Snarky Brides

No potluck weddings allowed!

Talked to my venue today and while discussing my choice of caterer, I found out that my venue does not allow pot luck weddings or some homemade wedding cakes. Turns out the state it's in does not allow food to be brought in that was prepared by people who aren't licensed to prepare meals. It's the whole: food poisoning can ruin a wedding thing. .

So yeah, for anyone out there considering a pot luck wedding, if you needed any additional reasons as to why it would be a terrible idea, here's another: your venue may not allow it.

Re: No potluck weddings allowed!

• Good for them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Potluck weddings are a terrible idea for so many reasons. I am going to one this month out of obligation, NOT looking forward to it. FH and I are already looking up the nearby restaurants so we can go get actual food afterwards.
  • I totally get that... because if everyone gets food poisoning, the venue's name will be associated with it.  Plus, unless it's a backyard BBQ or something, potluck food usually sucks.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I totally get that... because if everyone gets food poisoning, the venue's name will be associated with it.  Plus, unless it's a backyard BBQ or something, potluck food usually sucks.

Not only associated with, but could be sued.  Even if they are found not liability  (which I would assume they would have some liability by allowing pot-luck to being with), they incur costs to fight the charges. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Our venue didn't allow any food that wasn't from a licensed caterer. I think they made exceptions for some baked goods, but that's it. We also wouldn't have been allowed to have a cash bar even if we were tacky enough to want one.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Our venue didn't allow any food that wasn't from a licensed caterer. I think they made exceptions for some baked goods, but that's it. We also wouldn't have been allowed to have a cash bar even if we were tacky enough to want one.

Our venue has the same rule. The ONLY exception is for commercially packaged candy for favors. If we want to order cupcakes from somewhere else, we have to prove they have a license first.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Good. Potlucks suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Yup, I think she said some cakes would be fine but no cream cheese frosting or any sort of frosting/filling that would require refridgeration (I think). We're not doing a cake so I didn't really pay attention to the details.
  • We didn't have a potluck, but the baker we hired didn't have a license so I had to sign a waiver to bring in the cake. It was delicious and beautiful, but I totally get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards