Wedding Woes
Options

Friend being stupid

I have a friend.  We chat every day.  I really like her and I've always admired her for her dedication, determination, and discipline.

She has lost her fucking mind in the past year.  She was at the same job for 9 years.  For various reasons, she left the job and was given a massive separation bonus.  She was in a big city at the time where she owns a condo.  

She bought some POS house with the bonus in Toledo b/c that was "the best thing ever" for remodeling, her dream place, blah, blah, blah.  Realizes she's in over her head in Toledo w/no support system in about four months, ends up donating the house to some charity.  

Moves back to the small town in MO she's from, where she has an astoundingly shitty family.  Seriously, if even half of what is coming out of her mouth is true about how these people treat her, I'd set myself on fire before going back to these people.  

Gets job #1.  Is applying for job #2 that seems like those once in a lifetime job opportunities.  Stresses over it for 3 months until she finally wins it.  Quits job #1, starts job #2.  Hates it, quits w/in a month, moves back to big city.  

Now, is looking for a job again.  For various reasons, still doesn't want to stay in big city.  So, looks at Salt Lake City, "it's the best thing ever," lists reasons.  That was last week. This week, it's FARGO, ND, that's "the best thing ever", lists reasons.

It's exhausting.  I'm done being supportive (this entire process has been a year) and I think she knows it.  Our daily chats have turned into one-liners b/c I can't muster up anything at all.  She needs a serious conversation with someone to do something, though I have no idea what.

Re: Friend being stupid

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Sounds like a corporate counselor might be in order.  They can help direct her professionally and some personally.
  • Options
    I'd be exhausted dealing with this as well.  A corporate counselor may help with career issues.  Do you think she could benefit from a mental health counselor?  From the little information above, it seems like she's floundering for direction in her life in general and could use a professional to help her work through things.
  • Options
    I've suggested to her that I thought she needed some counseling.  She doesn't seem to be too interested in it.  

I've just stepped back from it, just non-committal answers and/or changing the subject when the latest idea comes up.  I want her to be happy; I can't be the fallback she needs/wants anymore.  Part of my problem recently has been too many friends going through too much big life stuff.  And I want to love and support my friends; I also need to take care of my own stuffs.  And they might not be big life changing things; they're still mine and I don't have to rank or feel bad about taking care of it.  

I have to laugh at my own self-validation that tends to fall on my own deaf ears.  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards