Ohio-Columbus
Options

Donuts instead of Cake

Hi All,
We're considering doing donuts instead of a wedding cake. The real motivation behind this is we think donuts will go great with our signature drink, which will be a spiced (rum) hot cider. And I won't lie, we're trying to cut costs in this area, too. 
Has anyone done this, or been to a wedding where they've swapped donuts for cake? Any local vendor recommendations?

Re: Donuts instead of Cake

• Options
    donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I've been to a few weddings without THE cake:
    Pie (s)
    Cookie or candy table only
    Bananas Foster
    Individual Cake per table as centerpiece
    Cupcakes displayed LIKE a cake
    Ice Cream Sundae bar

So - Doughnuts?  Yes please!  

A similar display as a cupcake display would be fun ... and I'm sure there are pinterest pics of dougnut "cakes"

Local vendor?  Do you have a favorite doughnut shop?  Approach your favorite, and sincerely flatter them until they give you a great deal ;-)

Fun idea!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    My co-worker did donuts and reported they were fabulous and everyone loved them. Not sure if it was cheaper than cake. He's out today, so I'll ask who he used and report back. I know it was local tho and they served 4 different flavors.

If you are looking to cut cost - ask if your meal includes dessert. Many venues offer dessert, but instead of dessert they waive the cake cutting fee. Serve the dessert included with your menu if possible. That's what we did. They had a white chocolate raspberry cake that was perfect and delicious! We cut a small plain white cake my MIL made with plain white frosting so people assumed we cut the same thing.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    IMO, DK Diner on 3rd in Grandview does amazing donuts.  They'd be worth checking out if you go that direction.  As for serving non-traditional dessert... go for it.  As long as you host your guests well, there are no rules about exactly what you have to serve.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards