Honeymoon Discussions

NHMR & XP from TN: Train to/from London to Southampton

als1982als1982 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
edited April 2015 in Honeymoon Discussions

We leave in 9 days for a three week trip that includes a 7 night cruise to Norway out of Southampton, England. We travel to London the night before (the Eurostar from Paris, tickets that have already been booked) and are staying near the St. Pancras station. The next morning we have to get ourselves down to Southampton, which I'm under the assumption is about a 1.5 hour train ride away (with one stop between). I'd like to go ahead and book the train tickets now, but H thinks it will be better to wait until the day of. For those of you who've visited the UK, what would you do?  Thanks in advance!!

Re: NHMR & XP from TN: Train to/from London to Southampton

• We're heading to UK/London in November and staying in Southampton for the first 3 nights so we can visit Portsmouth and some other attractions outside of Portsmouth/Southampton. We're going to pre-book our tickets because we have a somewhat tight schedule to keep and don't want to fool around with the tickets once we land at Heathrow (though we will be filling up our Oyster cards at the airport to get to the train station). However, we've previously purchased tickets once we've gotten there and had no problems. Since you have a timetable to stick to, I'd just buy the tickets ahead of time.

• Absolutely do not wait and book the day of! Train tickets in Britain are like plane tickets- the prices go up the longer you wait. Also, just because you have a ticket doens't guarantee you a seat. You need to book at least 24 hours in advance to guarantee that you aren't standing the whole way. (Although this route may be Southwest trains which doesn't reserve seats)

The best site is to go through is: thetrainline.co.uk

It is like the kayak of UK trains. Tickets are generally available from 12 weeks before your travel. Also, you will save if you book off-peak tickets (usually if you don't travel during rush hour, but check with the service). 

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. 
  • Also, if you are going to Southampton, you will most likely be leaving through Waterloo Station, not St Pancras. However, if you walk to Euston Station, which is really close to KingsCross/SP you can get on the correct branch of the Northern Line to Waterloo (just to add to confusion of the tourists, there are 2 branches of the Northern Line- you want the one that goes via Charing Cross, not the one that goes via Bank). 

And best advice I can tell you about the eurostar: Get a bottle of champagne, a baguette and some meats/ cheeses in Paris before the train. There are no liquid restrictions and it is a great place to picnic :)
  • Also, if you are going to Southampton, you will most likely be leaving through Waterloo Station, not St Pancras. However, if you walk to Euston Station, which is really close to KingsCross/SP you can get on the correct branch of the Northern Line to Waterloo (just to add to confusion of the tourists, there are 2 branches of the Northern Line- you want the one that goes via Charing Cross, not the one that goes via Bank). 

And best advice I can tell you about the eurostar: Get a bottle of champagne, a baguette and some meats/ cheeses in Paris before the train. There are no liquid restrictions and it is a great place to picnic :)
    I didn't even notice the station. OP-We are leaving from Waterloo on our trip.

• I have done this.  It is Waterloo Station.  Get there very early.  It is quite a hike.  If you have a lot of luggage, a cab would be the best way to get to the train station.  The Chunnel train also uses Waterloo Station.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • als1982als1982 member
    edited April 2015
    Absolutely do not wait and book the day of! Train tickets in Britain are like plane tickets- the prices go up the longer you wait. Also, just because you have a ticket doens't guarantee you a seat. You need to book at least 24 hours in advance to guarantee that you aren't standing the whole way. (Although this route may be Southwest trains which doesn't reserve seats)

It is like the kayak of UK trains. Tickets are generally available from 12 weeks before your travel. Also, you will save if you book off-peak tickets (usually if you don't travel during rush hour, but check with the service). 

Thank you, thank you @LondonLisa!!  

ETA:  Also, do you have any suggestions on things we shouldn't miss?  Really, the only thing we have planned is tickets for a Tottenham Hotspur match!  Our typical travel style is just to stroll and enjoy the city.  Oh, and we'll likely drink lots of beer in England and wine in France!!
  • Do get back to us about your cruise!  I am booked on a similar cruise out of Rotterdam in September.  I would love to hear your feedback!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

I have done this.  It is Waterloo Station.  Get there very early.  It is quite a hike.  If you have a lot of luggage, a cab would be the best way to get to the train station.  The Chunnel train also uses Waterloo Station.

Just an FYI- The Eurostar used to go to Waterloo but about 5-10 years ago it switched to St Pancras. Just don't want you going to the wrong station. 

Most Southampton trains do go from Waterloo however some go from Paddington. Just make sure you check your tickets.
  • Oh, thanks London Lisa!  I traveled on it in 2004 with my grown children.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    als1982 said:

Absolutely do not wait and book the day of! Train tickets in Britain are like plane tickets- the prices go up the longer you wait. Also, just because you have a ticket doens't guarantee you a seat. You need to book at least 24 hours in advance to guarantee that you aren't standing the whole way. (Although this route may be Southwest trains which doesn't reserve seats)

ETA:  Also, do you have any suggestions on things we shouldn't miss?  Really, the only thing we have planned is tickets for a Tottenham Hotspur match!  Our typical travel style is just to stroll and enjoy the city.  Oh, and we'll likely drink lots of beer in England and wine in France!!

I don't know much about Southampton, I'm afraid. However, in London definitely go to the British Museum (it's free!), if you are foodies go to Borough Market, and try and avoid the big chain pubs (instead try to find a local). Where are you staying? If you have time do the Tower of London and the London Eye. 
  • als1982als1982 member
    edited April 2015

als1982 said:

I don't know much about Southampton, I'm afraid. However, in London definitely go to the British Museum (it's free!), if you are foodies go to Borough Market, and try and avoid the big chain pubs (instead try to find a local). Where are you staying? If you have time do the Tower of London and the London Eye. 

I've heard from others that the British Museum is fantastic, so we'll definitely make sure to visit.  We're staying at the Apex Temple Court Hotel on Fleet Street.  Hope it wasn't a bad choice, because it's too late to change!  :)
  • als1982 said:

als1982 said:

I've heard from others that the British Museum is fantastic, so we'll definitely make sure to visit.  We're staying at the Apex Temple Court Hotel on Fleet Street.  Hope it wasn't a bad choice, because it's too late to change!  :)

No, that is a fine area- its on Fleet Street/ near the city. However, you do realise that isn't near St Pancras (You mentioned before that you were staying near there)? You'll have to take a taxi from there and to waterloo. It will be a short ride, but it would be a bit of a hike with luggage.
  • als1982als1982 member

als1982 said:

als1982 said:

No, that is a fine area- its on Fleet Street/ near the city. However, you do realise that isn't near St Pancras (You mentioned before that you were staying near there)? You'll have to take a taxi from there and to waterloo. It will be a short ride, but it would be a bit of a hike with luggage.

Good to know!  And we're spending the bulk of our stay at the Apex, but one night at the nearby Tune hotel since we get in on the late train, and then planned to head directly to Southampton the next morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards