Second Weddings

Joining the crowd

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to introduce myself, since I've lurked around for months!

I'm Sharon, and my FI and I are both headed towards our 2nd marriage July 8m 2011!  My first was at the courthouse, and his was 20+ years ago with a big church wedding.  Between us we have 4 kids, 2 in college , 1 about to go (oh the college application nightmare I'm living right now!), and a middle-schooler.  I'm local to the DC Metro area, and we are both big boaters, so our wedding will be held along the water outside of Annapolis.  Ceremony outside, cocktail reception inside/outside and seated dinner inside, for about 80 ppl. 

So far I've secured the venue, florist, photographer, stationary (STDs went out 2 weeks ago!), dress, menu/bar selections and hotel blocks.  I'm currently working on officiant, transportation (we want to shuttle all the guests from their hotel to the venue and back), photobooth, videography and makeup artist. 

So far I'm feeling confident, but we'll see.  My kids (girls) are suddenly starting to find things to nitpik my FI about (who has been living with us for 4 years), such as  "he chews too loud".  Ahh, teen years...

I hope to find some like minded people on this board.  I usually post on my local or month board, but I find that many of the items in my life, they can't relate to, so hopefully this will be the board for me to voice questions with the right audience.

Thanks for listening!
Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Joining the crowd

• MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations!!  Sounds like you have a lot done!  We have our vendors, venue and officiant (2nd one, 1st one is due on our wedding date).  You are further ahead than we are, we don't go in for tastings and menu creation until after the holidays.  I've been working on the hotel block issue but am having a tough time meeting the criteria of the FI's family and the budget of my family.

We're just starting the college application process with my FI's daughter (only child), it's a bit of a nightmare.  LOL

I'm sorry to hear that your girls are starting to nitpik, teenagers are such fun!  I hope that my FDSD does not start that. she hasn't yet, and is very bonded to me.

Welcome and you will find this board to have a lot of great, supportive ladies, who offer great advice!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!

My FI and I are also planning our second wedding.  Together we have four kids 22,20, 12 and 10, a boy and girl each with my children in the younger range.  We're also in the DC metro area, but we planned a NYC wedding.  Our families are all there, and we thought it would be easier on everyone.  Hmph... Easier on everyone except us!  Our wedding is about a month away, and its finally hitting home that this is going to happen.  Still a few things to do, but what I am focusing on most is how to schlep all our wedding things to NY.  Its going to be a very packed truck!

We also love the water and we're having our wedding aboard the Spirit of NY, which circles around NYC and has a great view of the Statue of Liberty.  I am hoping for a clear, crisp, NY day, but we'll see what we get.

Also sorry to hear about the nitpicking.  My kids feel that my FI is the best thing since sliced bread, and usually find things about me to nitpik about.  Try to roll with the punches and let them know that they are entitled to their opinions...HOWEVER, they do not have to feel the need to share them.... Smile
  • mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_joining-crowd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:b2547882-1f2a-4c32-b5ed-0ba1ef159e68Post:eb281687-c149-4adf-ab53-a4afa758f476">Re: Joining the crowd</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome! My FI and I are also planning our second wedding.  Together we have four kids 22,20, 12 and 10, a boy and girl each with my children in the younger range.  We're also in the DC metro area, but we planned a NYC wedding.  Our families are all there, and we thought it would be easier on everyone.  Hmph... Easier on everyone except us!  Our wedding is about a month away, and its finally hitting home that this is going to happen.  Still a few things to do, but what I am focusing on most is how to schlep all our wedding things to NY.  Its going to be a very packed truck! We also love the water and we're having our wedding aboard the Spirit of NY, which circles around NYC and has a great view of the Statue of Liberty.  I am hoping for a clear, crisp, NY day, but we'll see what we get. Also sorry to hear about the nitpicking.  My kids feel that my FI is the best thing since sliced bread, and usually find things about me to nitpik about.  Try to roll with the punches and let them know that <strong>they are entitled to their opinions...HOWEVER, they do not have to feel the need to share them....</strong>
    Posted by arv266[/QUOTE]

Love this!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!
    Anniversary
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Sharon & welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your wedding.

I totally get the nitpicky teens, my 16 y/o daughter (youngest of all our 5 combined kids) is the one we deal with. She's getting better though.

My son is in DC, in his 2nd year of grad school at GWU. We'll be there in May for his graduation on the mall. So I've seen the college admissions stuff TWICE, for his first 4 years, and grad school! And then, I get to go through it again in less than 2 years! Glad I have a bit of a respite though.
  • edited December 2011

Hi Sharon.  Welcome.  Sounds like you have a lot taken care of.  Make me feel like I'm really behind since our wedding date is the same as yours!  We have all of our vendors with the exception of the DJ.  We have 3 options for our officiant, just going down the list to see if our first choice will do it.  My STD's are almost finished and hope to get them out no later than Nov 6.

We have 5 children between us, range from 30 to 9.  Look forward to getting to know you!
    Teresa

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  I also live in the DC area.  And I went to college for two years at St. John's in Annapolis.  As for the kids, when I was divorced, the first suggestion mine made was that they should alternate custody in such a way that they never saw each other.  However, they are both now through college (son is working, daughter is in grad school to become a midwife), and have become much more bearable.  ;-)
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen you around on both the DC Local and the July 2011 boards.  Welcome to the Second Weddings board!  This is a fun group of ladies, with real life interjecting itself as we mosey and/or scramble toward marriage.  Several of us are old enough to be mothers to a lot of the ladies on some of the other boards, so perspectives here about things are definitely not what is found elsewhere.

I love this board!!!
  • mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_joining-crowd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:b2547882-1f2a-4c32-b5ed-0ba1ef159e68Post:778d9ea4-609a-4252-b7f7-48ab3f5a424c">Re: Joining the crowd</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Sharon.  Welcome.  Sounds like you have a lot taken care of.  Make me feel like I'm really behind since <strong>our wedding date is the same as yours</strong>!  We have all of our vendors with the exception of the DJ.  We have 3 options for our officiant, just going down the list to see if our first choice will do it.  My STD's are almost finished and hope to get them out no later than Nov 6. We have 5 children between us, range from 30 to 9.  Look forward to getting to know you! Teresa
    Posted by rapunnzzll@aol.com[/QUOTE]

Yea - a date twin!  I hadn't come across anyone yet that was doing a Friday wedding.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  We had our wedding in July.  I'm not much on planning, but luckily for me my best friend is.  H and I have each have an adult son.

You'll like it here :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yea - a date twin!  I hadn't come across anyone yet that was doing a Friday wedding.

We're seriously thinking about a Thursday wedding if my parents plan to attend.  My Mom's family reunion is on a Saturday in Florida, Mom and Dad are in Missouri, and I'm in NC.  If we do it on the Thursday before, they can "swing by" on their way.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards