Snarky Brides

I really appreciate the snark here and would like some feedback on my plans!

Hi kindred (snarky) spirits! I am loving reading through these threads and I feel like most of you have the same sorts of values as I do in terms of what makes a well hosted wedding reception.

I have only been to 2 weddings in my life and one was amazing, one was terrible. I haven't have a lot to go on as I have been planning, my mother is not interested in weddings at all, my FH has opinions on certain points but neither of us are well heeled in the etiquette department.

So, I submit to you my wedding plans, please let me know if I am inadvertently creating any etiquette faux-pas.

Our wedding is on a Saturday in late June in Ontario (Canada). Guest list is approx 90 people, budget around $40,000 (will probably come in <$30,000, but room to spend more if needed).

Venue is the grounds of a historic mansion, ceremony will be outside, reception inside the 'coach house' building which has lighting, a kitchen, A/C and bathrooms. The venue is about 30 minutes from the town where we live/nearest hotels.

His family and friends are largely flying in from BC, mine are from Ontario and the Northeastern US. about 60% of guests are OOT. We have blocked off hotel rooms in a hotel in our town and have a shuttle service to take guests to/from the venue. We are even footing the bill for some of FH's friends hotel rooms, as it is an expensive trip for them and we really wanted people to be able to come. This was done on a one-to-one basis, i.e. other guests don't know that we are paying for some guests hotel rooms.

We are doing a first look and all family photos before the ceremony. Shuttles will leave town at 3:15 and arrive approx 3:45 (buffer built in). Invite time is 4pm, some local people may drive themselves. We will have water, iced tea and snow cones as people arrive (outside, average temp 27 celcius, sunny, I hope.) We have a tent set up on the grounds as well as a rain plan. There will be some pinic tables and couches to sit. Ceremony will start at 4:15. We have 1-2 rows of chairs for family/older guests BUT the majority of people would have to stand for the ceremony - is this terrible? Ceremony should run <10 minutes (the whole thing is 2 pages typed).

After the ceremony, cocktail hour starts immediately in the same space (garden). We will have a hosted bar with bar rail, wine, beer, and some specialty cocktails. FH and I will *not* be taking photos during this time, but rather try to use it as an extended receiving line where we go around and try to say hi/thank/hug everyone. There would be no other entertainment during this hour, just the bar and some passed hors'ouerves. After 60-75 minutes, we will ask people to move inside. Cake cutting will happen before dinner. Dinner (5 course chef's tasting menu with wine pairings) will start around 6, with toasts between courses (strict max 5 minutes talking time).

After dinner FH and I will leave for about 30 minutes for sunset photos (I am hoping guests will be ok having tea/coffee and chatting during this time), then come back and do our first dance and open the dance floor.

At 10pm there will be a snack bar and specialty (alcoholic) coffee bar. The first shuttle will leave around 10:30 and there will be a shuttle leaving every 30-45 minutes after that until 1am (when a sedan will also come to pick us up).

We made a small registry at myregistry.com but we know that for most of our guests, they went to a lot of expense to make it so I am not expecting very much in way of gifts beyond their time.

Things I am worried about - 

Standing ceremony, even if only for 10 minutes, my FH really wants it to be standing as it is more 'casual' I am afraid it is rude.

Hour+ cocktail hour without entertainment (just me and FH making the rounds) - maybe yard games or something?

Shuttles  - leaving town at 3pm when the hotel check in is not until 3pm - I have asked them to accommodate early check ins as much as possible, and I am hoping most OOT guests would arrive on Friday night. Also, on the way back, shuttles not leaving until 10:30, is this too late (would get back to hotel at 11pm).

Any thoughts/other glaring problems?

Re: I really appreciate the snark here and would like some feedback on my plans!

• japlanet said:

Hi kindred (snarky) spirits! I am loving reading through these threads and I feel like most of you have the same sorts of values as I do in terms of what makes a well hosted wedding reception.

I have only been to 2 weddings in my life and one was amazing, one was terrible. I haven't have a lot to go on as I have been planning, my mother is not interested in weddings at all, my FH has opinions on certain points but neither of us are well heeled in the etiquette department.

So, I submit to you my wedding plans, please let me know if I am inadvertently creating any etiquette faux-pas.

Our wedding is on a Saturday in late June in Ontario (Canada). Guest list is approx 90 people, budget around $40,000 (will probably come in <$30,000, but room to spend more if needed).

Venue is the grounds of a historic mansion, ceremony will be outside, reception inside the 'coach house' building which has lighting, a kitchen, A/C and bathrooms. The venue is about 30 minutes from the town where we live/nearest hotels.

His family and friends are largely flying in from BC, mine are from Ontario and the Northeastern US. about 60% of guests are OOT. We have blocked off hotel rooms in a hotel in our town and have a shuttle service to take guests to/from the venue. We are even footing the bill for some of FH's friends hotel rooms, as it is an expensive trip for them and we really wanted people to be able to come. This was done on a one-to-one basis, i.e. other guests don't know that we are paying for some guests hotel rooms.

We are doing a first look and all family photos before the ceremony. Shuttles will leave town at 3:15 and arrive approx 3:45 (buffer built in). Invite time is 4pm, some local people may drive themselves. We will have water, iced tea and snow cones as people arrive (outside, average temp 27 celcius, sunny, I hope.) We have a tent set up on the grounds as well as a rain plan. There will be some pinic tables and couches to sit. Ceremony will start at 4:15. We have 1-2 rows of chairs for family/older guests BUT the majority of people would have to stand for the ceremony - is this terrible? Ceremony should run <10 minutes (the whole thing is 2 pages typed).

After the ceremony, cocktail hour starts immediately in the same space (garden). We will have a hosted bar with bar rail, wine, beer, and some specialty cocktails. FH and I will *not* be taking photos during this time, but rather try to use it as an extended receiving line where we go around and try to say hi/thank/hug everyone. There would be no other entertainment during this hour, just the bar and some passed hors'ouerves. After 60-75 minutes, we will ask people to move inside. Cake cutting will happen before dinner. Dinner (5 course chef's tasting menu with wine pairings) will start around 6, with toasts between courses (strict max 5 minutes talking time).

After dinner FH and I will leave for about 30 minutes for sunset photos (I am hoping guests will be ok having tea/coffee and chatting during this time), then come back and do our first dance and open the dance floor.

At 10pm there will be a snack bar and specialty (alcoholic) coffee bar. The first shuttle will leave around 10:30 and there will be a shuttle leaving every 30-45 minutes after that until 1am (when a sedan will also come to pick us up).

We made a small registry at myregistry.com but we know that for most of our guests, they went to a lot of expense to make it so I am not expecting very much in way of gifts beyond their time.

Standing ceremony, even if only for 10 minutes, my FH really wants it to be standing as it is more 'casual' I am afraid it is rude.

Hour+ cocktail hour without entertainment (just me and FH making the rounds) - maybe yard games or something?

Shuttles  - leaving town at 3pm when the hotel check in is not until 3pm - I have asked them to accommodate early check ins as much as possible, and I am hoping most OOT guests would arrive on Friday night. Also, on the way back, shuttles not leaving until 10:30, is this too late (would get back to hotel at 11pm).

I'm concerned about the lack of seats. I'm a firm believer of every butt needs a seat.
  • You absolutely need a chair for every butt. You're right that it is rude. Guests can still sit and be casual.

That's the biggest issue I saw.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Everything other than standing during the ceremony seems fine to me. I would not want to stand during the whole ceremony no matter how short it is.

I didn't see anything about music. Will you have music of some kind? DJ, band? iPod? I don't think you need entertainment per se, but music would be good. 

Although yard games are always fun if you can swing that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • japlanet said:

You are having a wedding ceremony in Southern Ontario in June? Outside? It may be 27, but with humidity it could get up to 40, (110 for the Americans with 80-90% humidity). You need to provide chairs for all of your guests. It will be hot as hell!
  • To me, standing is more formal (i.e. you're not worthy to sit in our presence, so we didn't get you a chair). Casual is sitting.
  • No matter how long your ceremony is, you need a seat for every butt- this is non-negotiable. This goes for cocktail hour too.

Formerly martha1818

• Ok thanks guys! I agree that I would prefer to have ceremony seats for everyone, I will bring this up again with FH.

His argument in the past has been that it would take longer for everyone to get a seat than the ceremony would take so what is the point. Also he has a lot of social anxiety so to him, having people sit and watch him is more anxiety provoking (he feels 'on display') then having a bunch of people standing around like a group of friends talking.
  • The only problems I foresee, is yes you need chairs at the ceremony, and your invitation and ceremony start time needs to be the same.  If I read you timeline correctly you will have guests arriving at 3:45 for a 4:15 ceremony... but 4pm on the invitation. What will the have to do for the 30 mins? If you have no chairs you are looking at closer to 45 mins of standing, that is not acceptable and just plain rude to your guests.   

• We have pinic tables, couches in the shade, water, ice tea and snow cones from 3:30-4:15. I want to give a little buffer because we are in an out of the way spot so I don't want to run the risk of the shuttle full of guests arriving at 3:55 and everyone rushing to get oriented for the ceremony.
  • japlanet said:

We have pinic tables, couches in the shade, water, ice tea and snow cones from 3:30-4:15. I want to give a little buffer because we are in an out of the way spot so I don't want to run the risk of the shuttle full of guests arriving at 3:55 and everyone rushing to get oriented for the ceremony.

Where are you getting married? Are they used to doing weddings? Are you going to have ushers?

I only ask because your venue should be able to assist you to make sure that you have chairs for everyone, especially if it's as hot as it normally is at that time of the year.
  • It is a national historic site so they rent us the space, nothing else. I can easily rent chairs, it's just a matter of hiring staff to set them up/take them down etc.
  • Wait, hold up: your ceremony actually starts at 4:15 but you're telling people to arrive at 4?
  • japlanet said:

It is a national historic site so they rent us the space, nothing else. I can easily rent chairs, it's just a matter of hiring staff to set them up/take them down etc.

Are you getting married at Dundurn Castle? Because they will do all the set-up and take down for you. I looked into that site for my wedding. It's also very hilly. 
  • Um, if your guests are likely to arrive at 3:45 and your ceremony doesn't even start until 4:15, that's a pretty brutal amount of time to have to hang out in those temps (and likely that humidity, if I know southern Ontario.) Especially with no ceremony chairs. That sounds like a hot, sweaty mess and I'd probably be sunburnt and annoyed about it, frankly. Not to mention FI in a suit jacket. He'd be ready to die on the spot. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really agree that chairs are necessary, maybe some benches with linens over them? As far as the yard games FH and I are definitely doing something similar, I think it lightens the vibe and gets people interacting with each other. Most of our guests are OOT as well. We are doing giant jenga, giant connect 4, ladder golf, and corn hole. I just want people to socialize. 
  • Thanks everyone for the thoughts. We are not at Dundurn castle, but we are by the water so I am hoping that helps with the temperatures. There is lots of shade and people can always go inside the reception hall pre-ceremony if needed. I will argue for chairs for the ceremony and we can plan to move the ceremony up to 4/4:05 assuming the shuttle gets in prior to 4.
  • japlanet said:

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. We are not at Dundurn castle, but we are by the water so I am hoping that helps with the temperatures. There is lots of shade and people can always go inside the reception hall pre-ceremony if needed. I will argue for chairs for the ceremony and we can plan to move the ceremony up to 4/4:05 assuming the shuttle gets in prior to 4.

Talk to your venue, if they do a lot of weddings, they will have a configuration for outdoor ceremonies and be able to help you with the herding of your guests to the area. I went to a wedding at the end of May in Southern Ontario by the water and it was bloody hot. It was only 24 degrees with minimal humidity, keep that in mind too that you may have to switch out your outdoor ceremony to indoor if there is a hot weather warning in the area.
  • I do agree that you shouldn't tell people the ceremony is at 4 when it's actually 4:15. That's just going to make it look like you're running late. You are smart to have a time buffer, but I'd only push the ceremony back if it turns out the shuttle really is running behind.

Also, I love that you're going to have drinks and snow cones for your outdoor ceremony. I've been to so many uncomfortably hot weddings. I would have loved to sit under the shade with a glass of water while we waited for the bride to arrive. Definite thumbs up here.
  • Yes, you need chairs.

Please plan to start on time even if you have to bump it a few minutes for the shuttle.

But I'd like to weigh in on the sunset photos before you open up the dance floor.  Can you do your first dance, invite others to dance, THEN leave for your sunset photos while people are boogying?  I feel like asking people to stand around drinking coffee while you take your pictures, and not opening the dance floor until afterwards seems like a waste of time.  Duck out while people are dancing.
  • adk19 said:

Yes, you need chairs.

Please plan to start on time even if you have to bump it a few minutes for the shuttle.

But I'd like to weigh in on the sunset photos before you open up the dance floor.  Can you do your first dance, invite others to dance, THEN leave for your sunset photos while people are boogying?  I feel like asking people to stand around drinking coffee while you take your pictures, and not opening the dance floor until afterwards seems like a waste of time.  Duck out while people are dancing.
    I thought about doing it both ways - they both have drawbacks, I don't want to 'get the party started' then immediately bail (would have to leave after 1-2 songs so we don't miss the sun going down), I was thinking that might kill the mood. Really I was thinking we would get our desserts first, finish and then do the photos while the guests are finishing dessert and having coffee.
  • japlanet said:

adk19 said:

Yes, you need chairs.

I thought about doing it both ways - they both have drawbacks, I don't want to 'get the party started' then immediately bail (would have to leave after 1-2 songs so we don't miss the sun going down), I was thinking that might kill the mood. Really I was thinking we would get our desserts first, finish and then do the photos while the guests are finishing dessert and having coffee.
    I seriously doubt it would kill your mood, you'd be getting back from taking gorgeous sunset photos.  And it probably wouldn't kill your guests's mood since I doubt they'd even realize you were gone.  "We're just gonna duck out for a quick second to take a couple pictures while the sky is pretty and the sun is going down.  We'll be back for the next song."  I just feel like you should leave your guests with something to do if you're going to ditch them for a few minutes.
  • adk19 said:

japlanet said:

adk19 said:

Yes, you need chairs.

I seriously doubt it would kill your mood, you'd be getting back from taking gorgeous sunset photos.  And it probably wouldn't kill your guests's mood since I doubt they'd even realize you were gone.  "We're just gonna duck out for a quick second to take a couple pictures while the sky is pretty and the sun is going down.  We'll be back for the next song."  I just feel like you should leave your guests with something to do if you're going to ditch them for a few minutes.
    This. We did our sunset pictures after the first dance and stuff. No one noticed. Hell, no one noticed either time I left to go change my clothes - they were too busy drinking, dancing, and enjoying the hell out of the party!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Don't forget that the month of June has some of the longest days of the year. I don't think you will miss the sunset even if you dance for a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards