Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do I have to list the man first on the invitation?

I know it is common etiquette to name the man first when addressing wedding invitations. However, what if I'm inviting a girlfriend of mine, plus her boyfriend whom she lives with? I don't want to put "Girlfriend's name and guest" because I know her boyfriend's name and want him to feel welcome. But I feel weird listing his name first, because, honestly, if it weren't for her, I wouldn't be inviting him. So I feel like she deserves being listed first on the invitation...... thoughts?

Best Answers

Re: Do I have to list the man first on the invitation?

• Options
    I did it differently with my invitations. I addressed it to the person I knew better and their significant other, unless I knew they were more traditional. I think my friends preferred it.
  • Options

I did it differently with my invitations. I addressed it to the person I knew better and their significant other, unless I knew they were more traditional. I think my friends preferred it.

I did the same. It just made more sense to me.
  • Options
    And you would never put "and guest" if you know the guy's name.

Ms. Susan Smith
    Mr. Tom Jones
    123 Main St
    Anytown, ST 00010

Where 123 Main street is your girlfriend's address.
  • Options

I did this too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Same here.  I did the opposite when addressing FI's guests if they weren't married--- put the guy first and then the girlfriend next.  Just depended on who we knew better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards