Not Engaged Yet

Five wedding staples to skip- article from US News

Many of you here are planning your wedding so I thought I would post this article for you from US News to give you a chuckle on this lovely Friday! :)

http://money.usnews.com/money/the-frugal-shopper/2015/04/10/five-wedding-staples-to-skip

For those of you who are curious but don't want to click on the link, here is the breakdown:

The article is about the 5 wedding staples to skip which are:

1-Engagement ring

2-Expensive wedding gown

3-Paper

4-Pre-wedding events

5-Gifts

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 

Re: Five wedding staples to skip- article from US News

• So basically it is saying to just elope. 
  • Yes but better skip the ring too
  • Does anyone actually use the "3 months' salary" rule anymore?  I mean, sure, it's a great thought, but I feel like 3 months' salary is a LOT of money, and reasonable people don't actually spend that kind of money.

I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm not opposed to digital invitations. I wouldn't use it for a black-tie wedding but I'm all for saving paper and saving money. A facebook event for your wedding invites is tacky though.

This article is kind of ridiculous though. The engagement is no more necessary than a wedding dress so why so no ring altogether but just budget on the dress? It's just personal opinion based on what people prioritize in life. All you need to get married is money for the license. Literally everything else is unnecessary.

• 3 months is ridiculous! Let's say your BF made $30k a year, that's a $7500 ring! Granted that's gross and not net salary but still....ridiculous! Spend what you can afford.
  • natswildnatswild member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    The 3 months rule is insane.  If we had followed that, FI would have needed to get me a $30,000 ring.  NFW.  Together we chose a bridal set that was on sale for $1,000.  That's what I was totally happy with.
    BTW, he loves seeing the ring on me, comments about it a lot, especially when we're out for dinner and it looks super sparkly.  I found a dress that was discontinued, so was a reasonable price (for me).

We will be going with paper invitations, because I think it fits the occasion more.
    Gifts-we'll be happy with any we receive, but we'll be just as happy to see our guests, as most of them are OOT-mostly from Ontario east to Nova Scotia, and our wedding will be in British Columbia.

anyone know how to change the ticker?  we've postponed to May 21, 2016
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm fine with skipping paper invitations. I think that as digital invitations become more common and less old-school clip-arty, it'll become more acceptable to use digital invitations for formal events. "It's just not formal enough" isn't a compelling argument. That being said, there are plenty of ways to save money on paper invitations.

I think "gifts" doesn't work as the last bullet point because that's not a cost-saving measure that you can take as a person getting married, so ... come on, there are plenty of other things that could be included (like DECOR).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @natswild Where in BC are you getting married?
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @kaitlynmichelle, I'm getting married in my hometown of Nelson, BC.  So looking forward to it, even though we had to postpone to next May.  Having the ceremony on the Streetcar 23, and reception at the Rod and Gun club (there's an amazing set of falls on the property right behind the club.)  There's also a really cute pirate ship that we may see if we can do photos on-It looks a lot like the black pearl, but the ship is probably only 30-40 feet long.
  • @natswild That sounds fantastic!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • thanks!  just hoping the next year goes quickly....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards