Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination Wedding Santorini 2016

Hi!
We finally got engaged and decided to get married in Santorini-Greece next June.We have been in touch with Alexandra from Gold-Weddings Santorini and she is very helpful so we are about to book.I'm feeling so excited and I just wanted to share it! Is anyone else getting married there too?

Re: Destination Wedding Santorini 2016

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Hi!

We finally got engaged and decided to get married in Santorini-Greece next June.We have been in touch with XXXX from XXXXXXX and she is very helpful so we are about to book.I'm feeling so excited and I just wanted to share it! Is anyone else getting married there too?
    Are either of you Greek? Live in Greece? EU citizens? You do realise there are months of residency requirements, embassy certificates, paper work, visas and other forms to actually get married in Greece. Don't listen to her if she tells you otherwise. Just don't want you to give this person money when all the is planning is a PPD- super tacky and rude.

The EU has strict rules that are very different to the US when it comes to weddings.

ETF- didn't want to requote a vendor name so blocked out the name.
  • Lisa Hi! 
    Thanks for the info but
    We are about to have a Symbollic wedding in Santorini! It is not possible all our relatives to fly to Santorini for our wedding!
    Thankfully she informed us that it would be easier(concerning the paperwork,) to have a Symbollic rather than a civil wedding .Whilst other planners  proposed civil- as it is more expensive.Really honest of her!
  • Lisa Hi! 

Thanks for the info but
    We are about to have a Symbollic wedding in Santorini! It is not possible all our relatives to fly to Santorini for our wedding!
    Thankfully she informed us that it would be easier(concerning the paperwork,) to have a Symbollic rather than a civil wedding .Whilst other planners  proposed civil- as it is more expensive.Really honest of her!
    So you are asking people to fly to Greece for a fake wedding? I sincerely hope you are being honest and telling your guests it's not a real wedding. Hope you enjoy your holiday in Greece but your wedding is the day you get married in the US.
  • Of course they know that I'm having a symbollic wedding they are my close relatives!
    It is your opinion that this type of weddings is a fake wedding!
    So according to your opinion we can rename the symbollic wedding as" fake wedding" from now on thanks to you!
  • So you think it's perfectly appropriate to invite your family not to see you get married? But play like its a wedding?

Hopefully you inform them all beforehand of what's actually happening and not playing pretend with your ceremony.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Lisa Hi! 

Thanks for the info but
    Civil wedding?  You mean a LEGAL wedding!  You wedding in Greece is NOT legal.  It is PPD if you are inviting guests.  If you cannot get married in Greece, then you should plan your wedding for somewhere you can get legally married.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Of course they know that I'm having a symbollic wedding they are my close relatives!
    It is your opinion that this type of weddings is a fake wedding!
    So according to your opinion we can rename the symbollic wedding as" fake wedding" from now on thanks to you!
    Just call it your Pretty Princess Day.  That is all that it is.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have a hunch OP is the Santorini vendor... It amazing how this poster is so quick to defend her Greek wedding planner rather than her wedding plans. Also, Yanks rarely use "whilst" however, Europeans who learned English from Brits, do.
  • And a quick 5 minutes of googling shows all the reviews of this vendor and the post here make the same unique grammar/syntax/ punctuation mistakes, even from allegedly native English speakers. OP, vendors aren't allowed on here, it's against ToS.

Also, just a piece of business advice, it is painfully obvious you are writing all of your "reviews" on various sites (FB, wedding wire etc). It actually means people are much LESS likely to use you as it seems untrustworthy. I realise you are trying to expand your business but you need to do it honestly and professionally. Writing your own reviews (which is beyond obvious that you are doing) reads: "I don't have any real reviewers, so don't believe anything I say".
  • Your opinion again! 
  • And a quick 5 minutes of googling shows all the reviews of this vendor and the post here make the same unique grammar/syntax/ punctuation mistakes, even from allegedly native English speakers. OP, vendors aren't allowed on here, it's against ToS.

Also, just a piece of business advice, it is painfully obvious you are writing all of your "reviews" on various sites (FB, wedding wire etc). It actually means people are much LESS likely to use you as it seems untrustworthy. I realise you are trying to expand your business but you need to do it honestly and professionally. Writing your own reviews (which is beyond obvious that you are doing) reads: "I don't have any real reviewers, so don't believe anything I say".

I submitted a request for an IP check last week.

• OP- I recommend changing your user name so you can be easily identified when posting. It helps other members get to know you and remember you when you post.

Congrats on getting engaged. You will find that symbolic ceremonies are frowned upon, because they are not actually weddings (a wedding is when you legally marry), and symbolic destination weddings are even more frowned upon. This is because you are asking your guests to travel a long distance from home and spend thousands of dollars to witness a "re-enactment" rather than your actual wedding. Most people want to see someone actually get married, which is when the couple legally marries. 

You alluded to telling your guests that your Santorini event is symbolic only. If that is the case, I think it's great that you were honest with everyone. That way, people know the truth and can choose whether or not they want to travel to see a symbolic exchange of vows. Also, if at all possible, I do recommend holding your legal wedding AFTER your symbolic ceremony. That way, your guests are seeing an engaged couple exchange vows for the very first time rather than seeing a husband and wife re-do their vows.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards