Wedding Etiquette Forum

Venue etiquette vent

bizzy592bizzy592 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited April 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
So, we're starting to visit venues, hoping to have one picked in the next 2 weeks for a June 2016 wedding. Most venues I've spoken with have been lovely, professional, and encouraging. With that said, I've just spent half an hour on the phone with our 'safety' venue (guaranteed availability, lowest price point, on-site accommodations for all guests), and I just feel slimy now.

I entered the conversation asking that they email over their basic information, and asking to book a tour in two weeks, when we'll be in town. This awful woman spent the next 30 minutes sizing me up, to see if I was worth her time. Not only in terms of how many guests would be staying there, but what our budget was like for various components, which neighborhood we live in, and whether any of our guests might be people 'she would know of' (?!?!?).

Also - while not quite as rude as all of that, her response to a question about catering bothered me more. The venue website clearly stated that outside caterers may be used, but when I asked whether any certification would be required for an out-of-state (very high-end) caterer, she balked, and said that only their preferred caterer would be permitted. Her reasoning was that guests would assume that dinner was provided by the venue, and, if not up to par, would lead to negative feedback. So, what - I'm capable of choosing a venue, but not a quality caterer? She also told me not to believe what I read on TK and other websites, but to get all venue info directly from the source. I told her where I'd read it on her own website said, and she said 'thank you for calling', then hung up.

Perhaps I'm jaded by the fact that other venues and vendors have been so over-the-top accommodating, and full of the excitement for our wedding - which, I get, is a sales pitch to brides who have drunk the wedding industry koolaid. But frankly, I'm not expecting to be treated like a princess. I just expect people to have manners - especially those who work in the hospitality industry.

Edited because I cannot spell for the life of me.

Re: Venue etiquette vent

• Whoa, she hung up on you?? Yeah, bye. I refuse to give people like that my money.

Formerly martha1818

• Wow, that is beyond rude and disgusting. I would leave a scathing review on TK, and Yelp. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I'd write a letter to the owner, assuming it isn't her, explaining that this is why you will not be using them. I'd also put this review up all over and let people know how I had been treated.

If I were a business owner, I'd want to know that someone was representing my business that way. 
  • Yeah, scratch her venue off your list and write a factual review to be published/posted where people likely to be considering her venue will see it.
  • Writing one as we speak...
  • I would say that venue went from being on your "Safety List" to being on the "No Freaking Way" list.

People are crazy.
  • I'd be writing a letter to management too.

That said, I can understand why they'd require outside vendors to be on their approved list but she needs to fact check their website or at least be nice about explaining why it's wrong. 
  • Agree that it is rude behavior, esp that she hung up on you

HOWEVER, I don't think "preferred caterers" is unhead of. Many venues have that for the reasons she explained. that is actually rather common in my neck of the woods
  • I love how some people think that if you just hang up on someone that it won't just create a bigger problem for you. 

She could have spared herself bad reviews online and possibly earned your business if she had just been patient and polite. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Having preferred caterers is fine. Being exceptionally rude to people because the wrong information is posted ON YOUR OWN WEBSITE is not. You have definitely not drunk the kool-aid, OP. Her customer service is piss poor no matter the industry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had a similar situation when choosing a venue and one of the venues lost my business because of their behavior. One of the things they had the audacity of saying was "we do a lot of very important events for a lot of very important people. So, if you really want a classy, elegant wedding with us, you'll have to let us know soon because we don't have time to wait on potential customers when others are ready to book us immediately". Of course, what the rep said is true, a venue can't wait forever, but the delivery of that message was, IMO, condescending and rude.

The venue you mentioned does not seem very accommodating and I would not accept the woman's behavior towards you. Wedding planning logistics is stressful enough as it is. You don't need rude behavior on top of that. See if you can go with another venue instead.
  • If I had an encounter like that - they wouldn't be able to pay me to use their place/service. That is ridiculously horrible customer service.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• She's worried about negative feedback? This seems like a good time for some well-deserved feedback for that particular venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards