Virginia

Booked a Venue... Now Cocktail & Hors d'oeuvres Reception vs. Buffet/Sitdown Reception?

I'm so excited I booked the Marriot at Waterside for my wedding but now I'm trying to decide if I want to have a sit down dinner or have TONS of delicious and filling Hors d'oeuvres. I was thinking a buffet style and pass arounds, but if I get to many negative thoughts I may go the traditional route with the sit down dinner. O the wedding should be around 5:30 so I was thinking 7 for the reception. I'm not sure if i would want to have the reception on the terrace where I am getting married or inside. So many decisions!

Re: Booked a Venue... Now Cocktail & Hors d'oeuvres Reception vs. Buffet/Sitdown Reception?

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally, I've found that the quality of the food is better when it is buffet or passed  hors d'oeuvres -- everything is generally cooked better, and I like having more variety to choose from.  I also think that chefs are more adventurous with hors d'oeuvres.   Buffets make it easier to keep everything the right temperature and keep food from getting dried out or mushy or whatever (my general complaint about plated dinners). 

I would recommend looking at sample menus for all of your options, and maybe try to arrange a tasting to see what you think.   Also, buffets and hors d'oeuvres can get expensive, so you'll want to pay attention to your budget:-) 

DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    With a wedding and reception at that time, I would be expecting a sit down dinner as a guest.  We did buffet-style at our wedding and it went well.  We had several different stations around the room, so people could help themselves without having to wait in lines.  We also had passed hors' douerves and a cheese/fruit table during our photo time after the ceremony.  It seemed to go over well - got good reviews!
  • fiestyjfiestyj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do like the buffet idea, well buffet or Hour Douerves I'm pretty sure I will stay clear of the sit down plated menu. THANKS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards