Chit Chat
Options

Back issues and Dr. Douchecanoe*** update in comments

edited April 2015 in Chit Chat
I went to the doctor's today, because my back is out.  I have been doing my physical therapy exercises, and have been working out. Everything seemed to be going well, until it just wasn't... my back is killing me.  I haven't been able to sleep for days. My previous doctor and my OBGYN cleared me to take painkillers for back pain while I am trying to conceive. (They said it has not shown any side effects to be harmful to pregnancy when taken infrequently.)
  I take about 4 painkillers a year. My back has to be really bad for me to justify taking it.  Usually I prefer taking a muscle relaxer, because instead of making me stupid, it relaxes my muscles and solves why I am having the pain.  Then, when the swelling goes down, I can visit my chiropractor and/ or do my back exercises. (Due to birth defect warnings, I have stopped taking muscle relaxers). 
   I went to the doctor, today, because my painkillers, that my primary care doctor said was safe, were past their expiration date.  This type of medication becomes highly ineffective as it passes the expiration date. I made an appointment to go in, and had to see another doctor. He did the mobility test on me (a variety of exercises like bending over, lifting legs, and swaying at the hips)) to see where I was having trouble. I explained to him, that the area was sensitive to touch, and he could tell I had a lot of weakness in my legs, and that I had very limited mobility because of the pain.    He made me lay down on the bed, and used both of his hands and pushed down on my low back, like he was giving me CPR on my spine.  He did this twice. I screamed out because it hurt so bad. WTF. Why would someone do that?  I have gone through mobility tests several times, and no doctor ever intentionally was that rough with me, knowing what hurt me (I hurt my back when I was 17 and no doctor has ever done that to me in almost 20 years).  Then he told me that he could not give me anything because he did not want to take any chances.  He intentionally hurt me, and then could not give me anything to make the pain stop. I was in tears at the end of the appointment because of the pain, and had to call my husband to pick me up, because I was no longer fit to drive. The doctor then told me to take tylenol.  Tylenol. If tylenol worked I would never use anything stronger. He also told me he is trained to manipulate a patient's muscles to help them fire correctly, and I should make an appointment. All I was thinking is, buddy, if that's how you put your hands on a patient on a bad day, why would I trust you to make me feel better? I told him I all ready have a chiropractor/ physical therapist who can help me with that.
   So my primary care doctor and my OBGYN are okay with this medicine while trying to conceive.  Should I make another appointment to see my PCP, or should I just deal with this? I have all ready stopped taking all other medications that can cause birth defects.
 Sorry for the long post. I felt I needed to share a lot of info to get the best advice.

Re: Back issues and Dr. Douchecanoe*** update in comments

• Options
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  Insensitive doctors are the worst!  I had a terrible x-ray tech when my elbow was dislocated, and I completely sympathize with what just happened to you.

Yes, if I were you, I would definitely go and see your regular doctor. Taking Tylenol on a regular basis can be very damaging, and as you said, it's not working for you.  Don't sit around and suffer just because someone else thinks he's God's gift to medicine.
  • Options
    I just get really concerned about people judging me.  My mother is on a crazy amount of prescribed painkillers, and I never want to go down that road. My younger sister is a drug addict.  I feel like this doctor was judging me, even though I brought in all of my unused pain killers that had expired.  He could see how little of them I had taken. 
      Should I mention to my doctor what happened with another doctor in his practice? Or should I let it go?
  • Options

I just get really concerned about people judging me.  My mother is on a crazy amount of prescribed painkillers, and I never want to go down that road. My younger sister is a drug addict.  I feel like this doctor was judging me, even though I brought in all of my unused pain killers that had expired.  He could see how little of them I had taken. 

Should I mention to my doctor what happened with another doctor in his practice? Or should I let it go?
    Yes, absolutely. Is this at your OBGYN or your PCP? I hope it's not your OBGYN, because I would not want that guy during labor.

Also, if both of your doctors that you have seen regularly say this medication is ok, who is he to say otherwise. Can't you just contact your regular doctor and have him/her refill your prescription, if douchecanoe doesn't feel comfortable doing it?

• Options
    natswildnatswild member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    @themuffinman16, absolutely, 1,000,000 percent complain about him to your primary care doctor, he could have potentially paralyzed you by pulling the shit that he did.  If your doctor isn't available immediately, consider going to the emergency department, and I would consider asking about xrays, as well.  I'M concerned, just from what you wrote here.  My aunt had her back broken by a doctor who did exactly what your douchcanoe did.
    Also, that would mean potentially getting the pain relief you need sooner.

Good luck!

ETA:  you might be able to tell that asshole doctors are a sore point for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Yes, absolutely. Is this at your OBGYN or your PCP? I hope it's not your OBGYN, because I would not want that guy during labor.

Also, if both of your doctors that you have seen regularly say this medication is ok, who is he to say otherwise. Can't you just contact your regular doctor and have him/her refill your prescription, if douchecanoe doesn't feel comfortable doing it?
    This is a doctor at my primary care physician's practice. I am not sure about calling over the phone. He is very busy, and I feel I wouldn't get the same attention over the phone.

The douchecanoe doctor also consulted with another doctor (also not my PCP) who wasn't comfortable prescribing me any medication, but I am not sure what he said to her to make her come to that conclusion.  My twin sister has back problems as well, and was allowed to take this medication while pregnant and nursing (as long as it was infrequently), and she has different OBGYN and a different PCP than I do.
  • Options
    natswild said:

@themuffinman16, absolutely, 1,000,000 percent complain about him to your primary care doctor, he could have potentially paralyzed you by pulling the shit that he did.  If your doctor isn't available immediately, consider going to the emergency department, and I would consider asking about xrays, as well.  I'M concerned, just from what you wrote here.  My aunt had her back broken by a doctor who did exactly what your douchcanoe did.
    Also, that would mean potentially getting the pain relief you need sooner.

Good luck!

ETA:  you might be able to tell that asshole doctors are a sore point for me.

That's what i was concerned about, I immediately had burning in my legs and weakness. It scared the hell out of me and made me extremely upset.  I cried the whole way home.
  • Options
    even more important then to be seen ASAP, that is REALLY concerning
  • Options
    also, whether you see your PC doctor, or the ER, make sure you tell them everything.
  • Options
    natswild said:

also, whether you see your PC doctor, or the ER, make sure you tell them everything.

I will. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    no problem :)  Being an EMT, I take issues like this really seriously!
  • Options
    I've learned that some doctors are SO concerned with prescribing pain meds (for obvious reasons) and some just don't believe in it. It depends on the physician. It sounds like he may have been trying to "sell" his services and is also one of those guys who is afraid to prescribe certain medications. 

I agree with PPs. Definitely tell your PC, just so they are aware, but I'm not sure there's much that can be done about it. Treatment and medication varies so much from doctor to doctor. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you!
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

If you end up going to ER make SURE to take your expired meds with you.  It is common for addicts to try to get pain meds in ER so they are pretty wary of prescribing harder stuff.  The last time I was in ER (I was having an allergic reaction to something), the guy in next bed had every story in the book about why he needed something stronger than tramadol and why he doesn't have a regular doctor, and why was everyone giving him a hassle, etc.  They wouldn't give him anything better than tramadol and he left.  It was a very slow evening in the ER and I heard a couple of nurses at the station saying something to the effect of, "doesn't he think we remember his last 6 trips here trying to get pain med?  but he still has no regular doctor?"

I had a brother who was a serious addict and tried that stuff too.  If you take your meds in there with you they will be able to see you are responsible and not an addict.  Even if they can only give you a few days worth to get you through til you can see your doctor it might help.

ETA - absolutely absolutely absolutey tell your doctor about your experience with the douchecanoe doctor!   I know in my doctor's office I can leave a voicemail for her to listen to later in the day.  If you have that option, use it to get the ball rolling.

• Options
    I'm so sorry :( I have back issues too so I know how unbearable it can be (I also avoid taking painkillers and would rather take muscle relaxers, use heat pads, etc). I'm sorry you have to deal with that level of pain and then also deal with some dumbfuck doctor who did that to you. 

I was once sitting on an exam table crying because I was in pain from a kidney stone, and the doctor PUNCHED ME IN THE KIDNEY just to make sure that was "really where it was hurting." I've never felt anything so awful in my life. Some doctors just really fucking suck and probably should not be doctors. 

I agree with PP about complaining about this guy and also about going to a different doctor and explaining everything. Good luck. I hope you get so releif soon. 
  • Options
    I think complaining to the other doc is fine, but if you want some actual mediation, follow your insurance company's grievance procedure. Call and say you want to file a formal grievance against your physician, you'll probably get transferred to the grievance/appeals dept and then you can state your case. 

At the insurance company I used to work at, doctors could only rack up a certain number of substantiated complaints in a given time period (it's lower than you think - 5 in 2 years if I remember right). Once they hit that threshold, they were put on a corrective action plan. If they continued to rack up complaints, they were kicked out of network. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I think complaining to the other doc is fine, but if you want some actual mediation, follow your insurance company's grievance procedure. Call and say you want to file a formal grievance against your physician, you'll probably get transferred to the grievance/appeals dept and then you can state your case. 

At the insurance company I used to work at, doctors could only rack up a certain number of substantiated complaints in a given time period (it's lower than you think - 5 in 2 years if I remember right). Once they hit that threshold, they were put on a corrective action plan. If they continued to rack up complaints, they were kicked out of network. 
    This.  I work in health care administration and would also suggest calling the administrator to file a formal complaint.  In my experience, with a legitimate claim like you have, combined with the insurance grievance, you have a very good chance of not being billed for his "service".  OR you may be reimbursed if you've already paid your copay.  
  • Options
    @muffinman16 - glad you're feeling better! I always find good reviews about doctors just as helpful as bad ones. There are all kinds of places on the interwebs to review him. You should.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Yay! I'm so happy you got some real help. I hope you continue to feel better. 
  • Options
    Thanks @novella1186 and @southernbelle0915. I appreciate it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards