Chit Chat

Slut Shaming article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danielle-campoamor/i-wasnt-asking-for-it_b_6984414.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Anyone see this? That principal was so out of line. I'm glad the author's parents stood up to him. 

However, is that an appropriate question for a police officer to ask? Why is it so hard for people to realize what someone wears does not make them responsible for their attack. It's so infuriating.

Re: Slut Shaming article

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danielle-campoamor/i-wasnt-asking-for-it_b_6984414.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Anyone see this? That principal was so out of line. I'm glad the author's parents stood up to him. 

However, is that an appropriate question for a police officer to ask? Why is it so hard for people to realize what someone wears does not make them responsible for their attack. It's so infuriating.

It is an inappropriate question from a basic human decency standpoint.

If a case were to go to court though, the defenses lawyer would bring it up to try and discredit her. Because if only she were wearing a baggy sweatshirt, the accused would have never approached her. Obviously she wanted attention with her outfit.

Ugh. I need a drink.

Anniversary
  • That's horrible.  I feel like I need a drink too.  I don't know why society still thinks that sexual assault is the victims fault.  Is there any other crime to which this applies?
  • Ugh. That was so heartbreaking to read. 
  • As someone who works in law enforcement I can say that this unfortunately is asked too frequently.  It is a culture that has been fostered for a very long time, but there have been big and successful pushes to change this mind set and not to re-victimize by placing blame on things like, "what where you wearing?"  Thankfully in some states the laws have also changed, so that is not a question that can be asked in court, as sexual assaults under any circumstances should not be about what the victim was wearing.   

I also think that schools need to do a better job at educating students and staff about sexual assaults and also about the statutory rape statutes.

In my state, a 15 year old is not of age to legally consent to sexual intercourse with say an 18 year old but they are often in school together and school events together.  I don't know of many schools that warn the seniors of fraternizing with the freshman and the possible consequences of such. 

I was listening to the radio the other day and a mother was complaining that her husband would not allow their freshman daughter to go to prom with a senior.  Well, personally, I would not allow it either.  Why even introduce the temptation of having a relationship at all.  I know that just going to prom together does not mean that things will happen, but I feel like you are putting two individuals who may not have the maturity to understand the ramifications if a sexual encounter did take place together.  You have an 18 year old that can be convicted of sexual assault, incarcerated and labeled a sex offender and a 15 year old that can not legally give consent.    It's bad for all parties involved. 

• I also think that schools need to do a better job at educating students and staff about sexual assaults and also about the statutory rape statutes.

In my state, a 15 year old is not of age to legally consent to sexual intercourse with say an 18 year old but they are often in school together and school events together.  I don't know of many schools that warn the seniors of fraternizing with the freshman and the possible consequences of such. 

I was listening to the radio the other day and a mother was complaining that her husband would not allow their freshman daughter to go to prom with a senior.  Well, personally, I would not allow it either.  Why even introduce the temptation of having a relationship at all.  I know that just going to prom together does not mean that things will happen, but I feel like you are putting two individuals who may not have the maturity to understand the ramifications if a sexual encounter did take place together.  You have an 18 year old that can be convicted of sexual assault, incarcerated and labeled a sex offender and a 15 year old that can not legally give consent.    It's bad for all parties involved. 

This!  We're going through something a little bit similar in my family at the moment.  We have an 18 year old and a 14 year old who really want to be together, and I'm not so naive to think that the parents are 100% able to supervise meetings between people of those ages.  It's tough, because it's obvious that they really care about each other, but I'm more interested in making sure no one's going to go to prison.  DH thinks it's all very creepy, but they come from a small town, and the parents know each other very well, so they've basically been growing up together for several years, they know how they feel about each other.  And definitely not as creepy as that time my 21 year old bogan nephew tried to date a girl who was 13.  His defense was that she said she was 16.  How can someone not tell the difference between that?  Why are these kids not made aware of the legal ramifications of what they're doing?  And yes, my bogan nephew, definitely creepy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards