Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Being married feels different.

Does anybody else feel a difference in being married vs. single/engaged? I feel more of a sense of responsibility for this other human being now. It's kind of like dating and falling in love all over again. I feel more like an adult being in the married club, knowing that this is my partner for the rest of my life.

Or am I still on cloud 9 from the wedding?

Re: Being married feels different.

• Honestly.. I feel more relaxed in some aspects.  in others like for instance (keeping up on the housework) I feel overwhelmed holding a full time job and keeping up with house stuff..  I also feel like a bad wife when i don't have dinner on the table.. who knows i'm one of those old fashioned girls who will be keeping the house up... although he still does his own laundry.. not taken over everything  yet.  (please don't judge)

• Honestly.. I feel more relaxed in some aspects.  in others like for instance (keeping up on the housework) I feel overwhelmed holding a full time job and keeping up with house stuff..  I also feel like a bad wife when i don't have dinner on the table.. who knows i'm one of those old fashioned girls who will be keeping the house up... although he still does his own laundry.. not taken over everything  yet.  (please don't judge)

Oh man I feel the same way! We've been living in our home together for over a year and a half and since the wedding and a little bit before I'm finding it hard to keep up with house stuff! I also started a new job in late March where i went from a 10 min commute to an hour+ commute. Some days I just dont want to cook when I get home! I don't want to do anything! I do try to do a lot of make ahead meals on Sunday and then freeze them. Its just not fun!

• Thankfully the drive to work is short.  Last week i said tag team your it for dinner... we had papa johns LOL... whatever i was just thankful i didn't have to make dinner :)
  • Our relationship doesn't feel any different, and day to day doesn't feel different. But I love love love saying "my husband" and hearing him say "my wife". So far, that's the only thing that feels different. 
    This!

I really feel pride that nothing has changed - as we promised each other that it's always just him and I against the world and nothing more complicated than that. We still eat hotdogs and macaroni once a week for dinner like small children, we still pay our bills the same way, we still don't clean enough, drink too much and live the same lives we have for the last 2-1/2 years. I think that's our secret honestly.

But I love calling him my husband. :-) And he loves saying "Hey Mrs. Maley!"
  • We didn't live together before we were married, so we've had a lot to get used to.  I ADORE being married.  I feel more responsible, for sure, and I love doing 'wiferly' things like taking care of the house and making dinner as often as I can (I work shift work).  We have a good partnership, though - he hates bathrooms, and I hate floors, so we do some dividing.  And he made dinner the first few nights after we got married.

We've only been married a month.  But it feels like we've gotten away with some huge, cosmic prank - like we shouldn't be allowed to be this happy, and we're totally pulling one over on everyone.  It's a lot of fun.  And I love calling him my husband and hearing him say wife :)

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • elleC14elleC14 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2014
    It totally does feel different and I don't really know why. I feel more in love, but also a little bit more irritable, like suddenly every quirk has been reframed as "It's going to be like this for the REST of your LIFE!!" So I'm more sensitive than I was before about us being respectful of each other, sharing responsibilities around the house, etc. I'm sure this will wear off after a bit and he'll be happy when it does. :) 

But overall, I would say it feels new again. I know that's weird... We've been together 7 years and living together for almost 4, and the only thing that's changed is we have fancier dishes and rings. But it feels new somehow. Sometimes I even feel a little nervous, but it's that good kind of nervous you get at the beginning of a new relationship. The time we spend together feels a little bit more special. And I feel very proud of him; I catch myself hoping strangers will notice that we are married (not just together), especially as we prep for the holidays. It's our first year in a house so it was fun to decorate together. 

Basically, yes, it feels different.
  • We've been married now for just over a year. The day to day isn't really any different, but there is this sense of something "more". Like I *know* it's him and me against the world. We live away from our families and sometimes I get upset by this, and recently there was something my dad did that upset me (me and my dad are uber close- I've always been a daddy's girl, so I feel hurt by it), but I've had peace in knowing my HUSBAND will be my rock and he will always be my family too. 

I also love the use of husband/wife. 
  • Married nine days ago and absolutely feel different. Like another poster said, I feel infinitely more responsible for my husband's well-being and happiness. I am still on cloud nine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards