Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Thank you gifts for volunteers

I am the business manager for a titleholder in the Miss America Organization here in Boston. Little bit of background: She holds a local area title and will be competing for Miss Massachusetts in June (if she wins, then she competes at Miss America). Part of my job is to help prepare her for the state pageant, and what is arguably the most important part of the competition is the 10 minute, press conference style interview (minus the hand-raising) where a panel of judges ask questions, one after another, for 10 minutes. Because Miss America is a scholarship organization, the questions are usually pretty intense at the state level, and the contestants are asked anything from their resume, to current events, to politics, to their particular community service efforts. 

I thought the best thing to do for her preparation would be to organize a mock interview, complete with a mini panel of judges, for an interview practice session of about 30-45 minutes with feedback and the anticipated chit-chat.  I have already gotten 3 volunteers to sit for it (2 pageant people, 1 'novice' judge who is a very good friend of mine), so I was thinking of treating the group to a nice lunch as a thank you for their time. Is that an appropriate way to say "thank you," or should I be giving some gifts as well? I don't have a TON of money to invest in this as the months of April-July are going to be chock full of things requiring lots of spending, but I just really wanted to do something nice for my titleholder and I want to make sure I'm taking care of my volunteers properly.

Imagine that you are interested in this kind of thing and let me know if you would feel adequately compensated by a nice lunch.

Re: NWR: Thank you gifts for volunteers

• Options
    I would actually probably prefer a small gift card to a coffee shop instead.  Maybe I'm just being anti-social, but after giving up some free time to help out with it, I probably wouldn't want to sit around and chat more at lunch.  
  • Options
    saric83 said:

I would actually probably prefer a small gift card to a coffee shop instead.  Maybe I'm just being anti-social, but after giving up some free time to help out with it, I probably wouldn't want to sit around and chat more at lunch.  

That's a very good point that I hadn't considered. I pictured this playing out by reserving a table in a private room at a restaurant and having the lunch immediately follow the practice interviews. It's very possible that they will want to just get on with their day afterwards. Thank you for that insight!
  • Options
    People are still pretending that Miss America is a scholarship organization with a straight face? Huh.
  • Options

People are still pretending that Miss America is a scholarship organization with a straight face? Huh.

Hey, nice tits and a flat stomach help you concentrate.

Anniversary

• Options
    Actually, I think it's all a giant scam that sucks a fortune out of it's "scholars" while claiming it provides a ton of scholarship money but in reality only providing a small portion of that. Serious scholarships don't need to see you in an evening gown or a bathing suit. Nor do they necessitate business managers.

But as for gifts for volunteers a Starbucks card would be nice, or a gift cert for a pedicure if they'd be into that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards