Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Timeline

Hi all - 

Just curious for those planning or those who have been to many weddings... what does the reception timeline usually look like (between speeches, food, and dances)? I'm sure my coordinator will help me work through this but I just wanted to go in with some ideas of my own too. I don't want things to drag at the tables for too long because I'm very aware of the limited time we have and how quick it will all pass by. 
We're planning on only 2 courses, salad and entree, then cake will be at a serving station. We have 3 toasts, both my sisters are my MOHs, and then the BM speech. We have two parent dances.
Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Re: Reception Timeline

• aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2015
    Hi!

From what I have seen most do toasts during the salad course. And when the word toast is used it is generally appreciated if it is a true toast 30sec-1min MAX. No matter how much I love the couple I do not want to sit through 15 min of speeches. (Not meant to be snarky just the general guideline you will see on this site.)

So my FI and I are doing the following:

6:00-6:30 - Ceremony
    6:30-7:15 - Cocktail hour/Wedding party pics
    7:15 - Bride/Groom announced - walk in go straight to dance floor
    7:16 - First dance starts
    7:19 - Bride dance with father
    7:23 - Groom dance with mother
    7:27 - Bride and Groom grab food and tables start being released to get food
    7:45 - Bride and Groom start table visits
    8:45 - Table visits done with. Cut cake (announcement made but music does not stop) 
    8:55 - All done. Time to party

For your situations I would say toasts would be at 7:30 or whenever everyone gets salad served. You two might not be able to be eating while they are toasting bc you will be smiling/laughing/looking lovingly at each other and the speaker but at least your guests can dig in some.

I am sure you will get lots of ideas on here. I just suggest this as a way to group as much stuff together as possible in the shortest amount of time. Starting/stoping kills the flow and the party vibe.

Good luck! I am sure it will all turn out wonderfully!
  • Here is my timeline

4:00 - 5:00 cocktail hour
    5:00 - 5:10 guests get in their seats
    5:15 (or Whenever the guests were all settled) DJ announced Bride and Groom entrance
    5:20 Dinner service begins
    6:30 Cake was cut (some people were still eating dinner at this time but we wanted it available as soon as dinner was done).
    6:45 toasts (about 5 min total)
    7:00 first dance immediately followed by father/daughter and mother son dances
    7:15i (ish)

If you have a good DJ or announcer/coordinator (we did), s/he'll really help keep the flow of everything moving. We weren't like "oh it's 6:30 pm, it's time for the cake" it was more like "oh, everyone is winding down with their dinner, let's start serving the cake the cake." So I'm not 100% sure we followed the timeline precisely on the day of.

• Thanks for the tips!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards