Wedding Woes
Options

I know I'd never name a kid "Jason".

Dear Prudence,
Before I had my first child, I worked at an alternative school. I cared deeply for many of my students, and after I left I kept track of how some of them were doing. Now I am expecting twins, and I am torn about whether or not it would be strange to give one of them the same name as one of my favorite students. I have always liked this name, even before I knew this student. I wouldn’t name the baby “after” my student, but the name would always hold some special meaning for me. Sadly, this boy dropped out of school, became a drug dealer, and was recently killed at a young age while attempting to commit an armed robbery. Despite this, I know he was truly a special person who chose a bad path. My husband knew him as well, and although he is not against the name, he isn’t exactly for it. Am I crazy to even consider this name?

—What’s in a Name?

Re: I know I'd never name a kid "Jason".

• Options
    Or Wayne. Wayne is a bad name. I swear, Wayne has to be used in more names that are associated with violent crimes than any other name.
  • Options
    Maybe she needs to run it by the rest of her family - that'll work - sure it will <snickers because of what happened on the "baby naming boards" of years past which is mild compared to discussing what they'll name the babies with ANYONE in their social circle>...
  • Options
    Bacon, don't do it. We wouldn't want your son to end up on First 48, yo.

• Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    This is weird. Yes, the kid may have chosen the wrong path, but he did bad things and got killed.  Why would you want to associate your newborn son with that mess?  
  • Options
    The thing is, she says she always liked the name.  I think maybe her trepidation stems from the fact that someone she knows by that name had a bit of a tragic life.  The name shouldn't be soiled by some negative association (in that the boy with that name didn't do so well). 

• Options
    This actually makes a case for "youneek" names - not like anyone would have a negative association with Dyll Pik'Ell
  • Options
    meh. in my haze of the epidural, i agreed with dh to name baby mo the same name as the kid of one of the people i hate the most.

i cried after i remembered, and dh offered to go through all the paperwork to change, but in the end, meh.

he is baby mo, and that horrible woman's child will be the lesser version, as far as i am concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards