Registry and Gift Forum

Donations to Charity?

We already have everything we need and we have been telling our friends and family that we want their best wishes only. If they insist, we tell them that we would really appreciate a donation to charity.

Can we include a link to the Cancer Society on our wedding website/s registry page?

Re: Donations to Charity?

• You really shouldn't tell people what charities they should donate to.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited March 2015
    Good point. Could we still use some sort of wording on the registry page, telling them that instead of a gift they can donate to a charity of their choice?

• We already have everything we need and we have been telling our friends and family that we want their best wishes only. If they insist, we tell them that we would really appreciate a donation to charity.

Can we include a link to the Cancer Society on our wedding website/s registry page?

Good point. Could we still use some sort of wording on the registry page, telling them that instead of a gift they can donate to a charity of their choice?

No because then you're implying that gifts are expected which gifts are not for your guests. Just remove the registry page from your website.

• And just continue to tell people who ask?
  • You say "We truly have everything we need, but thank you for being so thoughtful."

If they choose to give you a gift and give you cash instead of a physical gift, then you graciously accept it, thank them appropriately, and then are free to give that money to any charity your heart desires.

If they choose to give you a gift and give you a physical gift, then you graciously accept it, thank them appropriately, and then are free to do what you like with that gift including, but not limited to: returning it for cash and donating the cash to charity, donating the item to a charity that could use it, or just plain old keeping it.

Wedding gifts are optional, so by you telling them you how you want them to spend their money you are basically saying that it's expected they were going to give you a gift.  And if you told me what charity you want me to donate to, I'm saving my money and just getting you a card.  I'm picky about what charities I support and give of my own free will to those charities.  Your wedding it not a charity fundraiser, nor a place to display how magnanimous you are.  Quietly give any gifts to charity after the fact if donating to charity is important to you.
  • And just continue to tell people who ask?

Just tell people, "Thank you, but we already have everything we need" and let it go at that. If they insist on giving you physical gifts, just accept them graciously and send the givers timely, nicely worded thank-you notes. Then you can keep or discreetly dispose of them as you see fit. But leave charitable contributions out of the conversation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards