Just Engaged and Proposals

Got engaged on Thursday at Central Park

Hi! I am new to this community. I am a 25 year old student, graduating senior majoring in graphic design...my boyfriend of 6 years and 1 month proposed at Central Park in NYC (we had a trip for my spring break, we are from the Sacramento area)

I'll copy and paste how he did it from my blog:

After we left the American Museum of Natural History (it closed at 5:45) we decided to sit down for a bit because our feet were in pain from all of the walking. But he kept saying, "I still want to walk around to explore." So we did. Even though we would take breaks and sit on benches a lot, he kept saying he wanted to still walk around. And we walked down paths and bridges over the water and overlooking the city skyscrapers. The rain made the air feel so fresh and a lot warmer. He kept getting annoyed saying, "there's too many people here"  and kept looking for a spot to sit down. We eventually found a bench in a corner near Bow Bridge. We sat on the bench talking about the future and how much we loved each other. I thought it was just our usual talk. Honestly, ever since we booked the trip I was hoping he was going to propose but I would've been ok if I he didn't. At least I told myself so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I was going back and forth the whole time wondering if he was going to or not. So after we rested for a bit, he said, "lets get up now" so we did. As we stood, he then goes, "oh by the way..." then he got down on one knee with the ring in the box. He asked really fast and I freaked out and said, "OH MY GOSH!!!" really loud! Then yeah, that's our story :)

Even though we were near Bow Bridge (a really popular proposal spot), he didn't ask me there because he knew that I didn't want it in front of anyone. I'm not the type of person who likes the spotlight. So those viral video proposals are out of the question for me. So that was why he didn't want me to check his phone last week! He got an email from James Allen (where he got the ring) about a survey.

We are planning for a 2 year engagement so we can save up and I can find a job and really build my career. I'm so excited!!!

Re: Got engaged on Thursday at Central Park

• Congrats on your engagement! That sounds like it was the perfect proposal for you. I'm the same way--FI proposed to me on the beach at sunset when there was no one in the immediate vicinity because we don't like to make a show. It was perfect.

Happy wedding planning!

-From a SF-area neighbor :)
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love romantic proposals and this was definitely very romantic. Congratulations! I am sure you are more than excited. What did your family say?
  • What a wonderful memory of a New York proposal! Your guy has taste and style! Congratulations!
  • Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks so much everyone! He is super romantic. When we first started dating 6 years ago, he waited for me for a few hours while I was out with my friends, and when I came home I found a bag of Hot Cheetos and a teddy bear on my doorstep, and there he was and played "True Love Waits" by Radiohead on his guitar. I am so blessed to have him. We're not perfect and we have our ups and downs but we love each other and we have survived many things that would've torn other couples apart. My family is super excited and want to be a part of the planning.
  • This is so awesome to hear!!!  Congratulations!  I also got engaged in Central Park in August.  Beautiful location.  Enjoy and good luck with the planning process!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards