Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How much time for pictures?

I am trying to figure out my wedding timeline and right now it looks like we will be able to have about an hour for pictures before the ceremony and an hour after. So the plan was to take the bridal portraits, pictures of bride with family, and pictures of bride with bridesmaids before the ceremony. There will be another photographer with the guys as well. After the ceremony we would take the family shots, bridal party shots, and bride and groom shots. Is this way to ambitious? Should I try to make more time for in between the ceremony and reception? We are having a receiving line after the ceremony which is why we will only have about an hour for pictures. Should I not have a receiving line and just focus on pictures? 

Re: How much time for pictures?

• tetela said:

I am trying to figure out my wedding timeline and right now it looks like we will be able to have about an hour for pictures before the ceremony and an hour after. So the plan was to take the bridal portraits, pictures of bride with family, and pictures of bride with bridesmaids before the ceremony. There will be another photographer with the guys as well. After the ceremony we would take the family shots, bridal party shots, and bride and groom shots. Is this way to ambitious? Should I try to make more time for in between the ceremony and reception? We are having a receiving line after the ceremony which is why we will only have about an hour for pictures. Should I not have a receiving line and just focus on pictures? 

An hour is more then enough time between your ceremony and reception for pictures, especially since you are having pictures done before hand as well.

After two hours of taking pictures, you will be over it and ready to party.  And really, the before ceremony pictures, probably won't take an hour.

• tetela said:

Have you spoken to your photographer? My photographer has written in the contract that he'll start shooting 2 hours prior to the ceremony and end 30mins before the ceremony. Then we'll have the ceremony and then after that, we will have time for photos through cocktail hour then go from there.

Perhaps speak to your photographer and have an idea written down of all the photos you want: you alone, you and bridal party, you and husband, you and family, you and him and family etc etc etc. Then go from there for your timeline. Make sure that what you're planning is doable with the person that's executing your plan :)

• Maggie0829

Thanks! That is a relief lol on paper it doesn't seem like it would take that long to take pictures but having other people involved, I was afraid it would slow the process down but I guess I shouldn't worry :)
  • mikenberger

That's very true. I need to make a list and ask my photographer if it's doable. There's just so many details lol 
  • tetela said:

mikenberger

That's very true. I need to make a list and ask my photographer if it's doable. There's just so many details lol 
    Girl. You're preaching to the choir haha But you're on the right track!

• That should be fine as long as you can keep things organized and make sure everyone knows what is going on. Like do all the photos you want with your family & FI, then do all the photos you want of families combined, like pictures with both sets of parents, grandparents, etc. Then your family can leave. Then do all the groupings of you & fi & his family & then his family can leave. Then do any combined bridal party shots.

If you can, have a written out list of the different photos you want & give that to the photographer, then they can go, ok, I need MOB, FOB. Now MOB & FOB stay there, let's bring in xxx.. This will keep things flowing and done quickly.

• You can always have a slightly longer cocktail hour if you think you'll need more time and don't want to cancel the receiving line. In most situation an hour is sufficient. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We spent about a half hour before the ceremony and a half hour after.  It was ample, if not about 10 minutes more than we needed.  I have a small family though.

One of the best things we did was having about 15 minutes after post-ceremony pics to sit inside after ceremony while cocktail hour was going on outside.  Servers brought us a plate of the appetizers inside to eat away from the wedding chaos.  It was the only 15 minutes we had alone the entire event!  After those 15 mins were up, it was back to lining up to enter reception, greeting everyone at reception, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards