Wedding Party

Tuxes or Suits for Boys in the Wedding?

edited April 2015 in Wedding Party
We are including Fi's two nephews in the bridal party (2 and 10 years old).  Do they need to wear tuxes like the groomsman?  The 2-year old is the ring bearer and the 10-year old (his brother) is walking with him down the aisle.    I'm thinking a tux is a little much for a 2-year old, and I was going to tell my SIL to just put him in a little black suit of her choice.  But, what about the 10 year old; does he need to wear a tux because he's older? 

Re: Tuxes or Suits for Boys in the Wedding?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Tuxedos are for adults.  Children under the age of 12 should never wear them.
    A dark suit would be appropriate for the 10 year old.  Most two year olds (He is way too young, IMHO!) would wear short pants and a jacket with long tie.  Easter outfits will usually work.

Many ministers and priests would object to a two year old in the wedding party.  He will be clueless as to what is happening, and it can be very stressful on a young child.  I strongly urge you to rethink this!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • They can both wear suits. Tuxes are for adults.

I would just tell your sister "any dark suit". Kids grow out of stuff so fast...they may already have something they can use without needing to buy something special for the wedding. If they don't already have something, they could get one lightly used and/or one they can use again for church or whatever.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yeah, tuxes seem like too much.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • A kid in a tux will look strange.
  • The two boys should wear suits. The little one should wear an Eton suit, if possible. If the wedding is coming up soon, you should check out JC Penney, Sears etc... for after Easter clearance. 

Product Details

• I've seen small kids in tuxes at weddings before and I know it's just about as expensive for the kid's tux rental as for the adults. Please don't do that to those parents.

Find out if they already have something (such as an Easter outfit) that would be appropriate to wear at a wedding and let them wear that. Kids grow out of clothes way to fast to spend a lot of money on something they may only get to wear once to your wedding before they've grown out of it.

If you want them to wear a certain color/type of suit, I'd suggest looking first at chidlren's secondhand or consignment shops for something gently used and not as expensive.
  • A tux is evening wear, and putting a little boy in a tux is like putting a little girl in a strapless cocktail dress. Not age appropriate. 
  • Ditto PP.  For my wedding, knowing that suit/tux rentals for kids cost just as much if not more than the adults, I just asked my SIL to get any black suit for her boys.  I made a point to tell her that the GM were wearing regular ties and not bow ties, so she didn't feel like she had to get something with a bow tie, which can cost more sometimes.  I found a website that had cheap suits for boys, tinytux.com.  I also told her to look at ebay.  She ended up buying them off of amazon for about $40 each, I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards