Chit Chat

Ways to cheer up best friend?

My best friend is in her 3rd year of medical school, and she called me crying her face off the other night. She did the first 2 years down in the Caribbean, the past year doing rotations in NYC. Yesterday she moved to Baltimore for rotations (not optional), and in July they are sending her to Miami for rotations. It's hard enough working 12-24 hour shifts at the hospital and studying for exams, but to also be moving around and not have a stable home is really taking its toll on her. She is single, so that also makes it hard because all of her friends are settled with houses and husbands and she's basically longing for that "normalcy".

I feel so bad that she's not happy. I just want to do something nice to cheer her up. Between weddings, birthdays, and moving out of our home I really don't have the time or money to fly down and visit her. And since she's living on student loans, she can't afford to fly home. I guess mailing her something is the best option, but I don't really want it to be perishable because with her schedule she sometimes sleeps at the hospital. I wouldn't want food or flowers just sitting outside going bad. Any ideas?!

Re: Ways to cheer up best friend?

• I bet your availability to talk to her on the phone really helps her out a lot and it sounds like you're a great friend. What about doing a little research and finding a massage parlor or nail salon in her area and sending her a gift certificate for a little spa day so she can relax?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• When she has down time (which seems to be few and far between) what does she like to do?  Is she a spa type of girl?  Maybe a few hours of pampering would be a nice way to help her relax and de-stress.

• Would she like a massage or something? Maybe buy her a massage or pedicure or something at a local spa? 

Or just a big box full of stuff that may help out: coloring books/crayons, crosswords, puzzles, little weird things that you may share that'll make her laugh (for my favorite long distance friend and I, it was boxed mac and cheese. Shit stays "good" FOREVER.)... DVDs or maybe a redbox rental card? Lotion, sunscreen (get out and get some vitamin D, girl!), smelly pick me ups, or maybe lavender to help with sleep... 

I could do this shit all day. I love sending careboxes. When my brother was in Afghanistan, it was my job to send the care packages. And then I got employed to send care packages to half of his group haha. It's one of my favorite things to do!

• Could you afford to sign up for a meal/food delivery service? When I'm super busy, the hardest thing for me is eating healthy.

One of my girlfriends is finishing up rotations for general surgery. She's in my area so I bring her a pan of lasagna or something now and then. But if she wasn't local, I'd probably look into a local food delivery service. I googled Baltimore and a couple I found are Hometown Harvest and Hartland Home Foods. 

Or just a nice, encouraging card. If you have an old picture of the two of you together, make a copy and send it along.
    *********************************************************************************

• Man, I totally understand how she feels and nearly had a nervous breakdown this year with travel, not feeling like I had a home, and a residence we were renovating that didn't go well and left me feeling like I was dwelling in a construction site.

I think a care package is a great idea, one of my favorite items is a plush blanket from Bed, Bath, & Beyond (around $25).  Wrapping yourself up in it feels like you're getting a giant hug.  Perhaps a care package with the blanket, some tea, a good book, some candy (that won't perish) will make her feel at home wherever she is.  You can also get the plush blankets at TJ Maxx & Homegoods.  

Agree with @Peachy13, just being there for her probably makes her feel somewhat anchored.  You sound like a wonderful friend, I'm sure your efforts will cheer her up and just remind her that this is the toughest part - she's chasing her dream and making people well in the process.  That career path is one sacrifice after another, just keep reminding her how proud you are of her and her choices.  
  • I'd go with a gift certificate for a massage. She's probably on her feet, dealing with unthinkable stress round the clock, so even a brief respite would help.

Also, if you send her a care package, please include this:

http://bucky.com/40-blinks-sleep-masks/

I used to work in a hospital, and even in on call rooms there's usually a light on. That's the only eye mask I found that blocks it all out.
  • I think a care package would be really appreciated!  I would probably get food, but stuff that is vacuum sealed or canned, etc.  Something that if it sits outside her door, it will still be good when she gets to it.

If you know anyone with a food saver, you could bake her something and then vacuum seal it closed once it cools to mail to her.  It will stay fresh!  When H and I went on vacation last year, I got us a big container of Wegmans Ultimate Chocolate Chip cookies.  THE BEST COOKIES EVER! I vacuum sealed them in the food saver resealable bags, since we drove I brought the little sealer with me.  Those cookies were just as fresh the first day as they were the last day.

• Thanks for the great ideas!!

Her mom & grandma from Greece make some of the best treats so I'll see if maybe they want to make anything to include! I like the massage idea too, or something pampering. And from the 10 wedding pictures that I was left with, there's a good one of DH, me, and her. Maybe I will print that out!

• Awww..that's really hard.  Maybe send her a gift card for mani and pedi?
  • bizzy592 said:

I'd go with a gift certificate for a massage. She's probably on her feet, dealing with unthinkable stress round the clock, so even a brief respite would help.

I used to work in a hospital, and even in on call rooms there's usually a light on. That's the only eye mask I found that blocks it all out.

I'm stealing this idea!  I'm on a red-eye to Europe several times a year and have yet to find a decent mask.  Thank you!
  • Would she like a massage or something? Maybe buy her a massage or pedicure or something at a local spa? 

Or just a big box full of stuff that may help out: coloring books/crayons, crosswords, puzzles, little weird things that you may share that'll make her laugh (for my favorite long distance friend and I, it was boxed mac and cheese. Shit stays "good" FOREVER.)... DVDs or maybe a redbox rental card? Lotion, sunscreen (get out and get some vitamin D, girl!), smelly pick me ups, or maybe lavender to help with sleep... 

I could do this shit all day. I love sending careboxes. When my brother was in Afghanistan, it was my job to send the care packages. And then I got employed to send care packages to half of his group haha. It's one of my favorite things to do!
    Ooh ooh get her one of these and some colored pencils!

• @lolo883 SOLD.

• bizzy592 said:

I'd go with a gift certificate for a massage. She's probably on her feet, dealing with unthinkable stress round the clock, so even a brief respite would help.

The bucky sleep mask is awesome, I have been using them for years!

I'm sure a care package would be much appreciated, maybe of things that will remind her of home and your friendship. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards