Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Catering Company CRISIS!!!

Any help or suggestions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!! I went to pay off the remaining balance of our catering contract and the owner contacted me immediately and told me that the director that I had done our tasting with and all contract negotiations, was no longer with the company. Not only that, but he had taken their name, logo, and my entire deposit which was about 90% of the contract price. He hadn't left them with a copy of my contract or even scheduled me in their books but I sent them the contract and they said that they would make it right. 

I obviously won't go with the director's new company because I no longer have any faith in him, or the way he does business. But I don't know the owner from the original company at all and my level of confidence is very small. I don't want to have my food and linens and everything else in my contract ruined but what do I need to do with the company to get that confidence back? Should I even stay with them at all?

Re: Catering Company CRISIS!!!

• That's a crazy situation to be in.

That said, I think you need to give the company a chance to make it right like they said they would. It's not a given that your food or linens will be ruined because the crook has left without leaving any information. Try them. See what they can do. If they don't live up to what you want, then look elsewhere. I'd wager they've been broadsided much like you have in this situation.

• I would probably set up a time to discuss all the details of your contract with the owner.  Just because you haven't worked with him/her directly doesn't mean that your food and linens are gonig to be messed up.  Is the food being prepared by the same chef?  Are the linens being brought in by the same linen company.  Yeah the asshole took your money and the companies name and logo but it doesn't sound like he took the chef or linens.

So before you drop this company because of one person being an ass, have a conversation with the owner.  I can pretty much guarantee that he/she will want to make sure that everything is done perfectly in regards to your wedding so that you give the company a great review after this whole debacle.

• Hopefully you didn't pay cash so far...  IMO, you may end up in a sticky situation.  Hopefully you paid with a check or credit card such that you may be able to dispute the charge or there is a paper trail regarding the theft involved (i.e. where it was deposited)... 

Good luck!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards