Wedding Party
Options

Pregnant Bridesmaid

Hey there everyone,

So I need some help.  My wedding is about 6 weeks away and I'm have some bridesmaid dress issues.

My maid of honor found out she was pregnant around the time we were selecting and ordering dresses.  I gave her the option of finding some thing different but after some discussion we agreed that the dress I had selected for the rest of the girls would work (Alfred Angle style # 7264L).  She is a very small individual and didn't expect to gain too much weight with her pregnancy.

With this being her first child, and not knowing what to expect, she ordered a dress size that was not large enough for her now at 6 months pregnant.  We are going through some alteration options with a seamstress; however, I fear that the alternations she is asking for are not going to be feasible.

The option of ordering the current dress in a larger size is off the table due to the current processing times.  I would love some suggestions of places that you can get essentially an off-the-rack or rushed bridesmaid dress to accommodate a pregnant bridesmaid.

Re: Pregnant Bridesmaid

• Options
    My MOH got her dress at Macy's 2 days ago. She opted for them to ship her a brand new one (it gets in tomorrow), but she could have walked out with the dress right then and there. That may be an option for you.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    What color is the dress you went with?

• Options
    She can buy an off the rack dress.
  • Options
    They usually leave quite a bit of material to play with for alterations. I would wait and see what the seamstress says first. 

That being said, when I was pregnant with my son, I didn't gain any weight until I was 26 weeks, then from 26-37 weeks I gained 50lbs, and I'm small to begin with.

Be prepared that your BM may end up in an entirely different dress, but see if the seamstress can do something first.
  • Options

They usually leave quite a bit of material to play with for alterations. I would wait and see what the seamstress says first. 

That being said, when I was pregnant with my son, I didn't gain any weight until I was 26 weeks, then from 26-37 weeks I gained 50lbs, and I'm small to begin with.

Be prepared that your BM may end up in an entirely different dress, but see if the seamstress can do something first.
    This is not always true.  Especially with chiffon dresses, there is typically very little material to work with.

• Options
    If she can't find a larger dress that will ship in time, I would have her get another color (off the rack) that goes with your wedding colors. Or she could get something completely different. That would actually be a lot easier on both of you.

Here are some pictures of MOHs in different dresses than the rest of the wedding party. It's kind of trendy right now and wouldn't look out of place at all.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

This is not always true.  Especially with chiffon dresses, there is typically very little material to work with.
    True, I've only ever worn Poie de Soie dresses for weddings and they usually come with miles of material for alterations. Chiffon is a pain in the ass to sew with, OP if your BM dress is Chiffon, I would just get another one.

ETF: Spelling

• Options

What color is the dress you went with?

The dresses are charcoal with a moonlight waltz sash (which is like a silvery gray color).
  • Options

True, I've only ever worn Poie de Soie dresses for weddings and they usually come with miles of material for alterations. Chiffon is a pain in the ass to sew with, OP if your BM dress is Chiffon, I would just get another one.

ETF: Spelling

It is chiffon and there is no extra room.  I think the more I look at the options, it is going to be best if we just find her a new dress.
  • Options
    If the alterations don't work, she can buy a different dress. No big deal. The MOH often wears a different dress.
  • Options
    I totally think she should just get a different dress and I am completely OKAY with that.

I just need some suggestions of where I can find a formal maternity dress on a short time frame.
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the American stores, but I know up here that any place that sells formal wear has access to Maternity sizes in that wear. You may have to ask the sales people in the store but most stores that sell formal wear do have maternity sizing, they just don't necessarily advertise it and you may have to special order.
  • Options
    Here are some options that are lower in price.  And if your friend has a Red Card, free shipping and returns!
    CLICK, CLICK, CLICK

• Options

Have her check out David's Bridal, they will allow you to buy off the rack, and I know when my girls got their dresses their, they came in within two weeks. The great thing is since she is your MOH if she is in a different shade of gray it won't look odd because many brides do a different dress/color for the MOH to make her stand out as the MOH. Here is a link to their Maternity dresses. If you click on the dress itself, you can go in & see all the different colors that are available.  http://www.davidsbridal.com/SearchDisplay?searchType=1000&pageView=grid&catalogId=10051&facet=ads_f1_ntk_cs%253A%2522Mercury%2522&showResultsPage=true&beginIndex=0&categoryId=3002771&langId=-1&storeId=10052&sType=SimpleSearch

• Options
    edited April 2015
    This happened to a friend of mine. The bridesmaid ended up ordering extra material from the bridal shop and the tailor was able to add side panels in the dress without a problem!

Hers were also chiffon. I would still ask a talented seamstress just to see if that is an option before ruling it out, and if that doesn't work - an off the rack but different dress will be nice too!

ETA: just realized this comment is irrelevant - sorry. Happy shopping :)
  • Options
    Look at David's Bridal- they have a nice selection of "maternity" dresses and my MOH is going to wear one from there (if she makes it to the wedding- her due date is 3 days prior) It's best to just go with a new dress and sell the other dress before alterations are made.  DB has a lot of options for colors so I'm sure you can find something similar.  And if you can't find the exact color, get a lighter or darker color that would compliment the bridesmaids dresses.  She will stand out as the MOH.  
  • Options
    Look into maternity stores as well like Modern Maternity and Pea in a Pod.  I wouldn't worry about looking at specific bridal salons for dresses.  Just find a dress at any store that fits into the formality of your wedding.
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    There are two moonlit waltz ones in size 12 on eBay right now.

There are also a few charcoal ones, including this style:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301575985003

You could search secondhand sites for a charcoal dress so color is same but style is different. Here's a size 8 charcoal that's one shoulder and chiffon:

https://m.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/123592/Alfred-Angelo-7243-Size-8.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards