Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sending invites anyway to people who uninvited themselves?

So.. the wedding is in 29 days, invites are out, whatever family drama happened is behind at least me and my FI.  Long story short, because my biological mother said she's not coming because she won't be given 'red carpet treatment' (her words, not mine) despite having never been in my life until very recently (because just being invited wasn't enough),  my sister, the only sibling raised by her, said that she wasn't coming either and did not want an invitation because if she comes, she won't be happy.  So, I obliged and didn't send an invitation.  (My mother, however, did say she wanted one to keep so I sent one to her and called it a day).  (yes.... a lot of drama).

So my aunt, my mother's sister, yesterday (2 months after the fact) called about something else and then said, without stating names, that I need to send invites to everyone in the family and just know that when I look back 20 years from now all spats that I had with family were just minor. 

I don't appreciate her being intrusive and a Johnny come lately (I hadn't spoken to her in years) but thought from an etiquette perspective, do I still need to send my sister an invite if I intended to have her there from the get-go? 

Re: Sending invites anyway to people who uninvited themselves?

• Options

That's tricky.. I would go on and send an invitation if you were originally planning on inviting them anyways  it is completely up to them whether they come or not though.

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

So.. the wedding is in 29 days, invites are out, whatever family drama happened is behind at least me and my FI.  Long story short, because my biological mother said she's not coming because she won't be given 'red carpet treatment' (her words, not mine) despite having never been in my life until very recently (because just being invited wasn't enough),  my sister, the only sibling raised by her, said that she wasn't coming either and did not want an invitation because if she comes, she won't be happy.  So, I obliged and didn't send an invitation.  (My mother, however, did say she wanted one to keep so I sent one to her and called it a day).  (yes.... a lot of drama).

So my aunt, my mother's sister, yesterday (2 months after the fact) called about something else and then said, without stating names, that I need to send invites to everyone in the family and just know that when I look back 20 years from now all spats that I had with family were just minor. 

I don't appreciate her being intrusive and a Johnny come lately (I hadn't spoken to her in years) but thought from an etiquette perspective, do I still need to send my sister an invite if I intended to have her there from the get-go? 

Um? What? Like a sheriff is coming to her house and forcibly take her to the wedding? What kind of commentary is that? "Okay, I'll be there. But I won't be happy about it!" Don't fucking show up, you toddler. Sorry. That just strikes me the wrong way. Like if she shows up, you'll be overjoyed and bow in the grace of her presence and if she doesn't show up, how will you go on and get married!? Like the world revolves around her or something. Just irritating to me when people are like that. 

Etiquette is that even if someone has been invited but has stated they can't attend, you still send an invite. Plans change and perhaps they'll want to attend.

• Options

Um? What? Like a sheriff is coming to her house and forcibly take her to the wedding? What kind of commentary is that? "Okay, I'll be there. But I won't be happy about it!" Don't fucking show up, you toddler. Sorry. That just strikes me the wrong way. Like if she shows up, you'll be overjoyed and bow in the grace of her presence and if she doesn't show up, how will you go on and get married!? Like the world revolves around her or something. Just irritating to me when people are like that. 

Etiquette is that even if someone has been invited but has stated they can't attend, you still send an invite. Plans change and perhaps they'll want to attend.
    OMG, THANK YOU for saying what I was thinking/feeling!  LOL!  On top of that, she started off that conversation with "Oh, I forgot I had something else to do that day so I won't be going to your wedding."  Then she went into the whole "I won't be happy, so I don't want an invite!" thing.  So, yes, I moved on and just sent out the invites.  I wasn't not sending it to her out of spite ... of course I was mad, but I didn't go:  "Oh, I don't care if this is against etiquette, I'm not sending her one!"  I just didn't send one because she said she didn't want one. 

OK.  You all are absolutely correct.  I think I let the circumstances overcome my better judgement/doing things the right way.  I guess I can say a silent thanks to my aunt but her butting in still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  But I will do the right thing. 

• Options
    Just to clarify further.  Did your aunt want you to invite more family than just your sister?  I think the only invite that should be sent is the one to your sister.  Let her be the one to decline the invite.  But if aunt wants you to invite a whole slew of family that was not invited to the wedding, sorry aunt - that's not happening.
  • Options
    So it sounds like the only two people who were invited with whom there's been drama are your bio-mom and your sister, right? You sent an invite to your bio-mom as a keepsake - even though she's not coming. Great - good move. You did not send one to your sister because she asked you not to send one. 

Since she asked you not to send one, I think you're in the clear. Your aunt is sticking her nose where it doesn't belong and probably doesn't realize that your sister specifically asked you not to send one. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I agree with PP. I'd still send the invite and just leave the ball in her court as to whether or not she wants to attend. (That is, IF you want to invite her). Because if you don't invite her, it just gives her something else to be shitty about. She sounds like the type of person who would turn it around on you and be mad for not getting an invite. 

You want to invite her, you do invite her, you've got nothing to worry about and have done nothing wrong. Whatever she decides to do from there is her problem. 
  • Options

Just to clarify further.  Did your aunt want you to invite more family than just your sister?  I think the only invite that should be sent is the one to your sister.  Let her be the one to decline the invite.  But if aunt wants you to invite a whole slew of family that was not invited to the wedding, sorry aunt - that's not happening.

No, she wasn't trying to invite additional people.  I was wondering that same thing at first until she kept talking and it was clear that word made it through the grapevine (obviously, putting me in the wrong) that I hadn't sent invitations to everyone in the family that had been originally were expected to be invited (i.e my sister). 

@southernbelle0915 Yep. 100%.  And I think my aunt didn't know that my sister didn't ask for an invite b/c the drama twins won't admit it.   My aunt probably doesn't even think that's an important detail anyway--- it's that I just "need to forgive and forget". FFS. 
  • Options

You should tell your aunt to mind her own business.

You should send your sister an invitation, since you have already invited her verbally, I assume.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd send the invite to your sister and leave the ball in her court. 
  • Options
    I love when people make asses of themselves. " Don't invite me to your wedding! I don't want to go!" A dumbass isn't going to your wedding. She sure showed you!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards