Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bringing a BM to the salon

I'm getting my makeup done at a salon, and I would really like for one of my BMs to come with me to give a second opinion and make sure everything looks right. However, I haven't offered to pay for my BMs' hair or makeup, and they seemed to prefer to do it themselves anyway. Would it be inappropriate to ask one of the BMs to come to the salon with me and just hang out while I get my makeup done?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bringing a BM to the salon

• edited April 2015
    I don't see how a bridesmaid joining you for a second opinion equals them having to get their makeup done too.   If you're worried that they'll be confused, you can offer for them to use the same salon, but let them know it's not required.  I did this with my bridal party and I have two girls coming to the salon with me and another is doing her own hair/makeup.  
  • As a bridesmaid I would be okay with this. It just shows you value their opinion. Is the salon far away?
  • As a bridesmaid I would be okay with this. It just shows you value their opinion. Is the salon far away?

Nope, it's half a block from my apartment (where I will be feeding them breakfast on the day of)

Glad to know I'm in the clear on this one :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't see a problem with this. As long as you're clear, like "Hey will you come along just to hang out and give me your opinion on it?" no big deal. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for one of my friends. I would actually be a bit flattered that they trusted my opinion on makeup so much that they want me there, ya know?
  • I don't see a problem with this. As long as you're clear, like "Hey will you come along just to hang out and give me your opinion on it?" no big deal. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for one of my friends. I would actually be a bit flattered that they trusted my opinion on makeup so much that they want me there, ya know?

That makes sense. What I really want (with the particular BM I plan to ask) is for her to help me be assertive with the MUA. When I had my trial I kept asking her to tweak some things I didn't love and she was pushing back and not really listening. If she doesn't listen to me...my bossypants BM will tell her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

I don't see a problem with this. As long as you're clear, like "Hey will you come along just to hang out and give me your opinion on it?" no big deal. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for one of my friends. I would actually be a bit flattered that they trusted my opinion on makeup so much that they want me there, ya know?

That makes sense. What I really want (with the particular BM I plan to ask) is for her to help me be assertive with the MUA. When I had my trial I kept asking her to tweak some things I didn't love and she was pushing back and not really listening. If she doesn't listen to me...my bossypants BM will tell her.
    Lol that's perfect! All the more reason to bring her along ;) 
  • blabla89 said:

I don't see a problem with this. As long as you're clear, like "Hey will you come along just to hang out and give me your opinion on it?" no big deal. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for one of my friends. I would actually be a bit flattered that they trusted my opinion on makeup so much that they want me there, ya know?

Why are you still using that MUA?  If she wasn't listening to your requests I would have dropped her and found someone that would listen to me and did work that I liked.

• blabla89 said:

Why are you still using that MUA?  If she wasn't listening to your requests I would have dropped her and found someone that would listen to me and did work that I liked.
    I wanted to, and I started looking for a new MUA. By the time I had my trial, just about everyone in my price range who had decent reviews was already booked for the time slot I needed :(

So I'm stuck with this MUA, but I made a list of specific things to tell her before we start so that hopefully it'll work out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards