Wedding Reception Forum
Options

I Need Some More Opinions Please!

We are having an August wedding, and serving BBQ, buffet style.  Would it be weird to have plates on the tables instead of at the beginning of the buffet?  

Here is my thought process: originally I wanted to have linen napkins placed on the tables in-between the silverware settings, dropped down over the table, with a tag around them with a thank you note.  But I was worried about the fabric and absorbency of the napkin since we are having BBQ, which means lots and lots of napkins will be needed. As much as I want to deny it, paper napkins are going to be waaay better for this.  So this lead me to the idea of getting a limited amount of customized paper napkins with our thank you note (blank, regular ones for the rest), and putting them where originally planned, in-between the place setting.  But then I was thinking it might look weird, just a napkin on the table.  So instead, placing the plates on the tables, and laying the napkin on top? Am I over thinking this? My fiancé would probably say yes.. harhar

Re: I Need Some More Opinions Please!

• Options
    Here are some pictures of the original idea to help visualize! 
  • Options
    taylorl21 said:

We are having an August wedding, and serving BBQ, buffet style.  Would it be weird to have plates on the tables instead of at the beginning of the buffet?  

Here is my thought process: originally I wanted to have linen napkins placed on the tables in-between the silverware settings, dropped down over the table, with a tag around them with a thank you note.  But I was worried about the fabric and absorbency of the napkin since we are having BBQ, which means lots and lots of napkins will be needed. As much as I want to deny it, paper napkins are going to be waaay better for this.  So this lead me to the idea of getting a limited amount of customized paper napkins with our thank you note (blank, regular ones for the rest), and putting them where originally planned, in-between the place setting.  But then I was thinking it might look weird, just a napkin on the table.  So instead, placing the plates on the tables, and laying the napkin on top? Am I over thinking this? My fiancé would probably say yes.. harhar

This thank you note isn't going to replace the actual thank yous that you will write for presents, right?
    Regardless, I think custom napkins is an unnecessary expense. 

• Options
    I agree with your FI, I think you may be over thinking. It seems you have a vision in your head of the cloth napkin hanging over the edge of the table. That's a cool look but not functional for your wedding. There are lots of other cool looks to pick from.

Personally, I'd pick up charger plates from the dollar store and have those as your place holders/decor. Actual meal plates would be by your buffet.

When you say you're going to need lots and lots of napkins, what are you serving? I know BBQ, but BBQ chicken breast is much less messy than BBQ ribs, for example. Are you serving food where people will eat with their hands?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    What kind of BBQ are you serving where you think a lot of extra napkins are going to be necessary?

Why not just go with your original idea (pic 1) and then have the plates at the beginning of the buffet.  I am going to have to go against southernbelles idea of charger plates.  There are a lot of people that would think that that was their dinner plate and then take that over to the buffet.

So go with your first pic, plates at the buffet and I would nix the thank you note.  It is unnecessary and does not replace you going around to each person and thanking them.

• Options
    Regardless of napkin style, I would honestly ditch the canned thank you note. To me it just wouldn't seem sincere since everyone gets the exact same one, and your reception is your thank you to me. Seeing you that night and hearing a verbal "thanks for coming" would mean so much more. 
  • Options
    Oh, don't get me wrong, we don't plan on using the note in lieu of going around and talking to everyone personally, I just thought it would be a nice jump start, and something we can do on the cheaper side since we are on a small budget.  

Right now we are trying to pick two between roasted chicken, pulled pork, brisket and ribs, so the potential to use hands definitely there.  And I am a messy eater (I am planning on wearing a cute apron for dinner - the ultimate huge napkin over my white dress) so I know that anytime I eat some BBQ, I bring the roll of paper towels with me.  I would not be happy if my only option was some poly-blend napkin that can barely get water. 
  • Options
    taylorl21 said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, we don't plan on using the note in lieu of going around and talking to everyone personally, I just thought it would be a nice jump start, and something we can do on the cheaper side since we are on a small budget.  

Right now we are trying to pick two between roasted chicken, pulled pork, brisket and ribs, so the potential to use hands definitely there.  And I am a messy eater (I am planning on wearing a cute apron for dinner - the ultimate huge napkin over my white dress) so I know that anytime I eat some BBQ, I bring the roll of paper towels with me.  I would not be happy if my only option was some poly-blend napkin that can barely get water. 
    I would say a big no to ribs.  Even though they are delicious I would stay away from anything that has to be eaten with your hands.  So if I were you I would be picking the roasted chicken and the brisket since both can be eaten with a knife and fork.

• Options
    You are over thinking this.  Just put the silverware and napkins on the tables.  Plates at the buffet.  

Trust me it will be fine.   I personally think people put way to much crap on the tables.   Only the photographer and the first few people actually get to see the "pretty setups" anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Can you do ribs with a dry rub instead of BBQ sauce? I love ribs. LOVE RIBS. And I make the best dry rub, and it's less messy. I made them last weekend.

What was I talking about?

Anniversary

• Options
    The customized napkins aren't any more absorbent than cloth, so that won't solve your problem.

And no matter how much I love ribs, I would never eat them with my hands at a wedding. Knife and fork all the way.

• Options
    Stick to knife and fork foods. Save the ribs for an event where people won't be dressed up with their nails done.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    To me it looks like you are implying that the napkins or silverware is the favor, which I would find really weird. Usually those thank you type cards are attached to a favor I think. I would skip it. 

• Options
    Fine if you want to wear a big apron over your dress to eat, but your guests don't have this option. You should serve food that you yourself would be comfortable eating in your fancy attire. If you want to serve food you eat with your hands, I'd hope you were having a wedding where people where jeans, and if you do wear a dress it's a short sundress and not an evening gown. There's a ton of ways to do BBQ style food that you can still eat neatly with a knife and fork, if you're set on BBQ. If you expect your guests to be dressing up for your wedding, you should be serving them food they will be comfortable eating in their dress clothes. 
  • Options

Stick to knife and fork foods. Save the ribs for an event where people won't be dressed up with their nails done.

I agree with @Southernbelle0915 . You will look beautiful in your gown, I do not think you should cover it up. :smile:
    "If you really want something you don’t stop for anyone or anything  until you get it".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards