Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Chef from tasting leaves before your wedding.

My fiancé and I are in the process of looking at venues.  We are concerned that if the Chef that prepares our tasting leaves, the recipes/style of cooking could also change with a new chef, which would not be what we agreed to, with the venue, when the contract was signed.  This is a bigger issue for him than be, but I do understand his concern.  Has anyone ever felt this way or had an issue related to this? How did you handle it with the venue?   

Re: Chef from tasting leaves before your wedding.

• Moved to get more responses.

• Your contract is with the venue, not the chef. So if they change out chefs, I would think the contract is still valid - unless it specifically states that its null and void unless so-and-so prepares the food. I doubt any venue would ever agree to that though. What if the chef is sick the day of your wedding?

Anyway, if they get a new chef, you could ask for a new tasting. But unless the menu changed with the chef, I see no reason why you'd need one.
    *********************************************************************************

• Your contract is with the venue, not the chef. So if they change out chefs, I would think the contract is still valid - unless it specifically states that its null and void unless so-and-so prepares the food. I doubt any venue would ever agree to that though. What if the chef is sick the day of your wedding? Anyway, if they get a new chef, you could ask for a new tasting. But unless the menu changed with the chef, I see no reason why you'd need one.
    All of this.

When you choose a venue that provides food then your contract is with the venue not the specific chef.  If you are really concerned about this then you may want to find a venue where you can bring in your own caterer so you have more control over who will be cooking your food on your wedding day.

And how large is this venue you are looking at?  I mean there is typically a head chef but you do realize that if you go with a decent size venue that the head chef you meet the day of your tasting is most likely will not be cooking the majority of your food right?  That chef will oversee the other chefs/staff in the kitchen who will be most likely cooking your food.  It is like going to Bobby Flay's restaurant and then being pissed that Bobby Flay didn't cook your food.

• You can see if you can have added to the new contract that if the cook staff changes before your wedding that you would like another tasting. Even if the staff doesn't change, you still risk that Chef needing the night off for something personal or even being sick the day of your wedding & calling off.
  • It happens.  DH has cooked for event tastings only to leave before the event happened.    It's just the chance you take.   

DH has also come into a place with pre-signed events.    He is not fond of cooking other people's menus, but he does. 

There is nothing you can do to stop chefs from moving around.  If you find a chef has changed you can ask for a new tasting.  A few times DH's food ended up better then their tasting.  Or they ended up changing the menu to a better menu because DH's strengths might be different then the other chef's.

A change in chef doesn't always have to be a negative.  Most time you never know there was a change.  

A good exec chef as a good team behind him so he doesn't have to be there all the time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Most of the time, the kitchen staff will cook your meals for your event, not the chef. The chef is there to look over thing and usually makes the menu and does the ordering. The kitchen staff goes by a recipe an it usually wont change (due to you agreeing on your food), but they will usually do another tasting if a chef leaves. My fiance works for a catering company and I work a few weddings/events every once and a while so I see that whole side of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards