Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Bridesmaid's Dresses of All Sizes

Does anyone know of any places (besides David's Bridal) that carries bridesmaid's dresses of all sizes to try on?  I know David's Bridal has Jr Bridesmaids to Plus Sizes for people to try on and I plan on going there with my girls but I'm looking for another place to try since David's Bridal has limited choices for the type of dress I'm looking for (floor length, something w/ straps, ideally 1 shoulder).

Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaid's Dresses of All Sizes

• Options

Being plus size I had a BEYOND horrid time trying to find a place that I could purchase anything formal off the rack other than David's (be selective about which one you go to - some locations are far better than others!)..   

IMO - if you've got a style/color/fabric in mind, skip the shopping and choose the dress and say "this is it" - find it in a budget that your girls can all afford...  I'm a fan online of Light in the Box or JJ's House online  because you can order the dresses using exact measurements, any color you want, and all the way up to size 26 (and their sizing is traditional sizing)... 

• Options
    That's good to know.  I'm hesitant with online ordering for dresses but will keep it in mind.  I bought my dress from DB in Roseville and I haven't had a problem so far.   Thanks again for the input!
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I purchased my DD's First Communion and later on my Anniversary dress from LITB - Totally with you on being hesitant.  The only challenge we ran into is that DD's Satin dress needed a good pressing, but otherwise, it's sad to say, I got better Customer Service and return policy (all bridal shops are once you order It, it's yours even if the mistake is on their end)...
  • Options
    I really want to see my girls try on dresses though before I decide.  I have ideas of what I like and want to see them in since they range from the size of a 9 year old to a plus size woman...I want coverage in the bust because many of my girls are bigger chested and my sister is 9 so she doesn't need anything too revealing.  I'm definitely the kind of person that needs to see things in person to get the full idea. I've actually had good service (thus far) with DB
  • Options
    The Wedding Shoppe has a lot of choices and I know they do plus size. They do charge extra for anything over a certain size (18 or 20 I think) though, which kind of sucks, but maybe they do that everywhere
  • Options
    That's good to know!  I just scheduled an appointment at DB and plan to schedule one at the Wedding Shoppe...That's so ridiculous that they charge for over a certain size :(
  • Options
    STPgirl88 said:

The Wedding Shoppe has a lot of choices and I know they do plus size. They do charge extra for anything over a certain size (18 or 20 I think) though, which kind of sucks, but maybe they do that everywhere

They do that everywhere, I think. Designers charge more for plus size dresses because they need more fabric. It's super sucky when you already feel bad about your size, but I've run into it all over the place.

We went to Luxe Bridal down in Eagan. They have dresses in plus size, so we just pinched them down for my smaller sized sisters. It worked better because all the girls got to try something on. And a place like that is more aware of how things like bigger boobs are going to affect the dresses.

Storytime: We went to Dena Marie in Roseville as the first place to look because they said they had a variety of sizes. They had some, but not enough in all styles so my smaller sisters mostly tried on the dresses. We picked one we like. Then we went to Luxe just to look around (and see my dress). The lady there told us the dress we had picked might be problematic because designers don't size up the boob area for larger sizes. Either my friend might not have coverage or it would look strange on her. The shop lady might have been giving us the runaround, but it was not a chance we were willing to take. And I have experienced that with dresses at places like Old Navy, they do not size up the boob areas on many dresses so my options are all the cleavage, or weird line across the middle of my boobs. 

Tl;dr: We liked shopping at Luxe because we got a good idea of what it would look like on everyone. DB would probably be able to offer the same thing.
  • Options
    I don't think the Wedding Shoppe charges extra for plus size.  My future SIL ordered a plus size dress and it's the exact same price as a size 0
  • Options
    I'm not even plus-sized and I still can't usually find my size in most bridal stores. Most places just carry one size sample (usually a 6 or 8) and if you aren't one of those it's either too big or too small.

Also, I heard JJ's house was a scam.
  • Options
    sjf2715 said:

I'm not even plus-sized and I still can't usually find my size in most bridal stores. Most places just carry one size sample (usually a 6 or 8) and if you aren't one of those it's either too big or too small.

Also, I heard JJ's house was a scam.

I've ordered from JJ's - not a scam and had really good service/quick shipping...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards