Attire & Accessories Forum

Gown preservation

What is the purpose of getting your wedding gown preserved?? Where can you take it, and what does it typically cost? Our wedding was about 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering how soon I need to act on this, if at all. Any help appreciated! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gown preservation

• I took mine to a local dry cleaners.  The point in preserving it is that it doesn't turn yellow/dry rot/mold or mildew. Mine hung for about a year dirty in the closet before I finally got around to getting it cleaned and preserved so I don't think that there is an immediate rush.  I even had a red stain from a drink spilled on my back and it came out just fine, even after a year.  For me it cost $200 to get cleaned and preserved.

• tcnoble said:

What is the purpose of getting your wedding gown preserved?? Where can you take it, and what does it typically cost? Our wedding was about 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering how soon I need to act on this, if at all. Any help appreciated! 

I haven't taken mine in yet but the local dry cleaner quoted me about $100 for it.
  • I did it. And don't really know why I did it. Because now my beautiful dress is in this weird, coffin-like box under my bed??? I think it was $120.
  • jenijoyk said:

I did it. And don't really know why I did it. Because now my beautiful dress is in this weird, coffin-like box under my bed??? I think it was $120.

This.  I thought I would at least be able to see it through a clear plastic "window" in the box, but I found out after it was done that the clear window is underneath another solid cover that's sealed, and if I break the seal, I void all warranty or whatever.  So really, I have no idea that it's even my dress in the box.   hahaha.  It cost me about $175 to clean and preserve.  My local dry cleaners did it.
  • JoanE2012 said:

jenijoyk said:

I did it. And don't really know why I did it. Because now my beautiful dress is in this weird, coffin-like box under my bed??? I think it was $120.

This.  I thought I would at least be able to see it through a clear plastic "window" in the box, but I found out after it was done that the clear window is underneath another solid cover that's sealed, and if I break the seal, I void all warranty or whatever.  So really, I have no idea that it's even my dress in the box.   hahaha.  It cost me about $175 to clean and preserve.  My local dry cleaners did it.
    Honestly, it's almost weirder with the window. Mine has a window, and inside I can see my dress, which is being worn by this weird cardboard torso. It seriously is like a torso. In a box. Under a bed. Wearing my wedding dress.
  • jenijoyk said:

JoanE2012 said:

jenijoyk said:

Honestly, it's almost weirder with the window. Mine has a window, and inside I can see my dress, which is being worn by this weird cardboard torso. It seriously is like a torso. In a box. Under a bed. Wearing my wedding dress.
    Mine has that window as well.  But that windowed box is inside a thick cardboard box so I the only way I can see my dress is if I pull the one box out of the other.  And the one time I did that the people who preserved it didn't even really lay out my dress well.  And it is wrapped in a piece of blue plastic so now my dress looks blue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards