Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting Co-workers

I started with a new company about 6 months ago, I didn't send anyone STD's that I work with because I wanted to wait a bit to determine who I wanted to invite.  We have about 60 employees in the office of which I have decided to invite 7 plus their SO's  since these are the ones who I am around constantly and have formed good relationships with.  I would love to invite everyone that I work with but that is completely unrealistic since there are so many.  So I have gathered their addresses and am sending the invitations to their home addresses.  Now should I invite the owners of the company?  I've asked FI and my parents and they say it's your decision, I know it's my decision but would it be rude if I invited some employees and not the owners?  They have been super nice to me, I just haven't had that much communication with them. 

Re: Inviting Co-workers

• Options
    Etiquette wise, you don't NEED to invite anyone. Including the owners. 

This right here (office politics) is exactly why I invited zero co-workers to my wedding. How many owners are there? Will it break the bank or venue caps if you invite them? If not, I probably would because office politics. If it will or if you don't want to, don't think twice about it because you're absolutely in the etiquette clear.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Lissa1213Lissa1213 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

There are only two owners of the company, they are brothers.  It won't break the bank and we would have room for them.  I guess my main concern is seeming gift grabby or anything like since I am not that close to them.  I would love it if they came (because they are pretty fun gentlemen) and on the same hand I would completely understand if they chose not to come (one of them has a son who is getting married the week after mine).

I just don't know how the invite would be perceived.  Sorry Should have put that in the OP

• Options

if you don't have much communication with them then why would you invite them to your wedding?  I work at a 55 person place and our CEO is fun but I don't deal with him on a regular basis and certainly don't hang out outside of work so I would never think of inviting him just bc he owns the company.

• Options
    I didn't invite my boss or the CEO. I invited 7 coworkers and their significant others. I also hung out with every single one of these people and knew their SO well. 

Do what ever you feel is best. An invitation is not a summons, if you want to invite the owners, do it!

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My opinion on co-workers is to invite them just as you would friends- invite them because you are friends, not just because you are co-workers.

I suppose if you had a huge budget and were planning a 300 person guest list, why not invite any person you've said more than "hello" to once.... but otherwise, I think people get too hung up on co-workers. If you WANT them there, invite them, if not, then don't. 
  • Options
    Would you invite the owner's to a cook out in your backyard? If the answer is no, then don't invite them to your wedding.
  • Options
    I work for a company that has almost 700 employees, but only 7 or so in my department.  That said, I did not invite any of them to my wedding because I just think it would be a bit awkward.  I get along well with everyone I work with but having them at my wedding would be a bit much.  If it makes you feel uncomfortable inviting the owners then I wouldnt, it's not necessary.
  • Options
    OP, this is kind of a thread jack, but I'd be curious what others think. Honestly, I find it a little strange when people invite bosses they're not close to, and do not invite coworkers or they or may not be close to. Does this rub anyone else the wrong way? Inviting management, but not the peons, just because they're management. I'm not implying brown-nosing, or any kind of agenda, I just wonder if it is a result of ingrained classism.

Anniversary

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

OP, this is kind of a thread jack, but I'd be curious what others think. Honestly, I find it a little strange when people invite bosses they're not close to, and do not invite coworkers or they or may not be close to. Does this rub anyone else the wrong way? Inviting management, but not the peons, just because they're management. I'm not implying brown-nosing, or any kind of agenda, I just wonder if it is a result of ingrained classism.

There might be some classism, brown-nosing, or careerism involved, but I think in some cases when people do invite bosses, even if they don't invite coworkers, it's because they feel that their jobs, responsibilities, benefits, perks, etc. might be on the line if they don't.

Also, I've read that in if you're in the military and having a military wedding, you not only have to invite your commanding officer and his/her SO but must seat them in a position of honor. If either or both of the couple has a military background, that might factor into any decisions to invite the boss, even if they are now civilians.
  • Options

I definitely would invite the owners to a party I was throwing, they are great people to be around. I speak to both of them on a weekly basis, mostly business wise as well,  The group that I have chosen to invite are people that I go to lunch with and chit chat with during the day.  We also have a company sponsored kickball team and we all play on that as well.  I definitely don't want the owners to feel as though I have snubbed them by not giving them an invite, however I don't want to seem gift grabby either by inviting them. 

We do have a nice budget and the guest list is at 268 so far so 4 more people definitely will not make a difference. I think I am going to just send them invites and as I said before, if they come, they come, if not, well that's okay too.

Thanks Ladies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards