Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wedding Cake in July

I will be having my wedding on a farm in the first week of July. I'm worried my cake will be covered in flies and could possibly melt. Instead of keeping it inside the whole time until cake is served, what are other solutions you came up with? Should I make a plastic case for it? Add a net?

Re: Wedding Cake in July

• BrandNewJBrandNewJ member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    I went to a wedding 2 years ago outside in July and she had like a mosquito net covering it with flowers around it, it went together nicely. She also incorporated netting a bit in the centerpieces, so it didn't look weird or out of place at all.

ETA: it looked like one of those white nets that are above some beds, with like hoola hoop at the top. 
  • Yikes... Personally, I probably just wouldn't display the cake. Keep it in the kitchen until it's time to cut and then let everyone ooo and ahh at it before they take it back to cut it.
    *********************************************************************************

• If done right, a net of some kind could look okay. Make sure the frosting isn't cream cheese or whipped cream or anything that can't be left out. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • The netting will work for the bugs, but there isn't much you can do about heat or humidity.  I would really recommend keeping it inside if you are getting married in July.
  • Your best option is fondant.  Also, whipped icing such as what Sam's has for a base layer under that won't "Melt".  Same goes for non-butter buttercream (they use shortening instead of butter)...   That will be the easiest way to not have to worry about the bug factor and some of the melt factor.  OR, you could schedule the delivery of the cake JUST before dinner (and let people know so they aren't freaked out) so it's not sitting out in the heat of the day.  This would require choosing a design that your baker can deliver completely set up without any work once the cake is on-site. 

Just please be kind - have "barn fans" for the guests available in case it's a HOT summer day!!! 

• We once had a bride make an ice sculpture cake stand, placed inside of a glass container to catch the water dripping. It looked stunning! If you did this, you would need something with grip between the cake and the stand so that the cake wouldn't slide as the water melts.
  • Definitely talk to your cake baker and make sure it's a "sturdy" cake. There are a lot of factors to consider, including the ambient temperature and how long the cake will be sitting out. If you cut your cake at the beginning of the reception (which many people are doing now) then that will help, or alternatively see if they can deliver it later. Our wedding venue isn't air conditioned and we'll be cutting the cake later in the reception (for a number of reasons) so our baker recommended against a bunch of options including whipped cream, mousse, custard creme, fresh fruit... But, she said fruit preserves, plain frosting, and fondant were all fine.
  • Maybe have a fake wedding cake on the table, with sheet cakes in a kitchen area
  • I have this same concern. I am getting married next August in maryland and our reception is outside in a tent. It will have air conditioning but I'm still worried about the cake. What do brides that have tent weddings do with their cake?
  • I have this same concern. I am getting married next August in maryland and our reception is outside in a tent. It will have air conditioning but I'm still worried about the cake. What do brides that have tent weddings do with their cake?
    @Beautyofdreams, I like that you're looking for answers to your questions on old posts, but it's generally preferred here that you post a new thread if you're needing more info or opinions. This thread is almost four months old.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards