Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Love/Wedding Sounding Wine Names?

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are buying all of the wine/alcohol for our wedding next May and I thought it might be fun to buy wine vintages with names that somehow relate to love or weddings. For example, I came across a brand called "Once Upon a Vine." I know there's got to be more brands like this out there - help me out with some names?

Thanks!
Kimberly

Re: Love/Wedding Sounding Wine Names?

• jacques27 said:

I'm sure if you just stroll through a liquor store, you'll be able to come up with plenty.  That said, I would rather have a wine that tastes good than one with a kitschy name.  And if you're having a bartender serving it, it's going to be behind a bar anyway, and people aren't going to be asking for their wine by saying "Can I have "Once Upon a Vine"?  They're going to ask the bartender for a chardonnay or a merlot or a cabernet.

So focus on buying wines that taste good.  People will remember and appreciate that far more than a kitschy name.

I don't even drink and I wholeheartedly agree with this!!!  Quality/taste over kitschy name ANY day of the week!!!!
  • jacques27 said:

I'm sure if you just stroll through a liquor store, you'll be able to come up with plenty.  That said, I would rather have a wine that tastes good than one with a kitschy name.  And if you're having a bartender serving it, it's going to be behind a bar anyway, and people aren't going to be asking for their wine by saying "Can I have "Once Upon a Vine"?  They're going to ask the bartender for a chardonnay or a merlot or a cabernet.

So focus on buying wines that taste good.  People will remember and appreciate that far more than a kitschy name.

Exactly - especially to the bolded. I've never been to a wedding where I even knew what brand the wine was. It's often either "red or white" as the options, or "merlot, chardonnay, or riesling" (or whatever specific wines are available). I think this is one of those little details that absolutely no one but the bride/groom would even know about, so it would probably turn into a waste of time/energy on your part to give it a lot of thought.

Also, if I were at a wedding and was told about the wine's names in some fashion, and then the wine didn't taste good? I would be annoyed that "cute" was given pride of place over guests' comfort.

That all being said, if you're dead set on doing this, just google "romantic names for wines." The Washington Post has a whole list (but they aren't cheap).
  • I agree that you should focus on taste and quality. If you want to do something with a cute name do a bride/groom suggested or sugnature drink.

• People will notice if the wine tastes good first. They may or may not even notice the name. I would just focus on getting delicious wine. This is one of those details only you notice/care about.
    *********************************************************************************

• Taste/quality > name of wine

• Yeah, I agree with PPs. Just pick some good quality wines. The names don't matter. And people won't be ordering it by the brand name. 
  • I agree with PPs. The only thing I'll add is that my soon-to-be in-laws at the time actually made all the wine for our wedding, so I guess we could have given it a cute name or made our own logo. That said, we didn't end up bothering, so...
  • +1 for choosing your wines based on quality. But if you really want them to have cutesy names, maybe you could put customized label stickers on the bottles.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

What if you bought one bottle of eat wine and used them as your table numbers? That would be cute. You could use the bottle as a centerpiece.

You get to drink wine AND you get cute decorations!

Edit: I looked, and couldn't find much (it's surprisingly hard to find these things!):

http://www.monogamywines.com/

http://www.williamsonwines.com/wine-names (including Armour, Passion, and Bliss)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards