comes sooner rather than later though!
  • He obviously wanted to do it already, and something happened. Take solace in the fact that it is definitely coming, and distract yourself until it does!

I personally have taken up cooking. It's going quite well! I make dinner, then we eat and then I do dishes. Voila! Multiple hours I've been at home with my BF and not obsessing about our relationship.

I have to disagree with @cu97tiger, though. Watching Friends was THE WORST for my engagement BSC-ness. Too much wedding stuff in the show all the time. I've thought about engagement so much less since I finished the series, haha. ;)

• Until you see the ring, you don't know it's a ring. Before FI was FI, he once got an email from an online jewelry store, and I saw it when he left his email up. I thought it was a ring, and I went CRAZY. It ended up being a beautiful necklace, not a ring. I felt like such an ass. Don't make the same mistake!

I agree with @cu97tiger about finding a new hobby. I remember that you guys own a house together-- what about planning and then planting a garden for the spring? Do you sew or knit? Time for a new project! 

Try your best not to think about the ring and focus on how great things are now. :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hey lady! You been missed around these parts!

Your Disney trip sounds awesome, I had no idea the desert dinner was a thing but it sounds amazing!

I don't know how much help I am in the distraction department. I've just resorted to telling myself over and over again that it will happen when the time is right.

• I totally get it...you can see earlier this month some of my BSC messages about how I knew it was coming and it was driving me nuts. The thing is, he's going to do it when a) he feels it's right, and b) when he can. FI started acting super duper weird around the time the ring shipped, and but he didn't have it for another week and then he was hiding it in his closet until the right time. You don't know what to him is the right time. It's likely not going to be when you expect it either. 

We went out to a really fancy dinner the night before he proposed and I was CERTAIN he was going to do it after dinner...to the point that I told my best friend and she proceeded to warn him (she knew he was doing it either that night, NOT at dinner, or the following morning). Little did I know he was planning on doing it but not at a moment when I would expect it. Instead he woke me up and proposed in our bed while I was 3/4 asleep, couldn't see, and in a massive state of disrepair from sleeping on my hair that had been all done up for dinner the previous night when I KNEW HE WAS GOING TO PROPOSE. 

Lesson....it will happen when it's meant to happen and it will be perfect and special. But it's probably not going to be when you expect it, so don't drive yourself nuts. I lost out on several really wonderful dinners in the time I was aware that he had bought the ring until he proposed, because I spent so much time stuck in my head about OMG is he going to do it or not. Enjoy it. Someone else said on here, enjoy the anticipation because you won't ever get it back. 

I also recommend reading the stuff here: http://apracticalwedding.com/topic/pre-engaged/

Here's my favorite post that helped me survive what you're feeling right now: http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/09/he-wants-to-marry-you-engagement/
  • Your vacation sounds like it was awesome! That dessert party sounds fun!

I couldn't agree more with PP's to find a new hobby to distract yourself. I joined a planning committee for 20 somethings who work at my company when I really started going BSC. I also really started thinking about my career options and what I want to do with my life. Those two things really helped me (although I still had my moments every once in a while). Worst case scenario, talk to us to distract yourself! 

Anyways, how are other things going in your life? Has work calmed down a bit? What else is new with you? 

• LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    @cu97tiger- Thanks! Netflix is a great distraction, and I am halfway through the Friends marathon, so I will get back to watching that. 

@southernpeach89 - Firstly, congrats on the baby! I saw your bump in another post, and its adorable! I was thinking coming back would help, and it's a win-win because I get to hang with you great ladies!

@AlPacina - Cooking is a great idea! Any good recipes to share? 

@eilis1228 - Gardening would be good, but the area in our backyard that was a garden has become the puppy's new poop spot. For some reason she has been going there all winter. We had every intention of starting it up, but now I'm thinking it's not such a good idea, LOL.

@bethsmiles - Thanks, I've missed it around here! The dessert party was amazing, I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat. This distraction thing is hard. 

I coach cheer in late summer/fall and that is a great distraction, I am just needing something for now. I would like to join a gym, but honestly can't afford it right now. Can anyone suggest a good work-out program?  
    friends tv show funy
  • So jealous that you guys got into the Dessert Party!!!  I've tried to get in my last 3 visits (though I did host a private one at Illuminations).

Find a book series or something else to distract you (like others have said).

Anniversary
  • @nycgal85 - Thank you for those links, I will definitely be checking them out! 

@AuroraRose41 - Thanks, our vacation was awesome! Despite everything we had an amazing time and I'm glad I was able to push all these silly feelings to the side. 

@TwoDimes - If he knows what's good for him it will be a GD Pony!!!! Hahaha 
    friends tv show funy
  • caseface5 said:

I coach cheer in late summer/fall and that is a great distraction, I am just needing something for now. I would like to join a gym, but honestly can't afford it right now. Can anyone suggest a good work-out program?  
    I've done some Jillian Michaels videos and enjoy them. I also have been trying to incorporate some Yoga videos I found on YouTube into my routine.

• Welcome back!  

Your trip sounds awesome! 

Are there any all star teams or indoor cheer gyms near you?  If so, see if they could use some help or if you could host a once a week training program/clinic.  
  • I'm with @TwoDimes. He definitely got you one of these.

*******************************************************************************************

• edited March 2015

Ahh so exciting! I know you've been waiting for awhile so you must be so happy. Honestly, I was the most calm after FI bought the ring because I finally knew he was ready and it was a huge relief. He did wait 6 months to propose though after he got the ring because he was waiting for the right time. I saw "clues" all the time in those 6 months in between but I didn't get myself worked up over it because I knew he was going to do it at some point.

For workouts I've been alternating Jilian Michael's DVDs, Slim Series DVDs and Blogilates playlists on Youtube. One of my friends really likes the Tone it Up videos on Youtube, I like doing videos so I can just follow along and not have to really think about it.

• Agree with PP here on finding new hobbies, shows, books, volunteer opportunities, etc to distract you.

As for workouts, there are TONS on Pinterest you can do at home, and I also did the 30 Day Shred a few years ago and really liked it. It was on YouTube then.

Best of luck! Keep us posted and try to just focus on the anticipation and excitement that the man you love wants to MARRY YOU! Woo!!!
  • @Dignity100 - The dessert party was amazing! It was so worth the extra money. Because we were a party of two, we got to sit front row. BF likes the "Celebrate the Magic" portion more than the fireworks, but we both had a great time! I would do it again for sure!

@speakeasy14 - I started to look into allstar gyms yesterday. Thing is there is a new gym in town, and they are the biggest rival of the kids I coach. The owner, despite owning a anti-bulling company, bullies my kids all the time saying they "aren't real cheerleaders" because they do Pop Warner not Allstar. 

@GoldenPenguin - That pony is adorable!!

@lavenderfeilds13 - That is what I keep trying to tell myself. Before he would express that he isn't ready, but now I know that he is and is just waiting for what he feels is the right time. I couldn't be happpier to know, and I think that is what is making the anticipation worse.

@jenjen047 - Thanks! I skimmed Pinterest last night, but I will have to look into it some more. 

Thank you all for you advise and warm thoughts. I knew you ladies could help to keep me sane!

friends tv show funy
  • caseface5 said:

@speakeasy14 - I started to look into allstar gyms yesterday. Thing is there is a new gym in town, and they are the biggest rival of the kids I coach. The owner, despite owning a anti-bulling company, bullies my kids all the time saying they "aren't real cheerleaders" because they do Pop Warner not Allstar. 

Rude! I did Pop warner cheerleading as a kid too- I still can't do a cartwheel to save my life haha but I loved it and that would have made me so sad if someone said I wasn't a "real" cheerleader!

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

There's two @beanbot2002! Does that mean I get one? I'm already married....but I still don't have a real pony!

• PONIES FOR EVERYONE!!!!! If life ever goes as planned, and we get to buy some land to build on, and I get to finally start building my herd of welsh pony broodmares, I will breed everyone their very own pony!
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• caseface5 said:

UGH SITB --- Seriously!?!? 
     Pop Warner is a building block. Plus, a lot of those organizations are getting into competing. Also, I had more issues coaching All stars than I did with pop warner.  In my experience, the All stars focus more on gymnastics, so they're motions and actual cheers are horrible.  I can always pick out an all star girl at a tryout because they have bent wrists. 
  • caseface5 said:

UGH SITB --- Seriously!?!? 
     Pop Warner is a building block. Plus, a lot of those organizations are getting into competing. Also, I had more issues coaching All stars than I did with pop warner.  In my experience, the All stars focus more on gymnastics, so they're motions and actual cheers are horrible.  I can always pick out an all star girl at a tryout because they have bent wrists. 
    YES!!! My girls aren't the best cheerleaders out there, but I do what I can with the time and resources that I have. Their motions are better and their cheers are great! And even though they aren't the best tumblers, we max out on tumbling at every comp because I push them to do their best. The thing that really chaps my ass is that she OWNS an anti-bulling company. It's so hypocritical!!! 
    friends tv show funy
  • @caseface5 - I realized I never responded! My go-to for recipes are my Taste of Home cookbooks. My mom buys one every year, so every so often when I'm home I'll just give her back the one I borrowend take a new one. I know we already have a recipe thread, but here are a couple I love:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-crescent-wreath

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bistro-mac---cheese <--- Not kidding, this is THE BEST mac and cheese I have ever had.

• PONIES FOR EVERYONE!!!!! If life ever goes as planned, and we get to buy some land to build on, and I get to finally start building my herd of welsh pony broodmares, I will breed everyone their very own pony!

But, but... can Bean & I have BIG horses, instead of ponies??

*******************************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards