Wedding Reception Forum

Toasts - Are the bride & groom expected to do them?

I know that the moh and best man are supposed to give a speech/toast. But are the bride and groom supposed to say anything during this time?

If so, could you list an example? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Toasts - Are the bride & groom expected to do them?

• No one is 'supposed to' give a toast. If one wishes to do so, they may choose to of their own accord but should not be asked/expected. A toast should never be a speech and ought not last more than a minute or two max.

The bride and groom should greet their guests individually and thank them for coming, whether that is done in a receiving line or by visiting tables at the reception. The bride and groom should not toast at their own wedding.
  • Toasts are given in honor of the couple.  You don't toast yourself, and you don't ask someone to toast you. Sometimes the honor attendants give toasts, sometimes the parents do, sometimes other people will ask to give a toast.

You can stand up and welcome everyone (in addition to personally thanking everyone for coming), but you don't have to. That wouldn't be a toast. Sometimes parents do this if they host the wedding. 
  • DH and I gave a quick "thank you for coming/traveling/supporting" toast at our RD. Probably about 1 minute to say thanks and tell people to go ahead and hit the buffet. 

At the wedding itself, no. Thanking guests should be individually via a receiving line or table visits (or both). 
    *********************************************************************************

• No one gave any type of speech or toast at our wedding.  And I don't think anyone missed it.

If you and your FI wish to say a few words then that is up to you.  But that does not take the place of thanking each person individually.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards