Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

CAN I SEE, your hubbys or FH wedding band?

So my FI and I went to go look at Wedding Bands for him yesterday, we were super excited until we got there and my FI realized he really didnt like anything. 

Obviously we are going to look at other places, but he tried on EVERY KIND of ring they had, and nothing "wowed" him. 

Hes not flashy at all, which I love, he's a project manager doing construction - he dresses very simple daily, jeans, plaid shirt, work boots (which i also love haha)... but everything was either too flashy or he didnt like it...

He got frustrated, and we left! We will try again soon - but... Can I see what your guys have? I know that the tungsten bands are really in right now, and he liked them - but didnt love them.. 

I know its hard for him to imagine wearing everyday, he barely wears a watch. I just want him to love what he has, I want him to love wearing it!

Re: CAN I SEE, your hubbys or FH wedding band?

• Options

My husband only wears his ring for "special occasions" he's not a jewelry guy, it doesn't bother me. But his ring is gold plated tungsten one ring. 

Anniversary
  • Options

So my FI and I went to go look at Wedding Bands for him yesterday, we were super excited until we got there and my FI realized he really didnt like anything. 

Obviously we are going to look at other places, but he tried on EVERY KIND of ring they had, and nothing "wowed" him. 

Hes not flashy at all, which I love, he's a project manager doing construction - he dresses very simple daily, jeans, plaid shirt, work boots (which i also love haha)... but everything was either too flashy or he didnt like it...

He got frustrated, and we left! We will try again soon - but... Can I see what your guys have? I know that the tungsten bands are really in right now, and he liked them - but didnt love them.. 

I know its hard for him to imagine wearing everyday, he barely wears a watch. I just want him to love what he has, I want him to love wearing it!

If your H works in construction, he should really not get a tungsten ring. If anyone happens to his hand and the ring gets stuck on, the doctors will have to cut off his finger to get the ring off. Its something about the tungsten material cannot be cut off.

And if you happen to drop a tungsten ring at just the right angle, the ring can shatter.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

If your H works in construction, he should really not get a tungsten ring. If anyone happens to his hand and the ring gets stuck on, the doctors will have to cut off his finger to get the ring off. Its something about the tungsten material cannot be cut off.

And if you happen to drop a tungsten ring at just the right angle, the ring can shatter.

This isn't really true. There are cutters out there for tungsten.  When we were shopping for rings, we were looking into tungsten for H because he's a mechanic. They said they had a machine for cutting tungsten rings off, and they actually bought a second one and donated it to the local hospital.  They said before the hospital had that machine, they would hold the ring tightly in a vise and crank it until it shattered. If you google "tungsten ring removal," the vise method is a popular one for getting them off.

This is basically H's ring. It's been a little over two years, and the hammering is totally gone, and has been for months.  We will not be getting it re-hammered because it just wears off quickly. It just looks like a plain gold band now. It has a lot of dings because he is a mechanic. 

• Options

KatWAG said:

This isn't really true. There are cutters out there for tungsten.  When we were shopping for rings, we were looking into tungsten for H because he's a mechanic. They said they had a machine for cutting tungsten rings off, and they actually bought a second one and donated it to the local hospital.  They said before the hospital had that machine, they would hold the ring tightly in a vise and crank it until it shattered. If you google "tungsten ring removal," the vise method is a popular one for getting them off.

This is basically H's ring. It's been a little over two years, and the hammering is totally gone, and has been for months.  We will not be getting it re-hammered because it just wears off quickly. It just looks like a plain gold band now. It has a lot of dings because he is a mechanic. 

What if a hospital doesn't have a tungsten cutter? Or cant locate the cutter in time? It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    This is the ring that H picked. It is titanium and carbon fiber. Since H is a HVAC installer he never wears it to work because of dealing with some electrical wiring and such.

• Options
    Maggie0829 thats the ONLY ring he "kind of liked" yesterday - 

I think we are going to lean towards that as well! It is a pretty neat ring and fits his laid back style!

KatWAG thank you for the knowledge! Its good to know that it would take a certain kind of machine and your right, if they dont have it you seem SOL... not worth the risk :) 

<3 
  • Options

Check out smaller jewelry stores, not just the chain ones. Sometimes they carry things the chain stores don't or can at least order it. We found my husbands at a local mom/pop store. It's black on the edges with a satin finish silver center.

• Options
    FI wanted something a little different, and went with a wood band from Etsy, similar to #7.  The guy custom makes them and it was like $30!

• Options
    FI wanted something fairly simple, brushed metal. Something that could be both 'dressed up' and 'dressed down'

He alternates between wearing a uniform to work and a flightsuit. (He's a pilot) so he wanted something that went with the formality of a Captains uniform but also didn't look out of place when he was wearing his flightsuit that he wears to more northern locations,

• Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    KatWAG said:

What if a hospital doesn't have a tungsten cutter? Or cant locate the cutter in time? It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

-----BOXES-----

Did you read my entire post, especially the bolded? You crack it off if there's no cutter.

I have never heard of someone having to get their finger cut off in order to get a ring off.  I doubt tungsten rings would be as popular as they are if that happened even 1/10 of the time they got stuck. Google "tungsten ring removal myth."
  • Options
    That's what we were told about tungsten by the jeweler too, but he may either believe the myth or have been trying to upsell...either way we didn't get it. This is fiancé's future wedding band. He didn't want anything too exciting, but it has a darker look to it than white gold. Don't remember any other details about it though...
  • Options
    This is the one FI picked out:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CJandRyanCJandRyan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    We just ordered it last week so it hasn't come in yet but he is really excited to get it! (from Wedgewood Rings - titanium with cocobolo wood)

• Options

This is contradictory. If it's fragile enough to shatter, that's exactly how you get it off your hand.

Ta-daaaa.

This is my H's ring. $35 on Overstock.

• Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015

DH and my rings.

ETA: DH also has a simple cobalt ring with a hammered finish from Kay's Jewelry that originally was his engagment ring, but he still wears it more often then the rock. It's held up really well over the past few years.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    We got FI a Gibeon meteorite band - it's mostly iron and comes from a huge meteorite that crashed into the Namibian desert in prehistory, which FI thinks is amazing and more or less the coolest thing ever. It is covered in this etched pattern called Widmanstatten lines resulting from the super slow cooling of the metal in space.

Mine is plain silver to go with my e-ring.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    If he's in construction and doesn't really like traditional rings, or is worried about being rough on an expensive ring, I'd check out this website. They're silicone and pretty cheap. FI and I are getting them to wear when we go camping or to the gym, etc.

This is the ring I'm ordering for FI. He couldn't really find anything he was crazy about either, but saw this one and loved it.

Edited because the link didn't post.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    My FH chose this one.  It is a Kinekt Gear Ring and if you turn the edges the gears in the middle turn.  He's not a jewelry kind of guy either and this one at least had a cool factor for him.

• Options
    Mens Koa Wood Ring Titanium my FH last name is Wood so he thought it would be funny if he got a wooden ring, but he's a mechanic and didn't want it to break, so we picked out one that was lined with titanium
  • Options

I don't have pics but my hubby works in maintenance so after about 2 months his ring already looked 10 years old, so we bought him a cheap one(I think maybe I got it on ebay..dont remember!) but it was like $30 and he wears that one daily and his actual wedding ring for non work days, etc. It gave him a lot better piece of mind to know if something happens at work, his good expensive actual ring is safe. He always said, "I dread the phone call I'd have to make to you saying my wedding band is down a drain" lol

• Options
    allison09allison09 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2015
    My FI wanted tungsten, and we decided on this one. I love this ring on him! I can't wait to have him wear it!

Future Husbands wedding band
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    My H picked a tungsten band. It looks very similar to this. 

• Options
    My FI has a white gold one.  He wanted a little bling lol  Here it is but it's not a great picture.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    My conservative husband chose a plain, 14K yellow gold band 39 years ago.  He never takes it off.   It looks as good as the day we bought it.  Walmart sells them.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards