Wedding Reception Forum

how long should this take...?

Hi knotties,

Three weeks to go! I'm trying to figure out whether it would be better to have a receiving line or do table visits. We're expecting about 140 guests.

How much time should we estimate for a receiving line, vs. table visits (it would be, roughly, 14 tables of 10 guests (2 of these tables would be wedding party + spouses/SOs))?

This is additionally complicated because we want to have yichud (Jewish wedding: couple goes into seclusion for 10-15 min. after ceremony, and is considered the final step of the actual wedding process). So while I'd like to do the receiving line, I'm a little sad at the thought that it would push back yichud and we could end up missing a LOT of our cocktail hour (which, honestly, is always my favorite part of other people's weddings!).

On the other hand, I can't help but feel like a receiving line would still be faster than table visits.

Also: If we do table visits, do we need to make visits at our wedding parties' two tables? We'll definitely be interacting a lot with them for the rest of the day.

Thank you for your help!

Re: how long should this take...?

• I'm a huge fan of receiving lines over table visits as a guest. I hate having to make awkward small talk with couple and ten other ppl I may not know well while I'm trying to eat my dinner. It seems very disruptive to me personally. Either is fine etiquette wise though.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

As a guest, I also prefer receiving lines (so long as it's just the bride(s)/groom(s) and other hosts like parents and not the whole wedding party - I have zero interest in shaking hands and chit-chatting with Bridesmaid #4 or Groomsman #2, etc.).  The waiting in line part kind of stinks, but it's over faster (people tend to not linger when the receiving line is between them and food/booze and they see a line of people behind them waiting).  Whereas with table visits - they generally are about 5 minutes per table, in my experience, but it also tends to be chit chat monopolized by a few chattier people at the table.  Plus, interrupting my dinner.

The other nice thing about receiving lines vs. table visits, in my opinion, is that you're  almost guaranteed to personally greet everyone, whereas you could miss people who have gone to the restroom or the bar or to get food if you're having a buffet during table visits and then have to keep track and make sure you find them later.

However, some b(s)/g(s) prefer table visits precisely because it does provide a bit more interaction with the guests than the superficial greetings and hugs in the receiving line.

• H and I went to a wedding this fall and they did a receiving line kinda thing immediately after the ceremony. Instead of walking out immediately after the first kiss, they went aisle by aisle and hugged and thanked everyone as they walked out. 

I think they also did the table visits, but I really liked the way that they did that after the ceremony. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • H and I went to a wedding this fall and they did a receiving line kinda thing immediately after the ceremony. Instead of walking out immediately after the first kiss, they went aisle by aisle and hugged and thanked everyone as they walked out. 

I think they also did the table visits, but I really liked the way that they did that after the ceremony. 
    This would be a great option. Then you hit everyone. You can still go around to tables and say hi, but if someone is up at the bar or bathroom, you won't have to worry about missing them because you got them early. It will suck to miss part of your cocktail hour. It's either you miss that or you miss out time at your reception where you can be dancing or talking to guests catching up because you are doing table visits.
  • We did a receiving line. With about 175 guests, I think it took 20-25 minutes or so.

The nice thing about receiving lines is that people feel the need to keep moving because there's a line. You can always double back with people at the reception and we made every effort to do so, but we didn't feel awful if we missed anyone because we had already thanked each guest for coming
    *********************************************************************************

• We did a receiving line and for 120 it took about 10-15 minutes.  It was quick and painless.  We did manage to talk to everyone another time throughout the night, but if we missed some people it wasn't a big deal because we had already thanked them.
  • I'm partial to receiving lines. We did one and it took about 15 minutes I think. 
  • I'm partial to table visits. I've only ever seen a receiving line, personally, at relatives weddings when I was a kid and it was a church wedding. Never at any of the probably 20+ weddings I've been to as an adult! That seems odd given the resposnes above mine!

When doing table visits, it's no big deal if you miss one person because they're at the bar or the bathroom. It happens. You have the whole evening to see all the guests--you can get the majority done with the table visits and then see anyone you missed while dancing and mingling. 

I'd much rather be sitting and eating while waiting to greet the bride and groom, than standing in a line!
  • jacques27 said:

As a guest, I also prefer receiving lines (so long as it's just the bride(s)/groom(s) and other hosts like parents and not the whole wedding party - I have zero interest in shaking hands and chit-chatting with Bridesmaid #4 or Groomsman #2, etc.).  The waiting in line part kind of stinks, but it's over faster (people tend to not linger when the receiving line is between them and food/booze and they see a line of people behind them waiting).  Whereas with table visits - they generally are about 5 minutes per table, in my experience, but it also tends to be chit chat monopolized by a few chattier people at the table.  Plus, interrupting my dinner.

The other nice thing about receiving lines vs. table visits, in my opinion, is that you're  almost guaranteed to personally greet everyone, whereas you could miss people who have gone to the restroom or the bar or to get food if you're having a buffet during table visits and then have to keep track and make sure you find them later.

However, some b(s)/g(s) prefer table visits precisely because it does provide a bit more interaction with the guests than the superficial greetings and hugs in the receiving line.

I'm sorry, not about the topic... but how much do I hate that the Pound sign or Number sign is now only a damn hashtag.  You're trying to number things and put the number sign in front of a number and all of a sudden it's a twitter tag.  Sigh.  I hate social media.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards