DIY Wedding Forum

Best place to purchase vases for centerpieces?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to DIY my wedding centerpieces. I really love the look of the bowl-like vases like in the picture below. Has anyone found a website or place that sells vases like this or similar. I'm looking for something more than just the typical clear glass vase, but at a good price!

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Best place to purchase vases for centerpieces?

• Ok, crazy idea since this is a diy page, I'm going to suggest it. Find some bowls that you like, you might find some at the dollar store. Then find some wine glasses and put them upside down. Then use some silicone glue and glue the bottom of the wine glass to the bottom of the bowl. Then if you want you can stick a silk flower (or something else) in the wine glass to add even more to the look. But if you can find the wide mouth champagne glasses instead, people properly won't even realize you glued a glass to a bowl.
  • Erikan73 said:

Ok, crazy idea since this is a diy page, I'm going to suggest it. Find some bowls that you like, you might find some at the dollar store. Then find some wine glasses and put them upside down. Then use some silicone glue and glue the bottom of the wine glass to the bottom of the bowl. Then if you want you can stick a silk flower (or something else) in the wine glass to add even more to the look. But if you can find the wide mouth champagne glasses instead, people properly won't even realize you glued a glass to a bowl.

I have to say, I HATEHATEHATE the upside down wine glass thing. I wish it was not a thing. They look so stupid to me.

ANYWAY, you COULD glue a candlestick to a bowl for somewhat of that look without having the (coughdumb) wine glass part remaining at the bottom. In my explorations though, I didn't see preexisting flower bowls like that.

My vases were combination dollar store and thrift stores.

• Erikan73 said:

Ok, crazy idea since this is a diy page, I'm going to suggest it. Find some bowls that you like, you might find some at the dollar store. Then find some wine glasses and put them upside down. Then use some silicone glue and glue the bottom of the wine glass to the bottom of the bowl. Then if you want you can stick a silk flower (or something else) in the wine glass to add even more to the look. But if you can find the wide mouth champagne glasses instead, people properly won't even realize you glued a glass to a bowl.

I've seen the same idea but where the base was a candlestick holder 

Daisypath Wedding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Floral supply - purchase these in bulk...  Otherwise - google "wholesale silver pedestal candy dish" and you should be able to find options...
  • You can apparently purchase those exact ones through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A3735131%2Cp_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A3254112011

Pretty pricey though.
  • Is that bowl a silver mercury glass?  I agree with others, you should try the candlestick as a base and find a cheap glass bowl (Dollar Tree is a fantastic resource, lots of options online if you can't find anything in store) to place on top.  I'm pretty sure you can get kits to make a mercury glass look at any hobby/craft store.
  • I wanted milk glass vases for my reception, so I went to thrift stores and flea markets and found really good stuff for a really good price (for some of them I only paid 25 cents, and none were more than a few dollars). I would start searching those types of places if I were you, just to see what might be out there, although I doubt you'll find tons of things that are exactly like the photo you posted. 

I don't know how well it would turn out, but it seems inexpensive/easy enough to give it a shot if you wanted to go the route of bowls on candle sticks (and I would also recommend thrift stores to find the bowls and candle sticks) 
  • I have to agree, the candlestick idea is better then my wine glass idea. And if you want them silver or another color, you can lightly sand them & then spray paint them whatever color you want. They even have some great metallic spray paints out there now
  • Thanks! I'll look into these ideas 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Websites selling the bowl-type vase that you posted a picture of often call them compotes. Here is a good source for mercury glass compotes.
  • the dollar store is always a good place to look. also the website 
    http://www.save-on-crafts.com might have something similar to what your looking for. Good luck!
  • edited June 2015
    I bought the vases for my centerpieces from the dollar store although I don't remember seeing any there that looked quite like what you're talking about. I would also recommend www.orientaltrading.com. I've gotten a lot of my best stuff for the wedding from them and they're very reasonably priced.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards