Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Lesbian cousin as MOH? Help

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma and don't know what to do. I got engaged in January and I'm tentatively getting married next June. I haven't chosen my bridal party partly because I don't have a definite date as well as being unsure as to how large the wedding will be. I'm almost certain though that I want my cousin as my maid of honor. The only problem is she's a very masculine looking female, to the point that she does not correct people in public when they call her "he" or "sir" etc. The fact that she won't wear a dress is not an issue to me. The fact is do I call her "maid of honour" when her outward exterior does not show female? I don't want to offend her by calling her my "best man" and I don't like the sound of "person of honor". Has anyone seen this situation before or have any suggestions? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Lesbian cousin as MOH? Help

• Options
    Oh her appearance doesn't bother me in the least. She is not fully transgender but when she introduces herself she says her name is "Kris" instead of "Kristen" and has said before that she prefers when people think she's a guy because it makes her life easier
  • Options
    Thanks Daria, this may be the best route to go. :)
  • Options
       I would just ask her. If you are close enough to her to ask her to stand up next to you, you are probably close enough to ask without offending. 
  • Options
    Fairyjen1 said:

I would just ask her. If you are close enough to her to ask her to stand up next to you, you are probably close enough to ask without offending. 

I agree! Ask what term/title your cousin would prefer.
  • Options

When I saw the title of this thread, I was so worried. This is not nearly the shitshow I expected. 

@MagicInk is wise. Listen to her.
    Ditto.

• Options
    I'd ask her what she prefers.
  • Options
    Ask what she prefers. 

My sister is very much a traditional looking female who is married. She HATES the word "matron" so she asked if she could be the "maid of honor" instead. Just do what makes your most honored attendant comfortable. 
  • Options
    Just ask her what she wants to be called. I'm assuming you're close enough that you could just ask what she prefers. No chance of offending by doing it this way. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards