Not Engaged Yet

Wedding season...is this a thing now?

http://youtu.be/4KnBL3IZ5SI

I've attended plenty of weddings year round. Despite the creepy movie like trailer of this video, do you think that wedding season is a real thing or just a marketing gimmick to encourage brides to marry during specific months?

If you're engaged or an omh or if you have an ideal season when you'd prefer to get married, did you choose your date based on wedding season, because it had significance or because your venue had limited openings?

Re: Wedding season...is this a thing now?

• I think last year there was an article about 'engagement season' being from beginning of November to like end of March (college spring break).

Anniversary
  • I think in areas where we have awful winters it's more popular to get married during any time but Dec-Mar- although plenty of people do that too. That's about it though. 
    I'm getting married in June- which I think it the height of wedding season? But it wasn't my first pick. I would have preferred to get married in September but we wouldn't have had the funds for the wedding in September 2014 and I didn't want to wait until September 2015. So we pretty much picked June since it would be the next warm time we'd have enough money for the wedding.

• When I used to work at Bed, Bath and Beyond we had both engagement and wedding season. We had a huge influx of people coming in to register in the first few months of the year and then later in the year we would have the huge influx of people coming in to shop off the registry's. Based on what I saw while working there I would say that the numbers support both of those "seasons".
    friends tv show funy
  • I think there are definitely popular months for couples to get married based on weather. I didn't really chose during the "wedding season" just because I wanted to get married within the year I got engaged and the time of the year didn't really matter too much to me.
  • There is definitely a 'wedding season' in Phoenix, where I got married. It's crazy hot in the summer, so a much higher percentage of people get married between November - March.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• There's a "wedding season" in my area - since winters can be so long and spring melt can be so wet, most people get married from late April - September.
  • First, I was laughing when I saw that video yesterday.  

There's definitely a wedding season, but it varies in different locations. Where I am, wedding season is typically May-September (though it is starting to expand into October).  I'm surrounded by wedding venues and they have already started hiring for seasonal positions to have extra work during the busy season.  Also, their prices are completely different November-April than May-October. 

• In MN, a lot of people marry in fall when the colors are stunning but summer months June-August are popular too because it is warm. Not a lot of winter weddings, I have only been to one in the winter myself and it was a NYE wedding. It is so cold and the weather can be an issue for travel during the months of November-March. April and May are muddy without much color.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I'd say in Georgia we tend to have weddings closer to year round because we don't get super cold weather...but our regional "wedding season" tends to be from March through October/early November. I think there is a national wedding season though of June-September. You definitely see those dates book up first in popular venues before you do other dates.

I specifically chose my time of year because 1. I wanted less than a year's engagement and 2. October is usually really pleasant in our area and I wanted an outdoor ceremony. We hit the jackpot on weather the day of too. It was 72 degrees, sunny, zero humidity, and only the slightest of breezes. It was perfect!

• It's much more common for people to get married between May and October here, since the winters can be awful and it takes forever for everything to melt away. June to September tend to book up well in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• There's definitely a wedding season. We are seeing it in the prices at venues, that's for sure. And depending on the location that season may change. For example, in most places peak season seems to be May/June - September. But the place we looked at in the Hudson Valley, since it's on the river and the fall folage is incredible, their peak season is actually September-October, and the cost shows for it. Upwards of $25pp more to have a wedding in September than in off-season (January-March). 

FI and I know we need to have an off-season wedding, because otherwise we can't afford it. So we are looking at March/April depending on the venue so we can get those off-season discounts.

In terms of engagement season I've heard Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day as engagement season. There also tends to be sales on rings around that time too, as well as lots of holidays.
  • It rains here 75% of the year (the exception being this year, with its awesome weather), so anyone who wants a chance at an outdoor wedding pretty much has a 3-4 month window to try and miss the rain. That would definitely be "wedding season".

That video was hilarious though. I even showed it to my BF and he thought it was really funny.

• There's a "wedding season" in my area - since winters can be so long and spring melt can be so wet, most people get married from late April - September.

^^^ This^^^
  • There are definitely peak wedding times down here, but I don't think there are seasons per se. A local venue has prices online, and they've got it separated into peak and non-peak times. Non-peak is January, February, July, and August. The rest of the year is considered peak season. I've also been told by numerous people in the wedding industry down here that October is the new June for weddings. I think peak seasons are determined by your local climate.

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I definitely agree with @eilis1228. Here in SD, I'm not sure if there really is a wedding season, since the weather is almost perfect year round. Spring is normally very hot (90+ at the coast and hotter inland), so maybe that is off peak? I haven't really looked into it much here. 

NY definitely seems to have a wedding season, as prices were all insane from April-December at the venues we looked at. There were discounts for off peak seasons from January through March. I guess FI and I are getting married in the height of it, as we picked a July wedding. 

Also, @nycgal85, have you picked your venue yet? I have been so busy with work lately that I haven't been able to follow everything. If you haven't and are willing to travel, I can recommend some places in the Northern Hudson Valley/Capital Region. 

ETF: typo

• We definitely have a wedding season. At my shop we refer to December-March as Bridal Christmas because everyone gets engaged over the holidays/are already engaged and a majority of them get married in the summer/fall during wedding season so they go gown searching during Bridal Christmas.
  • eilis1228 said:

There are definitely peak wedding times down here, but I don't think there are seasons per se. A local venue has prices online, and they've got it separated into peak and non-peak times. Non-peak is January, February, July, and August. The rest of the year is considered peak season. I've also been told by numerous people in the wedding industry down here that October is the new June for weddings. I think peak seasons are determined by your local climate.

I've been hearing this too. Sounds like in the last few years people were wanting to avoid the "peak" season prices for June and July, and the weather in September and October is still usually really nice without being crazy hot and humid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @AuroraRose41 - No we haven't picked a venue yet, we looked at 3 last weekend, and 2 more coming up this weekend. We have looked in the Hudson Valley, but we don't want to go so far as Albany (we have a lot of OOT guests that would fly into NYC). 

We looked at Dutchess Manor last weekend and we liked it but didn't love it - we would have to have a March wedding for off-season, it's not exclusive space unless you pay more, and they told us they won't clean up and plant outside before Easter. This weekend we are looking at Cortlandt Colonial Manor which they are quoting us a very reasonable prices and the reviews are stellar, and Bronxville Women's Club. 

Our top pick is Pelham Split Rock in the Bronx though right now, since not only is April off-season there, but they are reasonably priced ($65pp for a buffet with beer, wine and sig cocktail), and it's in the city so it's convenient for most people.
  • @nycgal85 wow $65 pp is a great deal! Even the majority of venues up in Albany are more expensive than that, so I hope that works out for you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards